Gibson Brands Forums

2014 Custom Shop Dove

Mark Allin

I recently bought a 2014 Custom Shop Dove that has the cherry red back and sides and is in "near mint" condition. Based on the serial number I can tell it's a 2014 that was made in November, 2014 and was the 71st headstock stamped that day. It came with a Gibson Factory case (Made in Canada) and it is really blemish free beyond a very faint swirl on a tiny part of the pickguard.

I love the guitar, but, I paid $2K for it and can't find a Custom Shop version online to compare it against from a price perspective, so I'm curious if I overpaid, got a fair deal, or underpaid.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

post-97526-003378800 1546815966_thumb.jpg

I recently bought a 2014 Custom Shop Dove that has the cherry red back and sides and is in "near mint" condition. Based on the serial number I can tell it's a 2014 that was made in November, 2014 and was the 71st headstock stamped that day. It came with a Gibson Factory case (Made in Canada) and it is really blemish free beyond a very faint swirl on a tiny part of the pickguard.

I love the guitar, but, I paid $2K for it and can't find a Custom Shop version online to compare it against from a price perspective, so I'm curious if I overpaid, got a fair deal, or underpaid.

How did you date your guitar, I used guitardaterproject.org and I think they were off on two guitars. One I found out for fact it was build on 11/1994 and was sold 04/1994 guitar dater said 2010 it was made, the other the person I bought a guitar from said 2009 and guitar dater said, 1981, 1991, 2001 it could have been made. I am still searching.

How did you date your guitar, I used guitardaterproject.org and I think they were off on two guitars. One I found out for fact it was build on 11/1994 and was sold 04/1994 guitar dater said 2010 it was made, the other the person I bought a guitar from said 2009 and guitar dater said, 1981, 1991, 2001 it could have been made. I am still searching.

You don't need a dater for a Gibson acoustic built after 1976. Here's the formula:

Gibson Serial Numbers, 1977 to present.

All models, 8 digit number impressed in back top of peghead in the following format:

YY (1st and 5th digit) = year

DDD (digits 2-4) = day of the year,

001=Jan 1st, 365=Dec 31st.

NNN (digits 6-8) = rank of instrument for that day.

Example: 80012005 = 5th instrument made in Kalamazoo

on the first day of 1982.

Note all Kalamazoo made instruments (1977-1984) and Bozeman (1989-present) are numbered beginning with 001 each day. Instruments made at Nashville are numbered beginning with 500 each day.

I'd say that was a deal and a steal. CS instruments will always command a premium over standard models, I paid £2200 for my Custom Shop J180 secondhand and in my experience CS models are always an easier guitar to sell on the secondhand market.

Enjoy the Dove-I love them. Have owned a couple but was unlucky with build quality on the two I owned. I'm sure a Custom Shop build will have no such issues though! I will own another one day.

I dont see anything custom about it, looks identical to my 2008 Dove.

Having said that, thats a great price, less than what i paid for mine, and its also fabulous guitar.

I actually prefer it to my Hummingbird, even though it cost significantly more.

Heres a pic of mine, pretty much identical, aint it ?

Dove2_zpsuhz087ok.jpg

It’s the bridge

I just can’t like the bridge

Was watching a stones concert from ‘72 over the Xmas holidays and seen Keith with his while they played sweet Virginia

Think mick Taylor was playing a Martin but couldn’t see his properly

I would have preferred a simple straight bridge, but youi know what, you get used to it.

Mark,

Congratulations to the nice Dove. The price is very good, I was glad to find a new Dove ("Limited Edition", no Custom Shop) for 2.800€ last year as the "normal" price is over 4.000 € here in Germany. I think the 4 years age does not matter if the guitar is in the perfect shape as you describe. The first scratches and dents will follow anyhow. I like my Dove, it sounds different to the Hummingbird or J45, I like the longer scale. It looks very good due to the red maple back /sides / neck and the contrast to the top - and it still smells good when I take it out of the case. And the bridge is huge, but individual.

I dont see anything custom about it, looks identical to my 2008 Dove.

Having said that, thats a great price, less than what i paid for mine, and its also fabulous guitar.

I actually prefer it to my Hummingbird, even though it cost significantly more.

Heres a pic of mine, pretty much identical, aint it ?

Dove2_zpsuhz087ok.jpg

Well, I guess the only difference is the guys who made it. I've been told that the Custom Shop Guitars are Gibson's best efforts made by their best Craftsmen/Luthiers. I know that in my business (historical home renovations) when I put my top guys on special projects they turn out, well, "magical". ;-)

Well, I guess the only difference is the guys who made it. I've been told that the Custom Shop Guitars are Gibson's best efforts made by their best Craftsmen/Luthiers. . ;-)

hey, room. . . shhh ! ! !

OP Mark- congrats on a fine guitar. And you did not overpay. Not by a long shot.

Yes, the bridge is "unique", but as EA mentioned, you get used to seeing it. And you don't see it while enjoying the guitar. Of course, they are doing great things with laser-cut inlay nowadays. [smile] Normally a sunburst kinda guy here, but the Dove just looks better with the natural top to these eyes.

hey, room. . . shhh ! ! !

OP Mark- congrats on a fine guitar. And you did not overpay. Not by a long shot.

Yes, the bridge is "unique", but as EA mentioned, you get used to seeing it. And you don't see it while enjoying the guitar. Of course, they are doing great things with laser-cut inlay nowadays. [smile] Normally a sunburst kinda guy here, but the Dove just looks better with the natural top to these eyes.

Thanks!

Archived