Gibson Brands Forums

Grounding wire to bridge

hi13ts

Hi friends,

Just installed a trapeze tailpiece on my ES 333. Been a fan of that look since saw Trent Reznor play the 2013 Studios on tour that year (I know, unlikely player to think of when it comes to 335s). Thought the juxtaposition of his digital onslaught with the inherent vintage vibe of a 335 with a trapeze was the coolest thing. To my surprise, it plays and sounds great with the trapeze. Tuning is actually very stable, not much different than with the stop tail. I was certain that the floating trapeze would impact my tone, sustain, and tuning, but so far, it's been excellent all around.

The last thing I have left is to relocate the ground wire from the stop bar studs to the ABR-1. I tried pulling the ground wire out of the maple block but it's not moving. I'm not very familiar with how to ground the guitar, but I see that wire is soldered onto the neck volume pot. My question is if it's possible to attach another a new wire to the neck volume pot and route it up to the ABR-1 instead of trying to finagle the existing wire out of the center block. I think this would be the easiest way. If so, should I look for a particular wire size?

Please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

My memory is failing on me. I think the ground wire usually goes to the end of the trapeze mount where the strap button is screwed.

The vintage bridge sometimes have plastic saddles and if it's grounded to the ABR-1 machine post, it will not work.

You're absolutely right, kaicho, I was mistaken. I ended up drilling two holes near the strap pin, one with a broken drill bit forever stuck in there, and the other reaching into the inner cavity to route the ground wire out. It is finally a success and the trapeze masks the holes.

The question now is how do I cover up the stop bar holes? I was thinking of finding wood veneer stickers finished in cherry or red, but am having a hard time finding it. I realize that finding the exact matching shade of red may be impossible, but I haven't been able to find wood stickers that come close. I am currently resorting to using red label dots. I had some black soot (it's not soot, I'm think it's some sort of colored fairy or chalk dust. It came with an album as an artistic component) that I rubbed on it and it's fades okay. Not great, but will work for now. Has anyone worked on filling those stop bar holes?

Archived