Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Signature noise problem

guitars123

Guys, when activate any distortion pedal with my Les Paul the amp has a noisy/buzzing sound , the guitar when plugged into the amp direct its fine, i have tried my other guitars with the same equipment i.e pedals , leads and they are all fine i have also used a boss ns2 still the same problem any ideas would be welcome

How much gain are you using on your pedals?

Pedal order, I've had some pedals that didn't like others in certain order.

Noisy pedal power supply.

Hi , its just any single overdrive or distortion pedal , i have tried battery power also same problem , its more so the bridge pickup , my ESP e2 horizon 3 is fine through the same equipment.

Hi , its just any single overdrive or distortion pedal , i have tried battery power also same problem , its more so the bridge pickup , my ESP e2 horizon 3 is fine through the same equipment.The gain is about half way to 3 quarters, i had a Seymour Duncan SH14 Custom 5 Humbucker fitted about 2 years ago it points to that possibly

If you are talking about a mid 70's Les Paul Signature/Les Paul Recording, it's the pickups. Them are some kinda weird low impedance thingy or other, probably loading the pedal with noise.

rct

If you are talking about a mid 70's Les Paul Signature/Les Paul Recording, it's the pickups. Them are some kinda weird low impedance thingy or other, probably loading the pedal with noise.

rct

[/quote

No its a 2012 model Gibson Les Paul Signature T

So the ESP is fine, but the Gibson isn't.

Let's eliminate one variable, and introduce another;

Clean out the jack-hole of the Gibson and the ESP with electrical contact cleaner.

I prefer DeOxit.

It's the stuff of life.

Then try it again.

Then, switch to another guitar cable entirely.

(The one from the guitar to the effects pedal.)

If you don't have another one, borrow one.

A quality cable.

After that experiment, is the outcome the same?

[unsure]

Guys, when activate any distortion pedal with my Les Paul the amp has a noisy/buzzing sound , the guitar when plugged into the amp direct its fine, i have tried my other guitars with the same equipment i.e pedals , leads and they are all fine i have also used a boss ns2 still the same problem any ideas would be welcome

Does this one have the internal boost? If so, is the buzz with it on and off?

Johnny

Actually it's a 2013 model year made in probably December 2012. It came with 57 Classic and 57 Classic Plus pickups stock.

I had one. It has the push pull pots. And the PCB. Your problem could be the PCB. I doubt it's the pickups as they are medium output.

Just a theory on my part, so if you bought it new and it's under warranty, Gibson should pay if it is an electrical type problem. I hope it works out for you!

Oh and this guitar has no stock internal boost.

-

EDIT: One more thought - is one or both pickups in single-coil mode when the buzzing happens, vs. humbucking mode?

-

Done some more investigation this morning (UK time) and discovered its the volume coil tap for the bridge pick up , pull it up and the noise is gone

Archived