Gibson Brands Forums

Be nice if J-35 looked and sounded like this

Dallon426

I agree. They make the new J-35 with the vintage rectangular bridge, the period correct number of frets and fretboard tongue on the top (not touching the sound hole) and then add stuff that wasn't on the original like the banner and gold script Gibson logo. I wish they had stained the back and sides as they were on the vintage models. Oh well.

The only modern guitar which to my ears comes close in sound to a 1930s J-35 is the Collings version which has the non-scalloped three tone bar bracing copied from the original 1939 Gibson loaned to them by Mass St. Music. Like the originals it is a very midrangey sounding instrument so may not appeal to the modern ear. I believe the closest Gibson has come is an LE version with three tone bars. But they did not go all the way and still used their standard scalloped X brace carve.

It would have been great if Gibson would have made the new releases look like these. J-35 True Vintage? Might be worth considering Gibson:0

Here is the modern one the Chicago Music Exchange made. Sounds pretty good. Looks great

Bozeman’s original intent with the “new” J 35 was to make a modern budget guitar with all solid woods and dovetail neck joint.

Adding too many “vintage” features would drive the price up and defeat the original idea of it being affordable .

JC

Weren't the new J-35s with white script logos a special series just sold at Chicago Music Exchange? I could be wrong. I would've settled for aging toner on the top and a simple white logo but, hey, I'm still happy with my '16 J-35. Love the sound.

If I lived in the U.S., I would think about having the pickup taken out and maybe even having the bridge routed for a through-cut saddle. Just to be unique. Maybe even have the headstock resprayed and have the simple white logo applied if I could find a silkscreen for it online. But, alas, I live abroad and you don't find many venues or sound people who know how to mic an acoustic guitar, so having a pickup is handy. And the nearest decent guitar repair shop is an hour and 45 minutes away by plane in Dubai.

It's really not expensive to make a guitar look Vintage. Aged toner, thin finish, stain the mahogany... Done

In 2007 Gibson started a 2 basic style of guitars : The Modern Classics and The True Vintage Collection ... over time those have morphed into the Standard Series and the Vintage Series you can read more about the original collections here:

http://archive.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/ProductSpotlight/GearAndInstruments/True%20Vintage%20and%20Modern%20Classi/

The J 35 introduced in 2013 is more in line with the Standard Series than with the Vintage Series.... So that’s why it doesn’t have the “vintage look” you are wishing it had.

Each collection is great for what it is.

JC

I've owned many. Including Vintage l-00 models

True vintage l-00

2016 j-45 Vintage

J-45 standard 2014

2013 j-35

Sold all except my j-45 standard. But I've converted it to look like an actual vintage model.

Better is subjective. But I bet a lot ofpeople would prefer the j-35 to look like the examples l posted vs the current offering.

We live in a world where everything changes and with it the prices go up. Just because something is changed and/or cost more doesn't mean it's better. It may be better, but that's "subjective" when it comes to how good a guitar sounds. I've seen some Hummingbird TVs that I'd love to have. They look and sound fantastic, but I haven't seen or heard any that make me consider selling my fifteen-year-old standard bird. I've got the bucks to buy one, but I just don't think I'd really be gaining anything over my Hummingbird. That's just my subjective opinion.

I've owned many. Including Vintage l-00 models

True vintage l-00

2016 j-45 Vintage

J-45 standard 2014

2013 j-35

Sold all except my j-45 standard. But I've converted it to look like an actual vintage model.

Better is subjective. But I bet a lot ofpeople would prefer the j-35 to look like the examples l posted vs the current offering.

Beggars can’t be choosers .Gibson put out that simple J 35 for the guy or girl who has been saving up his/her pennies and wants Gibson on the headstock.It was purely to give access to people who couldn’t othewise afford a Gibson. So that’s the reason for the current offering

Don Ruffatto from Gibson explains:

For the people who have more coin then they do limited runs of Vintage looking J 35’s like this one from a while back:

https://davesguitar.com/products/gibson-montana/j-35-collectors-edition-limited-edition/

Now with the Made 2 Measure program you can order a Vintage looking J 35 but the price will be in line with the Vintage Series.

JC

We live in a world where everything changes and with it the prices go up. Just because something is changed and/or cost more doesn't mean it's better. It may be better, but that's "subjective" when it comes to how good a guitar sounds. I've seen some Hummingbird TVs that I'd love to have. They look and sound fantastic, but I haven't seen or heard any that make me consider selling my fifteen-year-old standard bird. I've got the bucks to buy one, but I just don't think I'd really be gaining anything over my Hummingbird. That's just my subjective opinion.

Larry,

You’re right .I guess that just the “hand built” factor and the fact that every piece of wood is different coming into play.

Sometimes we just find the perfect guitar that can’t be beat.

Enjoy your Hbird in good health.

JC

Archived