Gibson Brands Forums

Side Effect Blues

BoSoxBiker

And now for something completely different. An original comedy song. Well, at least the lyrics are original. Not sure if this is a traditional Blues-Rock XX-Bar Blues thing or not.

Side Effect Blues

This is was written later in the day after learning "Cocaine Blues" in the morning. Right after Christmas. Might be my shortest song idea to first bounce I've done. Plus I got a cover out of it. [thumbup]

I did some small mix changes from "Cocaine Blues". Brought guitars up, spread stereo image out and leveled out the drums a good bit. There's something so right about doing anything at all related to country using an SJ-200, Tele and Gretsch.

I changed a couple lines a few days ago to make things flow and/or rhyme better. It's pretty much as it was other than that.

And as we do here for originals, the lyrics. (A few phrases has minor changes while singing the vocals.) I might have to change one line and re-sing. I got a, "Why do I have to smell?" comment. whooops!!! :lol:

[VERSE 1]

Gramma's hot flashes made her want to kill.

Doctor gave her some sort of estrogen pill.

Then she got pulled for speeding in a traffic stop.

Now he's giving hormones to a crying cop.

[VERSE 2]

Told my family doctor I was gaining some weight.

he gave me a pill to help me watch what I ate.

Label said lactation this_ and that.

Now I wake up in the morning breast feeding my cat.

[CHORUS 1]

Lordy, Lordy, you know I've been good.

I done everything my doctor said I should.

I'll do anything you ask me to,

If you help me kick these nasty Side Effect Blues

[CHORUS]

If you help me kick these Side Effect Blues

[VERSE 3]

Doctor, doctor help me improve my game.

He gave me blue pills and Iron vitamins.

Warning on the bottle said for light head.

but I walk around all day pointing north instead.

[VERSE 4]

I my doctor that something wasn't quite right.

I couldn't roll over in bed anymore at night.

He said to call the office if it happened again.

Two nurses knocked on my door 'bout half past ten.

[VERSE 5]

Went to the doctor to get a shot for the flu.

Doctor said it was really bad this year, too.

But the side effects were worse than getting sick.

I spent the weekend over the bathroom sink.

[VERSE 6]

I told my doctor I was crying at nights.

Chemically imbalanced, take these to get it right.

Next month he asked if they worked like he'd said.

I said they're working fine, but now I wet the bed.

[VERSE 7]

I went to the doctor to find out what I got.

I was farting too much, insides all in a knot.

But the warning label told me to stop

If I felt like I drank the water in Juarez Mexico.

[VERSE 8]

My wife woke up this morning with a sore throat.

A funny smell and she was starting to bloat.

'said might lose her voice and maybe get a rash,

We made love in the dark, she sound like Johnny Cash

[CHORUS]

If you help me kick these Side Effect Blues

I’m surprised more forum members didm’t post a response for you. No rhyme or reason to that, that I can see. Sounds like you put a lot of thought into the song’s concept, as well as keeping the lyrics focused on the concept as well as keeping the lyrics tongue and cheek, plus a lot of effort into the quick demo recording of the song. I imagine over time, phrasing of the lyrics will evolve to emphasize each line of the song to make it into a real showstopper of a song when you perform it live, keeping listeners on the edge waiting for each line’s punch. In other words I hear some really good potential in the song, recognizing that it’s still a newly hatched demo performance of it.

Just my perception.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Thanks, QM aka Jazzman Jeff. I am very much struggling with vocals. What's in my head isn't anything like what comes out. I made big improvements last year, but have a long way to go.

This forum is more acoustic centric than production hobbyist with electric guitars, bass and programmed drums. I guess that's part of the reason. As long as a few do and offer up some comments and advice I'm fine. I know my voice is rough and the "productions" far from perfect. I'm learning and having fun doing it. I'd rather learn how to play everything (except drums, horns, strings) than to use backing tracks. Hopefully it will continue to improve and come out less rough sooner than later.

I think some of your productions are top notch. This is one of them, and your instrumental version of Cortez the Killer ranks very high in my opinion. Yes, your singing is probably a weaker point (I know all about that myself...), but don't let that stop you. Tom Waits does not have the greatest of voices, but he makes it work.

With a little bit polishing of the timing of the words, this song can be great!

Lars

I think some of your productions are top notch. This is one of them, and your instrumental version of Cortez the Killer ranks very high in my opinion. Yes, your singing is probably a weaker point (I know all about that myself...), but don't let that stop you. Tom Waits does not have the greatest of voices, but he makes it work.

With a little bit polishing of the timing of the words, this song can be great!

Lars

Thanks again, Lars. One of these days, maybe, I'll stumble upon an acceptable voice. Until then I keep on trying. I keep thinking that if I have as much progress on that front this year as I had last year, it might not be that bad. And when it gets to the not that bad state, I have got soooo many songs that I want to re-do.

Archived