Gibson Brands Forums

Best amp for an SG to get a Black Sabbath, MC5 or Stooges sort of sound?

sprnght3

Hey just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for amps to get that super dirty 70's metal sound from an SG. Like Sabbath, MC5..Stooges kinda nasty. Im talkin supernasty and thick...

Thx!

I have to ask what kind venue you will be playing, like outdoors, a large indoor, a small club, studio, practice at home? A Marshall stack sounds great outdoors or in a large space. To get the thick split speaker sound from it, you gotta drive the amp to ear damage level. Old tube amps sound good but tend to be noisy. New amps with good pre-amp overdrive may get you there with less static noise, getting warm and thick tones. If you want your drive sound to be generated by your amp, you may need multiple channels to get different levels of drive, or use external pedals?

at the risk of sounding like a big old turd... the amps/guitars/gear players use doesn't have as much to do with own unique their "sound" as what their hands can do.

This especially true when running your amp clean with external drives and effects.. Your hands become the dominate force in your signature sound..

Immoi was also missing the tip of his finger so he turned tuning down like a full step

He's actually missing the fingertips of the right middle and ring fingers. he plays with little extensions on them. If you watch some videos of him playing and pause or slow them down you can see them.

And he still made it to the top.

PS: he's still missing them. (sorry, I couldn't help it msp_biggrin.gif)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TyktFhsM38

This especially true when running your amp clean with external drives and effects.. Your hands become the dominate force in your signature sound..

Absolutely.. not saying the right gear isn't anything to pursue, what ever floats ones boat!

but having said that, the gear really will only get you so far. your sound is in your hands.. it all starts there..

He's actually missing the fingertips of the right middle and ring fingers. He plays with little extensions on them. If you watch some videos of him playing and pause or slow them down you can see them.

Yes, he lost them performing metal work on the afternoon of his last day of work. He wasn't going in for the afternoon to work after leaving work to go eat his lunch at home, but his mother made him go back. He refers to his finger extensions as his "thimbles".

Back in the day those sounds were created by huge Marshall (or Hi Watt or others) stacks - numerous heads for a lot of power, and multiple cabinets. But it was SO LOUD. It was often too loud even in amphitheaters or outdoor stadiums.

Nowadays you can get super distorted overdriven sound out of small wattage combo amps, or with effects pedals. I would suggest a tube amp with a pre-amp volume and a master volume. Crank up the pre-amp to overdrive the tubes and then hold down the overall volume of the speaker with the master volume.

I have a Blackstar HT5 which is a 5 watt amp that can really crank out huge distorted overdriven sounds. It's small, light and even has a headphone jack so you can crank up in the middle of the night in your apartment without disturbing the neighbors.

Yes, he lost them performing metal work on the afternoon of his last day of work. He wasn't going in for the afternoon to work after leaving work to go eat his lunch at home, but his mother made him go back. He refers to his finger extensions as his "thimbles".

Yeah, I can't believe he blamed it on his mother! LOL.

TONY has been using LANEY Amps for a good long while after Marshall would no longer give him free gear !

I would use a MARSHALL 800 W/Treble Boost and depending on what decibel levels I could play at, some sort of Distortion Pedal if the GAIN on the Amp could not be utilized.When Tony Plays LIVE he has a tremendously THIN sound, even though I know he use's a compressor (hearing it ring when he changes Guitars is the give-away), especially on older live recordings.

Archived