Gibson Brands Forums

Original SG reissue 61 or fake?

steyen

Hi, I need your help for to undetstand one Gibson model.

The serial number is 91563553

Can you say me what model is it?

How can I understand if it is an original Gibson?

Thank you so much

Stefano

P. S. What could be the right price for this guitar?

post-97693-088257700 1547147031_thumb.jpg

post-97693-041430500 1547147044_thumb.jpg

post-97693-019495700 1547147059_thumb.jpg

post-97693-029769800 1547147086_thumb.jpg

1547147105[/url]' post='1971581']

Hi, I need your help for to undetstand one Gibson model.

The serial number is 91563553

Can you say me what model is it?

How can I understand if it is an original Gibson?

Thank you so much

Stefano

According to the serial number that is a 1993 Gibson SG.

From the pics, it has all the '61 appointments. Looks really clean and legit. msp_smile.gif

According to the serial number that is a 1993 Gibson SG.

From the pics, it has all the '61 appointments. Looks really clean and legit. msp_smile.gif

Thank you very much!

Yes it's reissue 61 but without tag.. So I prefer ask to you for understand if it is real original sg reissue 61.

Thank you again.

P. S. What could be the right price for this guitar?

It's a genuine Gibson SG.

It's not a reissue though. The serial number shows that it is simply a regular USA-line instrument which has 1963-style features so don't pay reissue money for it.

And I +'d Angel back up to +1 for you so that's sorted.

Pip.

1547200423[/url]' post='1971673']

It's a genuine Gibson SG.

It's not a reissue though. The serial number shows that it is simply a regular USA-line instrument which has 1963-style features so don't pay reissue money for it.

And I +'d Angel back up to +1 for you so that's sorted.

Pip.

It is a 1993 Gibson '61 reissue. The Standard 1993 Gibson SG have the batwing (large) pickguard and the long neck joint tenon. The pictures above show the short neck tenon, and angel wing (or tear drop) style pickguard. It also has the reissue holly inlay in the correct position for the '61 reissue.

Those online sites that check serial numbers will only tell you the Year/Date, Factory, and production number. They won't tell you what model it is or even if it's an SG.

Just call Gibson with the serial number and they will tell you exactly what it was when it left the factory. ;)

The Serial # reads to be a 1993, early June..... but, WHEN IN DOUBT JUST CALL GIBSON CUSTOMER SERVICE in NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE, USA @ +18004GIBSON during regular business hours in Nashville. Follow the prompts and then Tell whoever you get in touch with the serial# and in seconds the model guitar in question will be ID'd as it was shipped from the factory: Original Colour, Original Pickup's etc etc for comparison to how it sits now.....GIBSON Customer Service has never failed me.

For comparative pricing check out REVERB DOT COM......I looked , just for general interest,..a '61 Re-Issue...HHHMMMM., the prices are all over the place with no exact match , BUT...$2,000 ? any more than that and I'd pass!

It looks legitimate but I will say those are some Weird-A$$ lookin SERIAL #'s....and its probably the flash from the camera, but still, that looks weird/funny actually.

...It is a 1993 Gibson '61 reissue...

In which case I stand corrected!

I thought that they were called simply a 'Gibson SG Standard 61' and not officially given genuine re-issue status by Gibson per se as, starting in 1993, the reissues were made exclusively by the Historic Division / Custom Shop and the presence of ink-stamped serial numbers reflected this distinction.

In a similar fashion the USA-line Les Paul '1960 Classic' is frequently referred to as a 1960 reissue but it isn't one - ink stamped serial number notwithstanding.

But, hey, I'm more than happy to admit that I know almost nothing about the SG variants of the last 30 years or so and could be completely and utterly wrong; I was once before so it could well have happened again.

msp_smile.gif

Pip.

EDIT : A bit like this current offering in fact. The 2019 Gibson SG Standard '61 built by Gibson USA. No mention of it being a reissue;

http://www.gibson.co...rd-61-2019.aspx

...as opposed to this. Gibson SG Standard Reissue built by the Custom Shop;

http://www.gibson.co...rd-Reissue.aspx

EDIT : A bit like this current offering in fact. The 2019 Gibson SG Standard '61 built by Gibson USA. No mention of it being a reissue;

the sg reissue 61 was produced only until 2013

1547210822[/url]' post='1971691']

I thought that they were called simply a 'Gibson SG Standard 61' and not officially given genuine re-issue status by Gibson per se as, starting in 1993, the reissues were made exclusively by the Historic Division / Custom Shop and the presence of ink-stamped serial numbers reflected this distinction.

In a similar fashion the USA-line Les Paul '1960 Classic' is frequently referred to as a 1960 reissue but it isn't one - ink stamped serial number notwithstanding.

But, hey, I'm more than happy to admit that I know almost nothing about the SG variants of the last 30 years or so and could be completely and utterly wrong; I was once before so it could well have happened again.

msp_smile.gif

Pip.

You are correct, they have a Historic/Custom shop version SG re-issue and it is a different beast. It's a beautiful SG, and a bit more expensive (not necessarily a better player though, IMHO).

msp_smile.gif

Pip.

You are correct, they have a Historic/Custom shop version SG re-issue and it is a different beast. It's a beautiful SG, and a bit more expensive (not necessarily a better player though, IMHO).

Not sure if its a reissue or not, but it is unusual in that it has a 61 neck joint that was normally only produced in the 60's or for 60's reissue models...

img_0683-1024x728.jpg

1547241522[/url]' post='1971780']

Not sure if its a reissue or not, but it is unusual in that it has a 61 neck joint that was normally only produced in the 60's or for 60's reissue models...

img_0683-1024x728.jpg

Beautiful! :)

What year is the Alpine White?

this site says little..

the guitar seems the same, but what is the difference with the reissue 61?

Sorry, I thought you would have been impressed that it was a rare SG. Didn't realize you were looking for finer details. It seems you have the same tools as the rest of us here, Google and the phone number to Gibson Customer Service. Good luck my friend, msp_biggrin.gif

Sorry, I thought you would have been impressed that it was a rare SG. Didn't realize you were looking for finer details. It seems you have the same tools as the rest of us here, Google and the phone number to Gibson Customer Service. Good luck my friend, msp_biggrin.gif

Don't worry I appreciate your contribution :)

my english is too poor to call directly to the Gibson Customer Service, but I sent an email to Gibson Customer Service.. they are a bit 'slow to respond [-o<

thank you very much ;)

Archived