Gibson Brands Forums

Trouble w/ Installing Hot Rodded Seymour Duncans in Epiphone Les Paul Tribute

Patryk Mathieu

I've been having quite a lot of trouble with installing a hot rodded set of humbuckers (JB bridge and Jazz neck) into my 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Tribute. I ended up using the seymour duncan coil splitting diagram to see if that would work and now the tone down leaves the pickups sounding muffled (quiet and with a lack of treble) and then pulling the tone knob up boosts the volume, but only on the bridge (it makes no difference on the neck). I went over to Guitar Center to see if the pros over there would have any luck with telling me what the problem was but he ended up being just as lost as me and is contacting Epiphone on my behalf to see if he can figure out what the issue is and will keep me in the loop. In the meantime, I'm posting here to see if anybody can give me an answer sooner on how exactly these pickups should be wired in my guitar and/or what the source of my problem could be here.

At this point contacting Epiphone will do you no good, as you have removed their pickups. (The fact that GC suggested it shows their lever of expertise).

What pots are you using and what are their values? What capacitor is in it? What switch are you using? Is the pull-pot wired correctly based on the manufacturer?

Make sure you are using the proper color coding for the pickup wires as some have changed over time, and change with manufacturer.

I've been having quite a lot of trouble with installing a hot rodded set of humbuckers (JB bridge and Jazz neck) into my 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Tribute. I ended up using the seymour duncan coil splitting diagram to see if that would work and now the tone down leaves the pickups sounding muffled (quiet and with a lack of treble) and then pulling the tone knob up boosts the volume, but only on the bridge (it makes no difference on the neck). I went over to Guitar Center to see if the pros over there would have any luck with telling me what the problem was but he ended up being just as lost as me and is contacting Epiphone on my behalf to see if he can figure out what the issue is and will keep me in the loop. In the meantime, I'm posting here to see if anybody can give me an answer sooner on how exactly these pickups should be wired in my guitar and/or what the source of my problem could be here.

First of all if you are having trouble installing Duncan's you should contact Duncan, they should have a specific diagram for installing their pickups in your guitar. If your Tribute has push/pull pots for coil tapping your pickups need to have 4 wires and a bare ground. If your original pickups only had 2 wires and no push/pull pots you will need to connect the JB's pickup wires (if with 4 wires) in series.. Duncan wiring...

typical wiring for 4 wire pickups with coil tapping..

3-way-toggle-switch-guitar-wiring-diagram-lovely-guitarelectronics-guitar-wiring-diagram-2-humbuckers-3-way-of-3-way-toggle-switch-guitar-wiring-diagram.jpg

Archived