Gibson Brands Forums

Long scale J-45 anybody ?

EuroAussie

Found this link on the AGF, never knew they made a long scale J-45. But given all the variatins of this guitar I gues a long scale version was on the cards

Personally, the lnog scale dont work for me. More projective, clearer, but also harsher, much like an Advanced Jumbo to my ears. Missing the warmth, compressed tone of the classic short scale J-45.

What do you think ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuSGUI1gyiE

The long-scale guitar is both louder and more brash, with a sharp edge on every string, as opposed to the blended, more mellow sound of the short-scale standard guitar.

They sound pretty shockingly different from each other. The long-scale guitar sounds more like a D-18 than a J-45 to my ear.

So yesterday, I was rambling on about the endearing nature of the quick decay in the tone of the J-45. Today, EuroAussie tells of a long scale version of the J-45, which sounds like it might have the ability to remove or reduce that endearing quality for me. Actually, jumping into the Wayback Machine shows OldWilyFool's insanely long list of J-45 variants, and coming in at #19: the J-45 Long-scale (Sept, 2013).

There was another long scale Gibson slope jumbo that got rave reviews- the Original Jumbo re-issue. Not sure if it was it's long scale, or the bracing (3 tone bars?), or in what measure of the two that got all of the attention. If it tempts a long scale dread Martin player to give in to the lure of the Gibson burst, then I hope Bozeman sells a bunch of this J-45 variant. No, the long scale is not for me, though I did have a dream the other night about a mahogany Advanced Jumbo. . .

There was another long scale Gibson slope jumbo that got rave reviews- the Original Jumbo re-issue. Not sure if it was it's long scale, or the bracing (3 tone bars?), or in what measure of the two that got all of the attention. If it tempts a long scale dread Martin player to give in to the lure of the Gibson burst, then I hope Bozeman sells a bunch of this J-45 variant. No, the long scale is not for me, though I did have a dream the other night about a mahogany Advanced Jumbo. . .

I believe the OJ has a full-depth body at each end, like the Smecks. Someone here bought a 'hog AJ a few years ago. At the time, we commented that it was essentially a long-scale J-45.

The world goes 'round and 'round...

I think that it all boils-down to what each person likes and needs from a guitar. Pretty much everything about all of this is subjective: strings, wood, pins, tuners, bracing, shape, size, etc. We all like different things. I've got a fairly rare beast. A short scale AJ, that is Koa. Don't know what the bracing is or what the tuners are or why they made a short scale AJ of Koa. I just know that I really like the guitar and that's about all that matters. I don't think it's an AJ, but that's what Gibson calls it, so what-the-hell? It's a real sweet instrument. I just wish Gibson had used some different names for these continuous variations of J45s, Hummingbirds, AJs, and others. This must be about the 4012th variation of the J45.......But, if the guitar is part of you, enjoy it and call it whatever you want. [thumbup]

I think that it all boils-down to what each person likes and needs from a guitar. Pretty much everything about all of this is subjective: strings, wood, pins, tuners, bracing, shape, size, etc. We all like different things. I've got a fairly rare beast. A short scale AJ, that is Koa. Don't know what the bracing is or what the tuners are or why they made a short scale AJ of Koa. I just know that I really like the guitar and that's about all that matters. I don't think it's an AJ, but that's what Gibson calls it, so what-the-hell? It's a real sweet instrument. I just wish Gibson had used some different names for these continuous variations of J45s, Hummingbirds, AJs, and others. This must be about the 4012th variation of the J45.......But, if the guitar is part of you, enjoy it and call it whatever you want. [thumbup]

I remember after I got my 2003 J-45 Rosewood, somebody here called it a short scale AJ because of the Rosewood top/sides and ebony bridge/board.

I do love that thing....

Archived