Gibson Brands Forums

Enough With the Goofball Les Paul Colors Already....

badbluesplayer

These guys could sell a lot more LP Standards if they made them in "normal" colors. Every vendor has like 12 blue guitars and 10 sea snot green guitars and one or no burst guitars. And there's only one "normal" burst color produced. I figure now that the Levi's guy is running the joint they'll finally see how dumb it would be to try to sell more blue jeans by making them red.

These guys could sell a lot more LP Standards if they made them in "normal" colors. Every vendor has like 12 blue guitars and 10 sea snot green guitars and one or no burst guitars. And there's only one "normal" burst color produced. I figure now that the Levi's guy is running the joint they'll finally see how dumb it would be to try to sell more blue jeans by making them red.

...ditto...

This is exactly what I've said. And not only that, I don't know if it's just a coincidence or my imagination, but it seems like they were putting the nicer tops on the non-traditional colors

How many pickups would a Special Junior have?

Not that it's a bad color for guitars, but a white BB King?

How many pickups would a Special Junior have?

A special Jr. comes with a helmet.

Not that it's a bad color for guitars, but a white BB King?

Is that a Michael Jackson?

• 1 month later...

Choice is good, but does the Gibson Acoustic community want Sea Foam Fade and Cobra Bursts for their J-45's. Those Pink, Neon Green and Dungaree Blue ones went over like gang busters.I do not recall seeing one J-45 NGD in any of those colors.

Does it matter? The outspoken Gibson forum users only make up a miniscule population of all the Gibson customers. More choice is better for everyone, it's pro-consumer.

I think Gibson is going to end up with no other choice but to offer classic color choices to appeal to the old-school purists along with some new finish(es) to appeal to those not wanting "the same old thing". But that, along with a wide variety of models, may not be able to co-exist in a financially strapped company. In the end, Gibson should be pursuing a final high quality product over everything ... Look at the In-n-Out fast food chain; they have a very simplified menu, but execute it arguably better than any others to having the best burgers (IMO, anyway) and are hugely successful. Who reading this would want a double-double with onion right now? I would ... LOL.

II often wonder who buys the really ugly paint jobs. I guess there are enough people with weird/bad taste out there so that they end up somewhere... Personally, I like inventive colors and finishes; the problem with a large % of Gibson's attempts is that they just aren't much good, visually. I don't know who does their color designing (or that of some other makers), but they're not good at it. Taste is individual, ultimately, but reliable, effective color schemes are pretty possible to develop rather than just using the "do something weird/anything" approach. I'm actually tired of the old school finishes, now that every lousy Epi can duplicate the look with a paper-thin veneer. But most of Gibson's other color schemes are just bad. And there's a reason why you don't see blue finishes widely used on anything but guitars. Blame Scott Chinery, RIP, for making this ugly combo (wood/blue) "cool."

Archived