Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Model Ser.# 8 5958 stamped

detekk

Trying to verify what year and model and any other details I might be able to get about this guitar. My research so far has me pretty sure it's a 2008. From there I'm wondering if this is a "R8", 50th anniversary, or 1958 reissue or if none of that is correct and it's simply a 2008. Or maybe I'm wrong about that too. Thanks for the help!!

EDIT: I had a link to pics in this originally.. here is the link again https://imgur.com/a/b5j7l1q

In 2008 Gibson was selling R8 Les Pauls. I bought one new at that time. There was no marketing about a 50th Anniversary guitar as far as I know. It seems to be just a timing coincidence about any Anniversary,a 50 year span from the year 1958. The murphy-aged finish editions might of been labeled anniversary guitars, from a picture on eBay.

My R8 Les Paul came with a COA, a black wallet like "Certificate of Authenticity". Do you have this? The serial number on my guitar is a 6 digit number, with no spaces. Your serial number is only 5 digits has a space after the initial 8. Who knows what Gibson does with serial numbers? Looking at some R8's pictures on eBay show a 5 digit serial number like yours, so my guitar seems to be an oddball.

My R8 guitar was a VOS issue, this gave the guitar a slight worn look. It did not have any rusted parts. Your guitar has some rusted parts,what happened?

Remove the rear panel control panel, I believe the R8 LP came with large look alike bumble-bee caps which are big black caps. The necks are also beefy,big. I really don't know what your guitar is.

Archived