Gibson Brands Forums

Southern Jumbo Mystery

Soapbox

I have an older Southern Jumbo. I think 1954. There is no visible serial number. Some specifics: hand written in the sound hold is J185. It has 14 frets. Completely restored in 1992 by Gibson factory south of Nasville. I got the guitar in 1964. I’m trying to attach a picture to this post. Hope it works.

Do you all think the1954 dare is close to be accurate.

Picture did not attach or embed, and is essential before any meaningful analysis.

I think you mean it has 14 frets to the neck joint to the body, which is standard. Does it have a total of 19 frets, or 20? teardrop pickguard, or larger batwing?

Gibson factory "restorations" of vintage guitars can be problematic. I speak from first-hand experience, although mine was done in Kalamazoo in 1968, and was intended to be a repair, not a "restoration."

decent 1954 sj in canada at folkway music in ont, issues but affordable fwiw other beauts as well, no affiliation

Those guys have some of the best descriptions and photos of their vintage instruments I've ever seen. They also have a few very nice vintage guitars for sale.

The 1941 D-28 'bone at $60k US is beautiful and it actually very well priced, but the 1950 D-28 at $11k US is closer to what I can afford. It's pretty nice, too.

The SJ at Folkway must be from late '54, as it has a batwing pickguard (assuming the pickguard is original). Tom B's has the tear drop. Both have 19-fret boards.

Wonder what it costs to get the thing across the border. Last time I bought it ran me an extra hundred bucks. but Braz RW wasn't involved.

I was thinking the same thing. You would hope the dealer has the required paperwork, since he is advertising in both USD and CAD. Same thing applies with those D28's, where the BRW is glaringly obvious.

Gibson factory "restorations" of vintage guitars can be problematic. I speak from first-hand experience, although mine was done in Kalamazoo in 1968, and was intended to be a repair, not a "restoration."

As you and I both know from experience, restoration at Kalamazoo involved replacement with only whatever parts they happened to be using at the time.

As you and I both know from experience, restoration at Kalamazoo involved replacement with only whatever parts they happened to be using at the time.

Yep. If you sent a guitar to Kalamazoo for repairs in 1968, it came back with 1968-style parts, no matter the age of the guitar.

I bring guitars back and forth across the border regularly. Never had an issue. This includes guitars that were sold or traded in Canada and others that I bought there and just brought home.

On entering Canada I tell the border guard that I have my guitar with me. If it's not there when I return nobody asks. If bringing a new one home I just say the same thing, I have my guitar with me.

Nobody checks for Brazilian either.

I bring guitars back and forth across the border regularly. Never had an issue. This includes guitars that were sold or traded in Canada and others that I bought there and just brought home.

On entering Canada I tell the border guard that I have my guitar with me. If it's not there when I return nobody asks. If bringing a new one home I just say the same thing, I have my guitar with me.

Nobody checks for Brazilian either.

Shipping it might be a different story, but maybe not between the US and Canada, since its country of origin is the US. Then again, who knows these days?

Yep. If you sent a guitar to Kalamazoo for repairs in 1968, it came back with 1968-style parts, no matter the age of the guitar.

Knew a man with an original AJ (beautiful instrument) that came back after a rim replacement as a one-of-a-kind: one rosewood rim and one (new) mahogany.

Archived