Gibson Brands Forums

Help me identify this guitar

Nitzer

Hello all! I want help to identify this guitar i bought for almost nothing. I want to know if its authentic or a fake.

I have searched for the serialnumber on the net, but i cant bond JI (the first to letters) to any factory.

But i think it is a 1998 model. Can someone please help me identify it, and tell me if it's authentic?

Here is the link to all pictures on the guitar. (Shared map on Onedrive)

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AglYL7EKbZYZhoUqndH8eRo47eyVpg

Regards from Nitzer.

The shape of the head-stock is jacked up, for an Epiphone anyway.

I'm not sure what that is, but it's not quite right.

:unsure:

Ok. Thank you for your answer. I will se if i get some more answers.

Nitzer,

I did some more digging around, and on second thought, that oddly-featured Epiphone head stock looks mighty similar to other late- 1990's Epiphone LPJunior Double-Cutaway models.

The only difference I can tell, comparing yours to this 1997 model, is the number of screws holding the pick guard down, the closeness of the P-90 pickup to the pick guard, and the type of tuning keys.

https://reverb.com/item/14720390-epiphone-les-paul-junior-double-cutaway-p90-grovers-1997-guitar-dc

The main thing at this point is, does it play well and sound good?

It's certain a good-looking guitar!!

:)

Nitzer,

I did some more digging around, and on second thought, that oddly-featured Epiphone head stock looks mighty similar to other late- 1990's Epiphone LPJunior Double-Cutaway models.

The only difference I can tell, comparing yours to this 1997 model, is the number of screws holding the pick guard down, the closeness of the P-90 pickup to the pick guard, and the type of tuning keys.

https://reverb.com/item/14720390-epiphone-les-paul-junior-double-cutaway-p90-grovers-1997-guitar-dc

The main thing at this point is, does it play well and sound good?

It's certain a good-looking guitar!!

Yes it really does look similar. The biggest difference i spotted is the plastic hatch on the backside covering the potentiometers. This info gives me some hope it is not a fake, and yes, it plays very well and sounds good. Thank you for your efforts and for your time spent to help me.

Regards!

Yes it really does look similar. The biggest difference i spotted is the plastic hatch on the backside covering the potentiometers. This info gives me some hope it is not a fake, and yes, it plays very well and sounds good. Thank you for your efforts and for your time spent to help me.

Regards!

Then it's a keeper.

I am convinced at this point that it's a genuine Epiphone.

Play it, love it, and take good care of it.

Archived