Gibson Brands Forums

ES175...Educate Me Please.

jbear

Hey All,

I'm looking at a 175, and while I have a lot of guitars and experience, it's with solidbodies and semis. My budget is on the lower end and I'm looking used. Any years that are preferred or to be avoided? I know each instrument needs to be evaluated on it's own merits, but as you all know...these aren't particularly abundant.

Thanks all!

Why a 175? What kind of music are you going to play with it?

I bought a new one early 2000's expecting it to be a less expensive version similar to an ES335. It wasn't. The bigger Body was ok but mainly I didn't like the Pickups. I can't remember what they even were. I returned it.

That said Gibson makes changes all the time. Mostly Pickups.. So different year models could have totally different & possibly better Pickups..

So it really does come down to playing them...

I appreciate the response. I'll be playing mostly modern stuff (Kreisberg, Metheny, Moreno) and occasionally old school (older school than those guys anyway). I've got a couple 335's and an Ibby AS1000, so not looking for another semi.

The last few years Gibson Memphis models have been outstanding by most reviews, with ES-175s in the running. A little over a year ago, CME blew out a bunch of them (mostly 2016s) on huge Gibson Memphis warehouse buyout. The buys were incredible. You may find some still on the used market right now with decent residual prices.

If it doesn't have to be the Gibson name, the EPI ES-175 Premium is worthy of consideration. With genuine Gibson '57 Classic pups, it really gives its Gibson cousin a run for the money, even by those that have both. For a whole lot less $$, of course.

I have a 2013 ES-175 with P94 pickups. Lovely guitar, great to play - friendly.

It's generally accepted that the standard went up in '86 or thereabouts when HJ took over the company...but you probably knew that anyway.

These ebay prices - a bit high perhaps? But notice how some of the old ones are the same price or less than the newer ones!!

https://www.ebay.com/bhp/gibson-es-175

ES175's have a big following amongst the 'cognoscenti'...…dry.gif

Players like Herb Ellis and Jim Hall helped things along....

Personal journey included a 90's ES165 which had a lot of promise but in the end did not gel for moi….

Had much more 'versatile' enjoyment with an ES137.....IMO a work of genius on Gibson's part....[thumbup]

V

:-({|=

I've owned a 1955 ES-295, a 1978 ES-175, a 1977 ES-175T and a 1996 ES-165 Herb Ellis. I'm definitely no authority but I've gotten my feet wet.

They were all good guitars but they just didn't capture me and make me lose track of time. There are other guitars that do. Ergo their absence.

Having said that, I'd jump at the chance to own another, just to see if we connected.

My 175 is a 95, they may not be everyone's cup of tea but they can do most anything you want them to.

Steve Howe proved that. The first time I saw Yes live I was blown away and a 175 stayed on my mind for a long time and about 6 years ago I got mine and I'm happy I did.

I would LOVE to play a mahogany model... Every once in a while one turns up and I am so tempted byt that little voice..."you don't need ANOTHER 175" goes off in my head :-)

Archived