Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Custom Shop LP '57 Junior (neck profile)

dava4444

Hi guys

If you've read any of my other posts you know.. I'm not a fan of modern Epi neck profiles, however that being said..

I LOVE the '57 Jr neck profile!

Is this what they call a 50's style neck? because it seemed to me very close to (what I've been calling) a 90s style neck profile..

I now have 3 guitars with this profile, my Gibson SG MM Hotrod, my 1998 SG-X (modified) and now the Epi LP Jr.

MAN if Epiphone made SG standards with this neck.. sign me up!

Not too 'troll-y' but.. every SEA Epi I've owned I've hated and couldn't wait to see the back of.. this one is a keeper!.. I'm going to hotrod it by putting a neck PU. Epi P100 (bridge) I bought off reverb.

-------

(A Friend gave this guitar for free because it had a cracked neck, I've since repaired it, but still need to smooth out with some glue/nail varnish and go to work some more with some polishing sand paper.. I'm close already with 30 hours sunk, but it could be better.)

here's a look for a nosey.. :)

sorh1g.jpg

29bgd8z.jpg

10rqnux.jpg

• 1 month later...

little update :)

15xwk9h.jpg

2r44s49.jpg

Neck pickup and three way are installed..

MAN I gotta say.. these Epi P100 are *thee* most excellent humcancelling P90s EVER.. to my ears they sound '1 = 1' to P90s without the hum.

Epiphone/Gibson should make these a regular part of Gibson gear.. but selling them at around £30/$45 a pop.

My ultra mini review: Fat but tight 50's D Dale (misirlou) style low end, crisp mids, complicated and subdued highs.. the Epiphone P100 is to my surprise; a high quality pickup, I never seen coming.

For refs:

(expensive) I like.. Dimarzios/Dimarziclones/Gibson 491T/ Fender wide range (or any of their dimarziclones).. not a great fan of Seymour Duncan for a long time.. but over the last 8 or so years, SD have been beginning to win me over.

(budget) Entwistle (I own lots of Aldens soo..) Antec Rails and any BL clones.. few chinese no-brands have been decent too.. the double pole Alnico 5 no name in my SG-X .. sounds pretty rockin'!

Clean.. the Epi P100s are OK..yeah just OK.. with Gain? OH FLIP WOW!! I mean it.. 100% P90 tone with 0% hum

I want to buy MOREEEE

--------

Wait a minute.. thats all three guitars with my favorite Gibson neck profile that had to get a neck pickup added.. :/

Why on Earth can't I just get an SG Standard (Epi or Gibson) with this neck profile :/ ?

Archived