Gibson Brands Forums

Changing Out White Button Gotoh Tuners for Grovers

mking

Have any of you changed the white button tuners for the Grover tuners like those that come on a J-45 Standard? My question is, to install the Grovers, do you have to drill/enlarge the holes on the headstock? Thanks.

You are aware that historically white button tuners were standard on J-45s for years and years, yes? And, that they are iconic on vintage J-45s? It’s only more recently that Gibson changed the tuners on the standard J-45 for ??? reason.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

You are aware that historically white button tuners were standard on J-45s for years and years, yes? And, that they are iconic on vintage J-45s? It’s only more recently that Gibson changed the tuners on the standard J-45 for ??? reason.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I love the white button tuners. I have a line on a 2001 J-45 and the fellow changed out the white tuners for Grovers. I want to put it back original, I am concerned the holes in the headstock may have been drilled out bigger to fit the Grovers (the seller says he did not). I just don't know if that is a modification that one has to do in order to install the Grover roto-matics and I would like to know if anyone has done this change out.

I love the white button tuners. I have a line on a 2001 J-45 and the fellow changed out the white tuners for Grovers. I want to put it back original, I am concerned the holes in the headstock may have been drilled out bigger to fit the Grovers (the seller says he did not). I just don't know if that is a modification that one has to do in order to install the Grover roto-matics and I would like to know if anyone has done this change out.

Very cool what you’re planning to do!

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

32 years ago when I replaced the non-functioning Klusons on my ‘60 LG-2 with Grover Rotomatics, I had to ream out the holes with a tapered reamer. I would not do that today. Apart from the aesthetics, the heavier Grovers made that guitar neck heavy. The Kluson style tuners of recent years seem to me to work about as well as the Grovers I remember using. Simply put, while you could make that swap I wouldn’t recommend it.

if you love the current tuners maybe just keep the grovers in the case for the future...j

I created a thread just for this going from Rotomatics to white button tuners: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/144148-j45-standard-tuner-conversion-done-super-easy/

For me, Rotomatics just dont look right on a J45. The J45 is a very traditional, understated yet classy guitar. The Rotomatics are too big, heavy and gaudy, and just don't work for me cosmetically. I swapped them out on my 2017 J45 Standard, and think it's a huge improvement, and the guitar also feels noticeably lighter.

SkRz3Sa.jpg

p7qOepo.jpg?1

Consequently, I don't have a problem with Rotomatics on my D35 visually, and actually think they look decent on that guitar.

u2s20vo.jpg?1

Archived