Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Based Reference Songs

BoSoxBiker

Thanks for these, drathbun and Tman.

That guitar on the left early in "Here Comes the Sun" impresses me with how defined both the regular strumming and the muted strumming are both so clear. About the 20 second mark. I wonder if it was always like that, meaning before the loudness wars, or simply their technical prowess with the compressors at tracking/mixing.

Thanks for these, drathbun and Tman.

That guitar on the left early in "Here Comes the Sun" impresses me with how defined both the regular strumming and the muted strumming are both so clear. About the 20 second mark. I wonder if it was always like that, meaning before the loudness wars, or simply their technical prowess with the compressors at tracking/mixing.

I think what you're hearing at the 20-second mark is the blending in of the electric guitar track that Harrison laid down on August 6 where he played an electric fed through a Leslie rotating speaker. The original J200 acoustic tracks were recorded by Harrison the previous July 7, 1969. That opening 20 seconds of J200 panned hard left has always been pure J200 for me. For the rest of the song, the lead guitar riffs are mostly subsumed by the swirling Leslie/electric guitar part. This is why I appreciate the Harrison/Simon version so much because you just get pure Harrison acoustic - sublime.

Archived