Gibson Brands Forums

Advanced Jumbo Custom

JuanCarlosVejar

Folks,

I had a question going around my mind for the last few days.

Was there anyone crazy enough in the late 30’s to have ordered a maple AJ ? This question was in my head for about a week.

Gruhn Guitars have answered it:

https://guitars.com/inventory/ag6628-c-1940-gibson-advanced-jumbo-custom

Although it has been refinished ... I think this thing is a maple lovers dream!!!

If only I were right handed ...

JC

Those are the kind of questions you have going around in your head for over a week? Well, that's alright. Juan Carlos, your posts always add much content to this board.

Anyone want to take a guess what Mr. Gruhn would be asking for this guitar, had it not been oversprayed? The close up shot of the top is a good reminder of how the finish darkens in the wear in the top below the pickguard when it's been oversprayed. And what a beautiful piece of Firestripe that 'guard is. Does anyone care that it's over the rosette?

Also- does that look like a slimmer nut width? The rounded carve on the back of the neck is much more tame than the deep V that was more common in the thirties, but looks to be more similar to a J-55 (which could be found with the same style of bridge) from the same era .

Nice find.

This is literally the grail for me. I would happily trade away every single guitar I've ever owned just to be in the company of this thing.

This is one of those moments where words don't suffice and you feel like mashing the keyboard and singing at the top of your lungs...

I adore the bridge. And the stairstep SJ100 style pickguard. And the fact it is MAPLE!

I have no more words...just...wow.

Gibson, of course built their higher dollar guitars in very small numbers so they were obviously not expecting to sell a whole lot of them especially in a day when all their sales fore did was sit in the office and take orders.

Way back when I ran across a very well played 1930s AJ. I played it and I wanted it. Had a price tag of less than $1K. Back then though it might as well have been million bucks. Last year I ran across a 1941 J-55. All original but not in the best of shape. Price tag was around $18,000. It actually got me in that "if I sold this or that" I might be able to swing it frame of mind. But this or that would have meant my 1942 J-50 and that was not about to happen.

I have never bonded with vintage maple flat tops. When played on lead, they just don't cut. We have a few -- two L-Cs, a banner J-45, and a 65 Dove. They are fine solo but not so fine in a heavy acoustic situation.

Historically a very large percentage maple flat tops -- although I don't really about the J-200 family -- are laminated. I wonder if this AJ is.

I have never bonded with vintage maple flat tops. When played on lead, they just don't cut. We have a few -- two L-Cs, a banner J-45, and a 65 Dove. They are fine solo but not so fine in a heavy acoustic situation.

Historically a very large percentage maple flat tops -- although I don't really about the J-200 family -- are laminated. I wonder if this AJ is.

Tom,

It’s gone ... Surely it had an exceptional sound.

JC

Archived