Gibson Brands Forums

A 'plate' on SG's pickguard?

Gathaspar_P

Hello,

Firstlly, I'd like to mention I'm a beginner and I haven't had a guitar yet.

I'm thinking of buying an SG but I noticed new models have a strange gold 'plate'(I dunno how to name it) on a pickguard with something written on it. I think it looks awful and that's why I wanna ask you what it actually is and if it can be removed without making any traces of it. I'll attach the photo of a guitar with the 'plate' I'm writing about.

I can't wait to see your answers.

post-97128-012486400 1545265009_thumb.jpg

Hello,

Firstlly, I'd like to mention I'm a beginner and I haven't had a guitar yet.

I'm thinking of buying an SG but I noticed new models have a strange gold 'plate'(I dunno how to name it) on a pickguard with something written on it. I think it looks awful and that's why I wanna ask you what it actually is and if it can be removed without making any traces of it. I'll attach the photo of a guitar with the 'plate' I'm writing about.

I can't wait to see your answers.

Yes it can be very easily and safely removed; the entire scratch plate on these (and many other) new guitars is covered by a very thin layer of protective plastic, which is there for some basic protection against people who might pick it up in the shop and mark the scratchplate somehow. The gold sticker is on top of this layer of plastic and just tells you how to remove the whole layer, by peeling it off starting at the edges.

Happy Xmas!

Archived