Gibson Brands Forums

My new Les Paul

bigtim

Now I do not know exactly what kind of traditional les paul this is but it is a 2013 model year and maybe the finish is called honey burst? I do not know for sure other than it is a traditional. I have tried to search the internet for the older gibson specs for the 2013 traditional guitars but none are showing up from gibsons website like this one. However I do see the other les paul traditionals from that year and the pick ups are different.

This thing weighs over 9 lbs I do know that. It is not a lead brick per say but not very light either. It has the push pots that have the active boost and the split coils option. I do not care really about splitting the coils but I do like the boost.

The body has some good flame on it going on.

A guy locally had it for sale that I have made a purchase from before. He contacted me today and asked me if I would be interested. He made me an offer as he needed to sell it and we worked out a deal. It is not 100% perfect but it is a good 8.5 to 9 in condition.

I put on a set of 9 gauge strings and adjusted the truss rod. It plays like a dream and the action is pretty darn low.

I am in love!!

If any of you could tell me the correct model of this traditional I would appreciate it.

YmYIw2l.jpg

5eiris8.jpg

z5KmiCv.jpg

IYNE2x4.jpg

jxrAYba.jpg

2013 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II

The Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II electric guitar marries old and new by pulling from '80s and '90s designs as well as '50s and '60s production methods. Two PAF humbuckers that borrow from the late '50s, along with period-correct pickguard and neck profile, give the Traditional Pro II a vintage flavor, and a Plek setup makes the guitar extra customizable: mahogany body, mahogany neck, bound rosewood fretboard, trapezoid inlays, 22 frets, 2 humbucking pickups (Super '57 / '57 Classic), 3 of 4 pots push to cut coils and activate the (active) boost circuit, stop tailpiece, Nashville tune-o-matic bridge, headstock overlay features logo inlay and model decal, locking Grover Rotomatic tuners, 1-11/16" nut, 24-3/4" scale.

Sound like your guitar??

Yes it does actually. Thank you!! So it is a traditional Pro 2. I knew the neck was not the slim 60's style like that of the custom I once had but it does not seem to be as fat as some standards I have played in the past either. It has a great feel to it though. I appreciate you posting this for me 01GT as I know what I actually have now. I also thought the frets felt real good. No sharp edges and fret buzz is very minimal especially how low I have the action set. So I guess that has something to do with the plek job. I do not think I have owned a guitar that has had that done to it before. I like how it feels too. I am keeping this one for sure.

2013 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II

The Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II electric guitar marries old and new by pulling from '80s and '90s designs as well as '50s and '60s production methods. Two PAF humbuckers that borrow from the late '50s, along with period-correct pickguard and neck profile, give the Traditional Pro II a vintage flavor, and a Plek setup makes the guitar extra customizable: mahogany body, mahogany neck, bound rosewood fretboard, trapezoid inlays, 22 frets, 2 humbucking pickups (Super '57 / '57 Classic), 3 of 4 pots push to cut coils and activate the (active) boost circuit, stop tailpiece, Nashville tune-o-matic bridge, headstock overlay features logo inlay and model decal, locking Grover Rotomatic tuners, 1-11/16" nut, 24-3/4" scale.

Sound like your guitar??

The guy I purchased it from said it weighs just over 9 lbs. He placed it on a scale when he got it home.

This is what happened. Something happened to his wife's vehicle and he had a pretty substantial bill. He had one of the "R" series historic custom shop les pauls and was trying to sell it but had no takers. So he took his custom shop les paul to Blues Guitars in Donelson TN. He said they had about 25 different model les pauls in stock. They allowed him to take his time and pick out one. He prefers to take and try them out unplugged to see how the guitars wood sounded unplugged. Out of the customs and standards he said they had, he thought this one played and sounded the best and the weight of it was more like a les paul should be compared to some of the chambered models he had played too. So they allowed him to trade in his custom shop les paul for this les paul traditional and gave him some cash. He needed the rest of the money to make up for the car repairs. So I purchased this one from him and you know, this thing is a real good playing and sounding les paul.

I paid $1200.00 for it and the case. I know it is not really the deal of the century but I believe it was not a bad deal either IMO. Either way I am so happy with it.

I was curious at the wiring inside of it today. So I took the control cavity off of it and took a picture for you all to see as well. I thought for sure that I was going to find some kind of circuit board off in there but to my pleasant surprise this thing was all hardwired in the old fashion way. I was very glad to see that too.

QYbZZ2v.jpg

4YhNVot.jpg

Do you have a weight estimate on her?

I usually believe that ALL Gibson's should have covered pickups, but this is a rare exception to that rule, the zebras do look nice on it.

There was a similar model on the local CL but I don't think it had the boost circuit.

I paid $1200.00 for it and the case. I know it is not really the deal of the century but I believe it was not a bad deal either IMO. Either way I am so happy with it.

That is a very good price. In excellent condition, it is very unlikely to see it any cheaper than that. The Traditional Pro came out in 2009 (made for 2009-2011; after that they started changing it and creating Trad Pro 2, Trad Pro 3, and Trad Pro 4). Mine is an original model 2010 Trad Pro and is (if I may say) super beautiful Heritage Cherry Sunburst plain top that plays like a dream. I believe all of the Trad Pro guitars are "weight relieved" but not "chambered". I have never posted pics of it here ... I should do that, huh?

My 2010 Trad Pro: Very similar to your guitar -- It has BurstBucker 3 and '57 Classic zebra-coli pickups with push/pull coil splits, '60s neck profile, Grover locking tuners, antique binding, period-correct pick guard, vintage Gibson top hat knobs, and the revolutionary Plek set up. Same case too, but no boost circuit and no flame top (like your Trad Pro II has).

Yes you should post a picture of it. I like looking at everyone else's guitars. I am not one that thinks people are hijacking my thread. So please post the pic.

Thanks for sharing the info too. I never knew anything about this model so all of your input is greatly appreciated.

To me it really seems like a standard with different options. I guess that is really what it is in a way. Kind of like my 2017 Firebird T if you will. It is a forebird with a couple of different things going on. Like the Steinberg tuners and raised pick up shims. Other than that....it is a Firebird v to me.

My only complaint on my new les paul is this....I wish the pick guard was a little thicker or maybe even 3 play so it would be stiffer. That is my only beef. Everything else is perfect!

That is a very good price. In excellent condition, it is very unlikely to see it any cheaper than that. The Traditional Pro came out in 2009 (made for 2009-2011; after that they started changing it and creating Trad Pro 2, Trad Pro 3, and Trad Pro 4). Mine is an original model 2010 Trad Pro and is (if I may say) super beautiful Heritage Cherry Sunburst plain top that plays like a dream. I believe all of the Trad Pro guitars are "weight relieved" but not "chambered". I have never posted pics of it here ... I should do that, huh?

My 2010 Trad Pro: Very similar to your guitar -- It has BurstBucker 3 and '57 Classic zebra-coli pickups with push/pull coil splits, '60s neck profile, Grover locking tuners, antique binding, period-correct pick guard, vintage Gibson top hat knobs, and the revolutionary Plek set up. Same case too, but no boost circuit and no flame top (like your Trad Pro II has).

... To me it really seems like a standard with different options ...

It is funny that you say that. The official model name for Trad Pro model was called a "Les Paul Standard Traditional Pro". All of my paperwork said that when I bought mine back in 2010. I compared it to the Standards they had in the store, and I actually preferred the Trad Pro -- and I paid only $1800 new, while the price tag of a new Standard was $2300 (although, I bet they would have dropped the Standard price if I asked). After 2011, it appears that they they dropped the word "Standard" from the name.

I gutted mine...

Yeah, if you are going to gut one, it makes a lot of sense (to me) to do it to a Trad Pro as compared to a CS or even a true Standard (as some people have done). Mine is bone stock, as I am pretty sure that any mods I would make would not improve it (for me). It is my one LP, and I (honestly) feel blessed to have it.

I have saw some descriptions of that exact name of standard traditional. Other than the pick ups not having covers on them to me it looks and feels like one. I have never owned a guitar with the open coil zebra style pick ups. I remember back when I was younger it seemed there were a lot of les pauls without pick up covers and I thought maybe Gibson offered them that way back in the 1970's. Or possibly guys just removed the covers trying to get a hotter sound. Alvin Lee did that on his 335 and everyone started doing it after his 69 Woodstock performance.

I am always looking on craigslist. Someone posted this epiphone elitist custom the day before I purchased the traditional I bought. I almost called this guy to make the purchase. I am glad I held out because he contacted me the very next day with his offer to me.

My 81 custom was white and this epiphone reminded me of it.

Here is the link to the elitist for sale locally. It looks like a nice guitar and I like the shape of the headstock too. It is different from a regular epiphone style.

I like some of the epiphone les pauls. I had one from Korea from the like 1999 or something. It was their version of a black standard with the cream pick guard. It was a nice little guitar for the money.

https://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/d/franklin-2005-epiphone-elitist-custom/6778261935.html

It is funny that you say that. The official model name for Trad Pro model was called a "Les Paul Standard Traditional Pro". All of my paperwork said that when I bought mine back in 2010. I compared it to the Standards they had in the store, and I actually preferred the Trad Pro -- and I paid only $1800 new, while the price tag of a new Standard was $2300 (although, I bet they would have dropped the Standard price if I asked). After 2011, it appears that they they dropped the word "Standard" from the name.

Archived