Gibson Brands Forums

I Still Can't Say Goodbye

drathbun

Please pardon the mistakes but I just turned on the camera and tried to get this in one take.

I first heard this song in a clip of Chet Atkins on YouTube. He didn't write this song but it has become synonymous with him. Chet rarely sang but he would perform this song often in concert. When Tommy Emmanuel became friendly with Chet, Chet asked Tommy to continue playing this song for him after he passed away.

It is a lovely tune that is truly poignant for those of us who have lost our Dads and think about them at this time of year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJF4rYOw-tk

When I was young

My dad would say

"C'mon son, let's go out and play"

Sometimes it seems like yesterday

And I'd climb up the closet shelf

When I was all by myself

Grab his hat and fix the brim

Pretending I was him

No matter, how hard I try

No matter, how many years go by

No matter, how many tears I cry

I still can't say goodbye

He always took care

Of Mom and me

We all cut down a Christmas tree

He always had some time for me

Wind blows through the trees

Street lights, they still shine bright

Most things are the same

But I miss my dad tonight

I walked by a Salvation Army store

Saw a hat like my daddy wore

Tried it on when I walked in

Still trying to be like him

No matter, how hard I try

No matter, how many years go by

No matter, how many tears I cry

I still can't say goodbye

Hey Doug, the guitar sounds good (real good), but the vocals are bit light and hard to make out. I think that's mostly trial and error on mic placement when just turning on a camera and doing your take. I'm guessing, but pretty sure it's not shyness, because I've never heard anything where I'd accuse you of being quiet :)

Thanks for posting, I'd be interested in hearing another iteration if you get a hankerin'... and the thoughts of dad are good.

I want an SJ200

Hey Doug, the guitar sounds good (real good), but the vocals are bit light and hard to make out. I think that's mostly trial and error on mic placement when just turning on a camera and doing your take. I'm guessing, but pretty sure it's not shyness, because I've never heard anything where I'd accuse you of being quiet :)

Thanks for posting, I'd be interested in hearing another iteration if you get a hankerin'... and the thoughts of dad are good.

I want an SJ200

Yeah I put it together quickly. This is one of the reasons I don't record live sessions of playing AND singing at the same time. I end up screwing up both. Plus, I keep turning my head to look at my fingers and I lose the volume on the mic.

I did this audio only version of the song a few years ago on my J200 Standard:

Yeah I put it together quickly. This is one of the reasons I don't record live sessions of playing AND singing at the same time. I end up screwing up both. Plus, I keep turning my head to look at my fingers and I lose the volume on the mic.

I did this audio only version of the song a few years ago on my J200 Standard:

I like that, I'm still routing for just you and a mic though - I encourage more of that.

I like that, I'm still routing for just you and a mic though - I encourage more of that.

LOL! Thanks for the encouragement Bill! But it is that redlight paralysis. As soon as the red light goes on, I'm damned if I can play it all the way through without a mistake. Red light OFF, no problems! I played this song flawlessly, live, at our annual Christmas party last week in front of about 20 guests. As soon as the record light goes on I'm singing crap like "No matter how many tears go by, no matter how many years I cry". :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

How much ya want for that 200? Sounds magnificent !

Forget it Dan!

I'll give up the Thalia capo but never, ever, give up the Golden Age.

This guitar just takes your breath away every time you pick it up and strum it or even just pluck a note. It is easily the finest guitar I've ever played (and I've played quite a few top end guitars in my day).

CemTtvQ.jpg?1

1AHfzk5.jpg?1

I have said this before, but I will say it again... that is a beautiful J200 Douglas. I also truly love my J200 Standard, it is indeed the finest guitar I have ever owned. They shall bury it with me. {sorry my beloved fam that play. You can fight over the rest, but that one is coming with.....}

im in love msp_love.gif

Forget it Dan!

I'll give up the Thalia capo but never, ever, give up the Golden Age.

This guitar just takes your breath away every time you pick it up and strum it or even just pluck a note. It is easily the finest guitar I've ever played (and I've played quite a few top end guitars in my day).

CemTtvQ.jpg?1

1AHfzk5.jpg?1

Just lovely I miss my dad this time of year and think of him often especially when I drive the 1950 Ford we built together.

Something off topic does the ability to imbed a Youtube video come with advanced membership something I have not yet been able to achieve.

Happy Holidays

Just lovely I miss my dad this time of year and think of him often especially when I drive the 1950 Ford we built together.

Something off topic does the ability to imbed a Youtube video come with advanced membership something I have not yet been able to achieve.

Happy Holidays

Copy the link from your URL line above the YouTube you want to post and then use the "insert media" button (the furthest right icon above the message window that looks like three windows). Then paste the URL you copied into the dialog box and hit Insert Media.

It will give you an inserted line that looks like this "media

/media" with square brackets instead of "" marks.

Then go back into the string that was pasted and take the "s" out of the word https:// so it reads http:// instead.

Then you can go ahead and post. This is the only forum I know of that has this peculiarity when posting video media.

Archived