Gibson Brands Forums

CME exclusive SG colors

FemmeParallell

IDK why or how GIBSON USA determines who to send the 'LIMITED' or 'EXCLUSIVE' Run Guitars to BUT I keep an eye on a few different retailers every year just to see what they get, and MAYBE pickup that always elusive CUSTOM @ STANDARD price Guitar. CME & AMS are two of the bigger ones and this year, 2019, AMS dot com sold me a 2019 'SG' STANDARD w/MAESTRO VIBROLA in 'AGED CHERRY' and it is "EXCLUSIVE" to AMS dot com and the Guitar is KILLER, one thing about it though, and I have never seen this, the TUNE-O-MATIC Bridge Posts do not have an ALLEN KEY insert in the top of them. The only way to adjust the height of the bridge is via the Thumb-wheels, which is EZ enough even under full string tension. From the looks of the Guitars on the CME link above, they have the NON Allen Key insert design as well...so I guess it is not exactly a rarity?

Of course I am unable to post a picture of this magnificent Beast......... so a link will have to do.....

IMG_1258

IDK why or how GIBSON USA determines who to send the 'LIMITED' or 'EXCLUSIVE' Run Guitars to BUT I keep an eye on a few different retailers every year just to see what they get, and MAYBE pickup that always elusive CUSTOM @ STANDARD price Guitar. CME & AMS are two of the bigger ones and this year, 2019, AMS dot com sold me a 2019 'SG' STANDARD w/MAESTRO VIBROLA in 'AGED CHERRY' and it is "EXCLUSIVE" to AMS dot com and the Guitar is KILLER, one thing about it though, and I have never seen this, the TUNE-O-MATIC Bridge Posts do not have an ALLEN KEY insert in the top of them. The only way to adjust the height of the bridge is via the Thumb-wheels, which is EZ enough even under full string tension. From the looks of the Guitars on the CME link above, they have the NON Allen Key insert design as well...so I guess it is not exactly a rarity?

Of course I am unable to post a picture of this magnificent Beast......... so a link will have to do.....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/42327422@N07/32401016308/

Yours has the Nashville bridge which has thicker posts allowing for the allen key hole. The CME models have the inferior ABR-1 bridge with thinner posts . ABR-1's are all the rage with purists though [rolleyes]

1545930560[/url]' post='1969419']

Got this in my email today:

https://www.chicagom..._eid=232868513a

SG standards with exclusive colors for CME, im liking a few of them hehe

Edit: and T-type pickups

I have to say, I love all those colours. There’s part of me that likes the unconventional. That said, back in 1978 I was ogling the classic cherry SG, and it was love at first sight. Took me another 25 years to get one!

Yours has the Nashville bridge which has thicker posts allowing for the allen key hole. The CME models have the inferior ABR-1 bridge with thinner posts . ABR-1's are all the rage with purists though [rolleyes]

I have a Les Paul R8 with ABR bridge and it makes no sense to me. The Nashville bridge is easily adjustable, the ABR you need to somehow get your screwdriver in from the pickup end. Really not very ergonomic IMHO

I do love my Gibsons tho, I started life as a Fender man who has seen the error of his ways. Still have my original '79 Strat tho.......

NO, I am thinkin you misunderstood me.....the TUNE-O-MATIC Bridge on my 2019 SG Standard W/Maestro Vibrola in 'AGED CHERRY' from AMS dot com DOES NOT have the ALLEN KEYHEAD insert (it is why I mentioned it), which is something I have never seen on a TUNE-O-MATIC bridge. I looked at the SG's in the link in the OP and thought they were T-O-M's too, they seem to not have it as well but you say they are ABR's? HHHMMMM....... I only have one Guitar with an ABR-1, an ES-335 Traditional, and you are correct, it does NOT have the Allen Key Head insert as you mentioned.

I prefer the ABR-1's, just for the fact that the strings NEVER hit the back of the bridge-plate and lowering/raising the Stop-tail as desired is never an issue. I C no difference in them otherwise, both ABR-1 & T-O-M do what is necessary & DO IT WELL TOO !

IDK why I get these e-mails days later but I justy got mine....these 'SG's are no big deal, but they are priced the same as this year's CHEAP-O "STANDARD" AND they may have better P-UP's..... ..... I'd like to HEAR the T-TOP Pickup's or, even better, dispense with the CHROME P-UP covers and have the 'T' on the actual Pick-Up in a slightly different way so as to ID the new T-TOP's from the old ones.

1546112391[/url]' post='1969737']

IDK why I get these e-mails days later but I justy got mine....these 'SG's are no big deal, but they are priced the same as this year's CHEAP-O "STANDARD" AND they may have better P-UP's..... ..... I'd like to HEAR the T-TOP Pickup's or, even better, dispense with the CHROME P-UP covers and have the 'T' on the actual Pick-Up in a slightly different way so as to ID the new T-TOP's from the old ones.

T-Tops, and also being hand wired is nice. If only they would have came with the hard case, I would have already put my order in for one.

Better yet, get rid of the hard cases on the JRs and Specials and put them back with ALL the SG Standards! Never understood why Gibson took away the hard case from their main SG and give it to the lower line up. 2016 was the only and last year I will ever intentionally by a brand-new Standard with a soft case or gig bag!

T-Tops, and also being hand wired is nice. If only they would have came with the hard case, I would have already put my order in for one.

Better yet, get rid of the hard cases on the JRs and Specials and put them back with ALL the SG Standards! Never understood why Gibson took away the hard case from their main SG and give it to the lower line up. 2016 was the only and last year I will ever intentionally by a brand-new Standard with a soft case or gig bag!

I missed that these are coming without a Hard-Shell Case.....that is an OUTRAGE. I remember In 2016 that the 'SG' Standards were $1199, AND now ? Player's are payin' over $1600 for the same exact 'SG' Standard 3 years later and are STILL NOT getting a Hard-Shell Case(all 2019 'SG' Standards priced @ $1499 + Tax come with an effin 'Gig-Bag') ? I'm with you, I think it is now the customer's fault because @ that price there is NO WAY a customer should buy the Guitar. NO WAY I'm paying that kinda coinage for a 'STANDARD' and then havin to go buy a Hard-Shell Case straight away.....buyin' a used 2017 'SG' Standard for $900 is a better move as a used '17 'SG' Standard should come with the Original HSCase, and they are KILLER/Better guitars('57's, Locking Grover's.... etc...) !

I watched the demo last night on the tube by CME. I think the guy doing it is a fairly decent player. I did not know that the guitar did not come with a case. I think that is a bummer but I have noticed other good guitar companies are starting to do the same. Dang even some 500.00 dollar new guitars come with a hardcase. I understand trying to cut corners but with no case on a guitar that may be one of the most expensive or nicest guitar some people would ever be able to afford to purchase, no case is a deal breaker. But I do like how these new SG CME gibsons look.

I watched the demo last night on the tube by CME. I think the guy doing it is a fairly decent player. I did not know that the guitar did not come with a case. I think that is a bummer but I have noticed other good guitar companies are starting to do the same. Dang even some 500.00 dollar new guitars come with a hardcase. I understand trying to cut corners but with no case on a guitar that may be one of the most expensive or nicest guitar some people would ever be able to afford to purchase, no case is a deal breaker. But I do like how these new SG CME gibsons look.

No Hard-Shell Case with a STANDARD is a deal-breaker for me, Retailer can keep it !!

BTW B.T., when you asked about the case messin' up the strings a while back, I mentioned that my BRAND NEW 2018 ES-335 string height changes when I put it in the case for a month, you may remember?

WELL, I put the BAD-GIRL (Her name is Loredda) in its case on November 14TH and I took all the measurements right before I closed the case. Low 'E' @ 12TH Fret was 5.1/64TH's, High 'E' @ 12TH Fret was 3.3/64TH's and the Neck relief was .005"-.006"-.007" @ 7th-8th-9th Frets respectively, yes? The Stop-Tail was/is FLUSH with the Body of the Guitar. So SWEET LOREDDA's turn for a beating came 'round today and I took her out of her GIBSON 'MEMPHIS' Original Hard Shell Case and checked the measurements 1st thing !!! The NECK RELIEF had not changed, the NECK is now STABLE and Solid as a Rock !! Which is GREAT !!! BUT, the string height @ the 12TH Fret had DONE IT AGAIN !!!! the LOW 'E' was 4/64TH's @ 12TH Fret and the High 'E' was a C.H. under 3/64TH's @ 12TH Fret.

ICNFBI, NO ! The Guitar was just sitting in its Hard-Shell Case in a climate controlled room that has between 40-50% R.H. constantly and never goes under 68 Degrees or over 76 Degrees so the environment did not do it. There is also a D'Addario HUMIDI-PAK inside the case, just to be sure no excess moisture/dryness affects SWEET LOREDDA.

I am at a complete loss for an explanation as to why this Guitar does this. After Loredda's beating time is up and its time for a string change in a week or so, I am thinking of keeping her in a STAND until her turn for a beating comes up again in a month or so and see if sitting in the stand for a month produces the same result. I mean, its not as if the neck is becoming back-bowed or anything negative, BUT I have never had a Guitar that does this !!!

What do you think ?

Man it has got to be something simple. I know that things do not just move on their own without it having some kind of cause. Those are some specific set up measurements too.

Edited to start new thread for reply Wild Bill

No Hard-Shell Case with a STANDARD is a deal-breaker for me, Retailer can keep it !!

BTW B.T., when you asked about the case messin' up the strings a while back, I mentioned that my BRAND NEW 2018 ES-335 string height changes when I put it in the case for a month, you may remember?

WELL, I put the BAD-GIRL (Her name is Loredda) in its case on November 14TH and I took all the measurements right before I closed the case. Low 'E' @ 12TH Fret was 5.1/64TH's, High 'E' @ 12TH Fret was 3.3/64TH's and the Neck relief was .005"-.006"-.007" @ 7th-8th-9th Frets respectively, yes? The Stop-Tail was/is FLUSH with the Body of the Guitar. So SWEET LOREDDA's turn for a beating came 'round today and I took her out of her GIBSON 'MEMPHIS' Original Hard Shell Case and checked the measurements 1st thing !!! The NECK RELIEF had not changed, the NECK is now STABLE and Solid as a Rock !! Which is GREAT !!! BUT, the string height @ the 12TH Fret had DONE IT AGAIN !!!! the LOW 'E' was 4/64TH's @ 12TH Fret and the High 'E' was a C.H. under 3/64TH's @ 12TH Fret.

ICNFBI, NO ! The Guitar was just sitting in its Hard-Shell Case in a climate controlled room that has between 40-50% R.H. constantly and never goes under 68 Degrees or over 76 Degrees so the environment did not do it. There is also a D'Addario HUMIDI-PAK inside the case, just to be sure no excess moisture/dryness affects SWEET LOREDDA.

I am at a complete loss for an explanation as to why this Guitar does this. After Loredda's beating time is up and its time for a string change in a week or so, I am thinking of keeping her in a STAND until her turn for a beating comes up again in a month or so and see if sitting in the stand for a month produces the same result. I mean, its not as if the neck is becoming back-bowed or anything negative, BUT I have never had a Guitar that does this !!!

What do you think ?

really? you are the 3rd person that says that (to me) about the pickguards hehe, i did like them, but yeah maybe black would look better on some colors

I like shell pink on guitars, but I'm not sure I like it on and SG. I do like the frost blue.

The tort pickguard looks hideous on all the colors.

3-A7142-C8-8746-4334-AE03-BB080-C61-C332.jpg

19-A00-BB5-E892-4-E93-A9-D9-C89-BC70-E3-EB3.jpg

I predict sales may be good, but a bunch will be returned due to the @$#%^&& low profile frets.

LOL, I was thinkin' the same thing...OMG ! GIBSON USA goes & increase's the Fret-Life via the CRYOGENICALLY treated Frets AND WHAT DO THEY NEXT ? They lower the Fret Profile, WTF ? GIBSON USA is no longer being run by Henry JOOZKEWICZ but THAT is a typical Henry J move, no doubt ! Could screw up anything !

Archived