Gibson Brands Forums

2013 LPJ

bhphp

So I've playing guitar for over 2 years now and been thinking about upgrading to a new guitar from my Squier.

And I had found a second hand 2013 LPJ, and the guitar is a bit worn out but it has 61 tribute zebra coils and it's little over 500$.

Well I know a bit about guitars but not a thing when it comes to pickups. The owner says the pickups were from les paul tradional and offers to give me the guitar with it's stock pickups (490-498) if I wish.

So what can you say about both the guitar and the pickups? And is the price good?

I can't speak much about the guitar, esp. without photos to see condition.

But the 49x is a good pickup combo, I have 2 gibbies (which I've had for quite some time now) with these pickups. Great for just about everything I've ever put them to use for.

If you decide to get it definitely get the 490R & 498T Pickups from him... They are great Pickups... You might like them better or be able to use them in another a Guitar later...

Definitely a better buy with them...

L

It will do two things for you if you get that LPJ. The LPJ is a way better quality guitar than the squire and it will be a better investment than the little squire too. Then you would have an extra set of pick ups too worth at least 150.00 for the pair. You would be coming out ahead especially if you could talk the LPJ seller down a few bucks too before you made the purchase. Good luck.

Good luck. I like the 490/498 setup too. I don't have much experience with the 61 pickups you have but people seem to either love or hate the 490/498s. Try going to a store and try a guitar that already has them fitted and see what you think. My memory serves me that the LPJ had some sort of black plastic cover over the pickups, so that look may not be for everyone either.

The only downside of the 490/498 combo in this particular case is that they are the version that comes with the black plastic covers, the cover also acts as the tabs that hold the screws for the the pickup to stay in place.

Not a real issue I guess, just the faux EMG pickup look.

On my 2013 SGJ I removed the covers, added a normal baseplate with tabs and added nickel no-hole covers since this version of the pickup does not have adjustable pole pieces.

So I've playing guitar for over 2 years now and been thinking about upgrading to a new guitar from my Squier.

And I had found a second hand 2013 LPJ, and the guitar is a bit worn out but it has 61 tribute zebra coils and it's little over 500$.

Well I know a bit about guitars but not a thing when it comes to pickups. The owner says the pickups were from les paul tradional and offers to give me the guitar with it's stock pickups (490-498) if I wish.

So what can you say about both the guitar and the pickups? And is the price good?

Its NOT a GREAT Price, but not terrible either if the frets aren't dented, the neck is straight and the Guitar is in good shape.......it just might be what someone playin for two years needs to up your game....go to him with $450-$475, if he is smart, he will grab it !

Archived