Gibson Brands Forums

My Flying V2 story

Bill S

Hi all

As you can tell, I am new here. My initial reason for joining is to endeavour to find out more about my particular idiosyncrasy – a love of Flying V2s. Allow me to tellyou my V2 story...

So, back in 1979 when I was still a teenager I somehow managed to scramble together enough money to buy a brand new Gibson Les Paul Deluxe natural top. Unfortunately, acouple of years later our house was burgled and it was stolen. However, it was insured, and when the claim came through, I went back to the guitar shop in Fleet, Hampshire – about 30 miles south west of London.

I fully intended to buy another Les Paul, but instead was blown away by the Bahama Blue Gibson Flying V2. The neck felt great, my fingers seemed to whiz around the fretboard (as much as they have ever whizzed anywhere) and it was a whole lot lighter than the LP. I bought it – I hadn't even appreciated the significance of it being a V2 as opposed to a "normal" V at the time – it just happened to be the one that was available in the shop that day. Think the cost was £700.

Anyway, acouple of years later – maybe 1984 - I fell on hard times and I was forced to sell it – heartbreaking but necessary.

I recovered financially and have had some nice guitars over the years, but when my wife and I (more or less) retired to Spain a couple of years ago, a friend of mine who was aware I had "lost" that beloved old V2 all those years ago, sent me a link to a 1980 natural top model that was on sale in a music shop in England. I knew that they had only been made for two or three years in the V2 format and were quite rare – I pulled the trigger and bought it.

gsI6eqO.jpg[/img]

When it arrived and I started to play, I instantly remembered the feel from more than 30 years before, and I swear I started to play things I wouldn't have come u pwith on any other instrument! I was in love!

Bringingthis right up to date, I have just taken ownership of a second 1980 model –this time in a red sparkle finish. It is in almost mint condition – I certainly wasn't that well preserved when I was 38! In its original case – just beautiful.

mJIp1af.jpg[/img] 2Qhs0tQ.jpg[/img]

So V2s are now becoming a bit of an obsession! Starts with an emotional attachment to tough times decades ago, and now being in the fortunate position of being able to indulge a little.

I am hungry for more information about these guitars – I have read the Wikipedia entry of course, seen a few You Tube reviews etc, but would love to know more. I hope this community might be able to help!

I know they're quirky, and certainly not to everyone's taste – the output jack is in a stupid place, the output itself is deemed too low by some and of course they are impossible to play on your knee...but I think the V2s are extraordinary beautiful guitars! And they play beautifully.

Would love to hear from any other enthusiasts, or anyone who has knowledge to share!

Cheers

Very nice indeed.

I like the red one but you still need another blue one [wink]

The shop in Fleet was Kingfisher Music, now closed, which I knew well in the late 70s - bought quite a bit of stuff there right up until the late 80s.

Best wishes, Happy New Year.

Thanks for helping with the pictures - can I not post because I have just joined, or is it pure incompetence on my part?

You are right - I do need one in Bahama Blue (no sparkle!)

And yes, Kingfisher Music it was indeed.

Happy New Year to all.

Wow those really are in very good condition for the age and it looks like you even have the original manual too!!! What a great score!! I am happy for you. It is always great when you find "That Guitar" that plays so well it inspires you to play better. I have only had that happen a couple of times. I have never saw one of those in person. I think the E2 Explorer may have been a little more popular as I have saw more of those in person......Or maybe I just do not get out much!

So on that V2 flying V, what kind of pick up is that exactly? Is it a some kind of big single coil of some sort with a strange shape?

How does it sound compared to other gibson guitars?

Wow those really are in very good condition for the age and it looks like you even have the original manual too!!! What a great score!! I am happy for you. It is always great when you find "That Guitar" that plays so well it inspires you to play better. I have only had that happen a couple of times. I have never saw one of those in person. I think the E2 Explorer may have been a little more popular as I have saw more of those in person......Or maybe I just do not get out much!

So on that V2 flying V, what kind of pick up is that exactly? Is it a some kind of big single coil of some sort with a strange shape?

How does it sound compared to other gibson guitars?

Thank Tim. That original owner's manual states the pickups are "Boomerang" Humbucking Pickups". According to Wikipedia, these were designed "to sound like single coil with lower noise." In 1982, the last year that Gibson made the V2, the pickups were changed to Dirty Fingers and were of conventional shape - losing that distinctive "boomerang" shape.

Both my guitars are 1980 models, and their output is way lower than my 2003 SG, for example. A lot of folk do not like this low output, but in the studio, it is possible to get some great tones - clean and overdriven. I use Scuffham S-Gear amp sim software and sometimes add in my J Rockett Archer hardware pedal. I have read that some people think that the tone of the V2 is very similar to a Fender Telecaster, but I don't own one of those to compare it to.

Archived