Gibson Brands Forums

2013 Serial Number

gibbee

Hi, I'm looking to buy a used Gibson and saw a 2013 LP, with a serial number like 130010000.

But wouldn't that be a 2011, since Gibson changed from YXXXY... to YYXXX... serial numbers after 2014?

Just being overly cautious since it's a used guitar and my first Gibson. Thanks!

Hi, I'm looking to buy a used Gibson and saw a 2013 LP, with a serial number like 130010000.

But wouldn't that be a 2011, since Gibson changed from YXXXY... to YYXXX... serial numbers after 2014?

Just being overly cautious since it's a used guitar and my first Gibson. Thanks!

You are correct, that would be a 2011, but I don't like all those zeros on the end, so I hope that is just an example.

Don't just go by the serial, because they put real numbers in counterfeits. Really look it over and know what you are looking at and the signs of a fake.

There are too many numbers in that serial number. There should be eight. The last three digits can never all be zero. The three digits after the first digit can never all be 0. The second digit can only be 0,1,2, or 3. If it's a 2013, the first digit will be 1, the fifth digit will be 3.

If you went by the numbering system started in 2014 it would be the 10,000th guitar produce by Gibson USA in 2013. (130010000)

Gibson USA 2014 to present – These serial numbers cannot be dated to a specific day of the year.<br style="font-family: "Lucida Grande", Lucida, Verdana, sans-serif;">The new model year typically launches in the fall as the current model year winds down. It is not uncommon for a new model year model to be produced during the previous model year (example – a 2015 model may have been built in late 2014).<br style="font-family: "Lucida Grande", Lucida, Verdana, sans-serif;"><br style="font-family: "Lucida Grande", Lucida, Verdana, sans-serif;">The pattern is as follows:<br style="font-family: "Lucida Grande", Lucida, Verdana, sans-serif;">YYRRRRRRR<br style="font-family: "Lucida Grande", Lucida, Verdana, sans-serif;">YY is the model year<br style="font-family: "Lucida Grande", Lucida, Verdana, sans-serif;">RRRRRRR is the number in product for the model year (starts at 0000001)

If you went by the numbering system started in 2014 it would be the 10,000th guitar produce by Gibson USA in 2013. (130010000)

Gibson USA 2014 to present – These serial numbers cannot be dated to a specific day of the year.<br style="font-family: "Lucida Grande", Lucida, Verdana, sans-serif;">The new model year typically launches in the fall as the current model year winds down. It is not uncommon for a new model year model to be produced during the previous model year (example – a 2015 model may have been built in late 2014).<br style="font-family: "Lucida Grande", Lucida, Verdana, sans-serif;"><br style="font-family: "Lucida Grande", Lucida, Verdana, sans-serif;">The pattern is as follows:<br style="font-family: "Lucida Grande", Lucida, Verdana, sans-serif;">YYRRRRRRR<br style="font-family: "Lucida Grande", Lucida, Verdana, sans-serif;">YY is the model year<br style="font-family: "Lucida Grande", Lucida, Verdana, sans-serif;">RRRRRRR is the number in product for the model year (starts at 0000001)

Ah! Didn't realize there was a different numbering system for Gibson USA.

Archived