Gibson Brands Forums

Springsteen on Broadway

blindboygrunt

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking forward to both seeing the Netflix presentation and hearing the soundtrack which I see just went up on Spotify today.

When I saw his solo acoustic shows supporting Ghost of Tom Joad his acoustics were all quacky but yeah, nobody cared including me.

Never been a fan of Springsteen, more of an anti fan... I got to give him his due though, he's stayed true to himself, always promoted a positive message (from the limited sampling I've had) and more than anything, he's endured the test of time. Maybe I'll give it go.

Any chance of me listening to Springsteen ended when he used the state for a political pulpit.

Ditto.

I feel that way about all entertainers. I want to be entertained, not hear one's political or religious views. There's plenty of venues from which I can obtain that.

I have no problem with anyones views or knowing what their views are, but when I want entertainment I don't want to hear the other stuff.

Case in point: the new TV show 911 quickly became one of my favorites. Had a couple of my favorite actor/actresses (Angela Bassett, Peter Krause) and a good mix of drama, comedy and highlighting social issues (about like this forum). A few weeks ago they felt the need to shoot a barb at a top political figure. I quit watching it. I don't care what side of the line you're on, keep it to yourself.

I was very fortunate to get tickets through a lottery Springsteen held, and saw the show in its first week of previews. It was fantastic. I don't recall there being anything political about it. Simply a man's life story (if one is ever simple), an explanation of why he wrote some key songs, and a willful deconstruction of his carefully crafted myth. It was a brilliant performance, but I can easily see the show being performed by someone other than Springsteen and it still being successful, the book (the stories told) and the music are so well integrated and the themes so universal. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the Netflix version.

Red 333

Ditto.

I feel that way about all entertainers. I want to be entertained, not hear one's political or religious views. There's plenty of venues from which I can obtain that.

I have no problem with anyones views or knowing what their views are, but when I want entertainment I don't want to hear the other stuff.

Case in point: the new TV show 911 quickly became one of my favorites. Had a couple of my favorite actor/actresses (Angela Bassett, Peter Krause) and a good mix of drama, comedy and highlighting social issues (about like this forum). A few weeks ago they felt the need to shoot a barb at a top political figure. I quit watching it. I don't care what side of the line you're on, keep it to yourself.

My point exactly! Politics (left or right) doesn't belong on the entertainment stage.

My point exactly! Politics (left or right) doesn't belong on the entertainment stage.

I'd say the opposite is true. We don't need entertainers (like reality-show stars) in politics....

C'mon. Get serious. Anybody with an IQ higher than room temperature knows what they're going to get with people like Springsteen, Earle, Nugent, Charlie Daniels, Dylan, Neil Young, CSN, Kid Rock, Garth Brooks, Hank Jr., et al. Ralph Stanley made a video endorsing Obama. Bill Monroe was reluctant to go to an arts luncheon at Reagan's White House (or maybe it was Nixon's) because he was a Democrat. Politics is a part of music and it's been that way forever. Think Woody Guthrie. Think Phil Ochs. Think Joan Baez. That's part of who they are. Their politics and their worldview inspires their art. (Although I'm hesitant to call Nugent's music "art"....)

I recall seeing the documentary of CSNY's 2006 "Freedom of Speech" tour, and they interviewed angry people leaving one of the concerts mid-show who said they were disgusted by the politics. That's a real head-scratcher. Number one, it's CSNY. They've ALWAYS been political, and they are usually at their best when they are political. Did these people think "Ohio" was just a song about Ohio? Secondly, the tour was called "Freedom of Speech," and the angry patrons were apparently unhappy that CSNY were exercising their, well, freedom of speech. I guess the irony of that was lost on them.

If you don't want politics in your music, stick with Shakira and Justin Bieber. Maybe Kane Brown is your type of act.

i recall reading a john mellencamp interview several years ago where he was quoted as saying "it's hard to sit on my hands and smile at stupid things".

who better than the court jester to craftily rail against the king?

Yeah but jim , and I’m not looking a major argument here man , but you refuse to listen to any more Springsteen music because he voiced his political opinion at a show .

Seems way too intolerant to me that.

I’ve no idea what Bruce’s politics are and couldn’t care less what he thinks

I’m just into a few good tunes

Aside from him being a nazi or something then I’ll ignore and respect whatever any other man thinks politically.

And yeah , I too would much prefer he didn’t say anything but politics is everywhere , what can ya do

i recall reading a john mellencamp interview several years ago where he was quoted as saying "it's hard to sit on my hands and smile at stupid things".

who better than the court jester to craftily rail against the king?

That politics and music don't mix may be the most profoundly absurd premise I've ever heard. If you took the politics out of music, some of our best music never would have been written.

Whether you like it or not, you can't separate politics from life. At the very least, politics influences your life. At its worse, it controls your life. Music is a way to keep the former from becoming the latter, done either by metaphor or in-your-face political commentary.

Come out of your safe place, and face the music. You'll be a stronger and better person for it, whether you agree or disagree with what is being said.

That politics and music don't mix may be the most profoundly absurd premise I've ever heard. If you took the politics out of music, some of our best music never would have been written.

Whether you like it or not, you can't separate politics from life. At the very least, politics influences your life. At its worse, it controls your life. Music is a way to keep the former from becoming the latter, done either by metaphor or in-your-face political commentary.

Come out of your safe place, and face the music. You'll be a stronger and better person for it, whether you agree or disagree with what is being said.

Nick, I could not agree more. All types of art are reflections of humanity, and politics set the boundries for human interaction. Art and politics belong together, and only in totalitarian states are they kept apart.

Lars

Listened to the springsteen on broadway release this morning- some new renditions, nice to hear. Yes, the guitar is quacky, but a favorite billy joe shaver live album with his son eddy as an acoustic duo had very quacky guitars, after listening to them for a while it seems like not such a big deal.

I guess my question re: Springsteen, this being a Gibson forum, is why doesn't Bruce think a Gibson is roadworthy enough to play Day in and day out? Yeah, I know everyone (nearly everyone, anyway) loves Taks for their simplicity and trouble-free electronics, but I'd rather see Bruce playing an American-made acoustic. That said, I recall him playing a Gibson in videos for his "Seeger Sessions" songs....

Yeah but jim , and I’m not looking a major argument here man , but you refuse to listen to any more Springsteen music because he voiced his political opinion at a show .

Seems way too intolerant to me that.

I’ve no idea what Bruce’s politics are and couldn’t care less what he thinks

I’m just into a few good tunes

Aside from him being a nazi or something then I’ll ignore and respect whatever any other man thinks politically.

And yeah , I too would much prefer he didn’t say anything but politics is everywhere , what can ya do

When enough of us are upset with an entertainer using the stage as a political pulpit it will be reflected in their ticket and record sales, or the lack thereof. Witness the Dixie Chicks.

Another point, using the Dixie Chicks as an example....there was a group who made very good music and were entertaining. Then their political rant wiped them off the map.

And that rant is the very reason that we can say to let ticket and recording sales judge people, rather than what they say, and when they say it. If it pisses off enough people so that their sales go through the basement, so be it. Let the marketplace judge whether their political statements are a deal-breaker for a performer's career.

You use the Dixie Chicks as an example, I'll use Ted Nugent.

Who's Ted Nugent?

Archived