Gibson Brands Forums

Static noise with SG Std '61

SG Joe

Guitar is about 3 months old, purchased from Sweetwater, had the Techs there do a setup prior to sending out the guitar, I live in central New York and we are in the middle of winter, furnace is running frequently, have whole house humidifier running but only able to keep house humidity around 40%

I keep (2) Boveda humidifier packs (49%) in each guitar case

Getting snaps and crackles out of amp when touching strings or anything metal on the SG, also when I rub the control plate cover on the back of the body, nothing from the pick guard (none of this happens when I have my Telecaster plugged in using exact same setup)

Talked to the SW techs about this and they are quite sure it is "static build up" caused by the nitro finish, they did say however I could take it to a certified Gibson repair shop, under warranty, if I feel it is necessary, for now I tend to agree about the "static"

I have tried the "dryer sheet" fix, not seeing that help much, maybe a little and the sheets leave a film on the guitar body, Dunlop 65 cleans that right up, also been keeping a couple of dryer sheets in the cases

I'm thinking about removing the back control cover just to look and see if there is anything that doesn't look right ( loose wire, bad solder joint etc.) because of the warranty I will just look (for now)

This is my 1st Gibson, so I have nothing to compare this to and I don't remember the guitar doing this when I 1st got it

I know forum members here have a lot more knowledge about these things than I ever will, so I am looking for some of your thoughts on this matter

BTW - I just love the SG, how it plays, the sound, the looks everything but the static :-)

Thanks in advance

Joe

we saw a very long running post last year here all about QC issues and how dare Gibson put out a product that's defective.. .. ..

very soon you're going to start getting a lot of replies.. mostly rub dryer sheets (which are heat activated (??)) against your guitar... which you stated didn't work.

next you'll get someone stating you're going to need to pull all the electronics in the guitar and cover the wood cavities with conductive paint..

I'm in Canada . have a whole house humidifier and a room one as well. my room currently is at 45%.

try 2 simple things first..

1- take the plastic covers off the back of the guitar and see if it goes away.

if it doesn't try step 2

2- this being a Nitro coated guitar.. try cleaning the body with naphtha, of any polishes you've added to the guitar.

naphtha is a good cleaning agent .

1547675260[/url]' post='1972522']

Guitar is about 3 months old, purchased from Sweetwater, had the Techs there do a setup prior to sending out the guitar, I live in central New York and we are in the middle of winter, furnace is running frequently, have whole house humidifier running but only able to keep house humidity around 40%

Getting snaps and crackles out of amp when touching strings or anything metal on the SG, also when I rub the control plate cover on the back of the body, nothing from the pick guard (none of this happens when I have my Telecaster plugged in using exact same setup)

Talked to the SW techs about this and they are quite sure it is "static build up" caused by the nitro finish, they did say however I could take it to a certified Gibson repair shop, under warranty, if I feel it is necessary, for now I tend to agree about the "static"

I have tried the "dryer sheet" fix, not seeing that help much, maybe a little and the sheets leave a film on the guitar body, Dunlop 65 cleans that right up, also been keeping a couple of dryer sheets in the cases

I'm thinking about removing the back control cover just to look and see if there is anything that doesn't look right ( loose wire, bad solder joint etc.) because of the warranty I will just look (for now)

This is my 1st Gibson, so I have nothing to compare this to and I don't remember the guitar doing this when I 1st got it

I know forum members here have a lot more knowledge about these things than I ever will, so I am looking for some of your thoughts on this matter

BTW - I just love the SG, how it plays, the sound, the looks everything but the static :-)

Thanks in advance

Joe

I bought a 2016 SG Standard (Heritage Cherry) that had the same issue, maybe worse. It would even crackle and pop as you moved your hand up and down along the neck. I had multiple posts here about this when I first got it, but don't seem to be able to find them anymore. Basically, I had tried everything, and nothing worked! I even took it to an Authorized Gibson Repair "Center" as instructed to by Gibson, it even cracked and popped right there at the techs bench, and was still told there was nothing wrong with the it, and that I could try some spray static guard on it to see if it would help (it didn't), lol

The only thing that has helped, was time. Maybe it's been all the wipe downs and cleaning? I don't really know, but it's not near as bad as it was when new and is barley noticeable nowadays.

The SG Standards from 2017/2018 don't seem to have this issue.

1547676021[/url]' post='1972526']

we saw a very long running post last year here all about QC issues and how dare Gibson put out a product that's defective.. .. ..

very soon you're going to start getting a lot of replies.. mostly rub dryer sheets (which are heat activated (??)) against your guitar... which you stated didn't work.

next you'll get someone stating you're going to need to pull all the electronics in the guitar and cover the wood cavities with conductive paint..

I'm in Canada . have a whole house humidifier and a room one as well. my room currently is at 45%.

try 2 simple things first..

1- take the plastic covers off the back of the guitar and see if it goes away.

2- this being a Nitro coated guitar.. try cleaning the body with naphtha, of any polishes you've added to the guitar.

naphtha is a good cleaning agent .

Yes it is.

naphtha.jpg

You should be using ‘used’ dryer sheets. New ones have chemical coatings on them. Take a used one from ur dryer and when you’re going to play, rub the neck, back and control plate covers with the dryer sheet. Once you start playing most of that static will be gone. After a few months the nitro will cure and you won’t have this problem. It’s quite common with nitro finished Gibson. My 2017 SG Std doesn’t do this but my new 2019 SG Tribute (with the thinner ‘faded’ nitro finish) does it often. I don’t notice it after about 10 minutes of playing. I keep a used dryer sheet or two on my studio desk just to quickly wipe down the guitar when I first start playing.

Thanks to everyone for the replies, I have been using "used" dryer sheets and I will check under the back control cover and I will try to be patient and hopefully the static will eventually go away on its own , if I do see anything that doesn't look right under the control cover I will post back here with pics -

Thanks again for your time

Joe

Thanks in advance

Joe

BRO, this is an EZ FIX, buy some COPPER SHIELDING TAPE. REMOVE the Control Pocket Cover and put the Copper Shielding Tape on that and ALSO take out the TOGGLE SWITCH, and put the Copper Shielding Tape under where the Switch sits and UP the SIDE WALLs up to the lip that meets the Cover.You can also put the Copper Shielding Tape everywhere else in the Control Pocket you can get at, BUT there should be NO NEED to take out the PC Board. After doing this just put the cover back on.......THE PROBLEM SHOULD BE SOLVED!! This is what I did to my 2019 SG STANDARD w/Maestro

I live in the N E USA and have had the same problem on 8 GIBSON USA Guitars since 2016, GIBSON USA has stopped using SHIELDING PAINT in the Control Pocket Cavity, and WE ARE DOING THEIR WORK FOR THEM. GIBSON USA is actually sellin UNFINISHED GUITARS and this makes me mad, and especially with the recent PRICE $ increase's, GEEZ LOUISE !!! GIBSON 'MEMPHIS' has no such problem as they use a contraption to prevent it and GIBSON CUSTOM SHOP Guitars are all still having the Control Pockets, Pickup Cavities/Runways & Toggle-Switch Cavities(where applicable) PAINTED with SHIELDING PAINT. GIBSON USA is selling UN-FINISHED Guitars but denies it all day long. I have called them on it too. They do NOTHING !

BUT N E WAY, after I sent a 2017 Les Paul STANDARD back to SWEETWATER on a separate warranty repair, they SHIELDED the entire Guitar. I got MY LES PAUL back and it was SILENT, but it cost me $120 (I SHIELDED the Pick-Up Cavities prior to shipping it to SWEETWATER) as it was NOT covered under the WARRANTY as I thought it should have been...after paying to have several other Guitars shielded (SAME PROBLEM) I tried doing it myself and one day I did my 2019 SG STANDARD MAESTRO, BUT I only did the Toggle-Switch that I mentioned above and back of the Control Pocket Cover,then I stopped for the day, and to my surprise when I put it back together and plugged the Guitar in, VILOA...... IT WAS FIXED. IMO, it is the Toggle-Switch that needs to be SHIELDED. I figured it out over a two year period of process of elimination, trial and error....and paying to shield the entire Guitar 4-5 times !! BIG $ TO DO GIBSON USA's JOB FOR THEM !

TRUST BRO, the Guitar JUST NEEDS TO BE PROPERLY SHIELDED, I GUARANTEE IT !!! if i was close by I would do it for you, it only takes 30 minutes and $3 worth of Copper Shielding Tape, TOPS !

Thanks to everyone for the replies, I have been using "used" dryer sheets and I will check under the back control cover and I will try to be patient and hopefully the static will eventually go away on its own , if I do see anything that doesn't look right under the control cover I will post back here with pics -

Thanks again for your time

Joe

BRO, YOU CAN FIX THIS EASILY, THE GUITAR NEEDS TO BE SHIELDED. I had the same problem, drove me nuts........BUT NOT N E MORE !.

OMG, THROW THE DRYER SHEETS IN THE GARBAGE (OR THE DRYER, where they belong!) ! AND YOU DO NOT HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE PAINT TO "CURE", NO !!

tenor.gif

There are posts on this thread going back about 10 years of New Gibson owners complaining about static with their Nitro finished guitars. The main fixes are usually shielding, time and anti static isolation materials..

This topic of "Static" pops up so frequently that Gibson should have a dedicated forum for it... New in-STRUM-ent owners should have a resource to go to specializing in static problems.........and Gibson should take it seriously.

New guitars with Polyurethane finishes do not have this problem...

There are posts on this thread going back about 10 years of New Gibson owners complaining about static with their Nitro finished guitars. The main fixes are usually shielding, time and anti static isolation materials..

This topic of "Static" pops up so frequently that Gibson should have a dedicated forum for it... New in-STRUM-ent owners should have a resource to go to specializing in static problems.........and Gibson should take it seriously.

New guitars with Polyurethane finishes do not have this problem...

😃

My post was in response to the "shouts" (caps) in some of the responses. However, folks need to be aware of nitro finishes in what to expect as well as the care of the finish, so I agree.

😃

My post was in response to the "shouts" (caps) in some of the responses. However, folks need to be aware of nitro finishes in what to expect as well as the care of the finish, so I agree.

Big Bill, Joey looks like he has a headache in that picture, and you should NOT as U R not actually hearing the CAPS, yes?

I did that because I really want to get the OP's attention, that problem with the static/popping is on just about every GIBSON USA Electric Guitar since GIBSON USA stopped using Shielding Paint, its an EZ fix, but not if you do not know about the fix to begin with....I am hoping the Guy see's my posts and takes the advice, its valid and I know it will cure the problem, without a doubt.

Archived