Gibson Brands Forums

“No guitar for you!”

Shaun B55

Tried to have Gibson Custom Shop make a Double Cut and I was told that they wouldn’t build it because the Double Cut is a Gibson USA model and that they are not making them at this time. So if someone can explain why I can’t get the Custom Shop to make me a “Custom” guitar that would be great

Thanks

They probably won't do it because the Custom Shop is not tooled up to make a single cut, they probably don't have the jigs & patterns for one and even if they did it could mean stopping and resetting a CNC machine to produce one guitar then of course they'd have to re set it again, to do that the one guitar would have to be very expensive just to cover the loss of production. A modern production facility can't just change direction at the drop of a hat.

Ian

That doesn't sound right. Which dealer did you talk to?

What is interesting is that the Music Zoo has a list of models available for custom builds and it does not include the Modern Double Cut. https://www.themusiczoo.com/blogs/news/gibson-custom-shop-made-2-measure-center-at-the-music-zoo

But, that article is dated 2016 and I don't think they started making the double cut until 2017.

But, as far as I can tell, the Double Cut is a Custom Shop guitar, not Gibson USA.

They probably won't do it because the Custom Shop is not tooled up to make a single cut, they probably don't have the jigs & patterns for one and even if they did it could mean stopping and resetting a CNC machine to produce one guitar then of course they'd have to re set it again, to do that the one guitar would have to be very expensive just to cover the loss of production. A modern production facility can't just change direction at the drop of a hat.

Ian

First Off, my career is in CNC, so understanding the increase of cost for doing a "1 Off' piece is, Yeah i know! However there wasn't even an opportunity to discuss cost. I was simply told "No". Then we have the BS that a Double Cut is a Gibson USA model and not a Custom Shop Model, GIBSON is GIBSON. Next we have something that you put in your post that is becoming more an more apparent "is A modern production facility can't just change direction at the drop of a hat." I didn't think that the CUSTOM shop was a Production facility, CUSTOM Shop is where you go to get the guitar that is NOT production. Lets say a 24 3/4 Scale Strat shaped body with a 5 degree set Explorer neck with matching headstock? I should be able to call the CUSTOM Shop to have that made. but alas we are not even talking about a shape that is not "GIBSON" we are talking about a guitar that HAS been produced in the CS before. ( based on my research, a photo of a CS # on a DC )

Gibson Custom Shop = Gibson Historic Re-Production Production Facility, Or Customish Shop, or Gibson "Not really Custom Shop"

In Closing Please understand that I am still a GIBSON fan through and through, I will still buy the next Les Paul I fall in love with in my local music store. I own 8 Gibson Les Pauls and was in the market for a couple "True Custom" Pieces, Maybe 8 is enough!

Maybe Gibson could start a new Division called Gibson "For Reals Custom Guitars"

Shaun

That doesn't sound right. Which dealer did you talk to?

What is interesting is that the Music Zoo has a list of models available for custom builds and it does not include the Modern Double Cut. https://www.themusiczoo.com/blogs/news/gibson-custom-shop-made-2-measure-center-at-the-music-zoo

But, that article is dated 2016 and I don't think they started making the double cut until 2017.

But, as far as I can tell, the Double Cut is a Custom Shop guitar, not Gibson USA.

"Modern Double Cut"(2017) and "Les Paul Double Cut"(made For Years) are different Guitars I currently Have a 2016 Les Paul Double Cut Standard Ltd ( Wine red )

Thank you for your reply too

If this is the shape you want it's a Gibson USA guitar. How the Custom Shop or M2M program works is beyond me. I will certainly never buy an new Gibson ever again, or a used one for that matter.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2018/USA/Les-Paul-Special-Double-Cutaway-2018.aspx

This is the model

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-Standard-Double-Cutaway-Limited.aspx

If you open up the link its a Gibson USA model not a Custom Shop job. Its just a Limited Run. And it was from over 2 years ago. The CNC Machine has moved on to just what we need and want, LP bursts reissues that cost half as much as my car.

I own one of the 2016 Les Paul DC Ltd Run in Wine Red, probably my best Les Paul, I want 2 More in custom colours and a couple spec changes. i was pointing out the Fact that a "Custom Shop" should be able to build a Custom guitar from any year, They have the ability to recreate a 59 Les Paul to Historic Specs but not a 2016 Limited Double Cut? Silly!

If you open up the link its a Gibson USA model not a Custom Shop job. Its just a Limited Run. And it was from over 2 years ago. The CNC Machine has moved on to just what we need and want, LP bursts reissues that cost half as much as my car.

That would be four times as much as my car....

If I sold a half dozen guitars I could have a nicer car...

I have my priorities straight....

yeah maybe, after all the Mods is it really a savings tho? I don t think im gunna do anything until im not so pissy about the situation.

If you're pissy now, this is really gonna get you going. It's not the exact same model you want, but it is a double cut and it's not on their list of offerings.

https://reverb.com/item/18203905-gibson-custom-shop-les-paul-special-double-cut-made-to-measure-ultra-rare

If you're pissy now, this is really gonna get you going. It's not the exact same model you want, but it is a double cut and it's not on their list of offerings.

https://reverb.com/item/18203905-gibson-custom-shop-les-paul-special-double-cut-made-to-measure-ultra-rare

lol pissy level up to 11 he he, yeah i hope the new CEO makes some changes in the Custom Shop area! not holding my breath tho

• 2 months later...

Well, I guess Curly did make some changes, because I bought a Double Cut that's a Custom Shop. Oh, and I LOVE this guitar, holy cannoli! Plays like a dream, no neck dive, tone for days. Obviously the honeymoon's still on, but this could be my desert island instrument right here.

Link to Gibson site: https://www.gibson.c...LPSPDCFVOBLBNH1

My guitar:

post-88794-081274800 1553360141_thumb.jpg

Archived