Gibson Brands Forums

Would you try these strings?

livemusic

My 1956 Country Western is due for a string change. I bought some strings and have these to use on various guitars...

D R Rare

D R Sunbeam

Martin Authentic

Martin Lifespan

Elixir Nanoweb

D'Addario PB

Gibson Masterbilt

I like DR Rare on certain guitars, I wonder if I should try on the CW? I have been using Martin Lifespan on it and it sounds great. I dunno if it could sound bad with any string, but who knows. What would you try? Or any other string I should buy and try on it.

A lot of these have similar qualities, but after trying most I've settled on just two...Thomastic-Infeld and Dunlop 80/20's. I find the Dunlops close to DR's, just a little calmer and less bright at first. but long lived.

Try something you haven't used before. And keep notes on your impressions.

Slope-J's from that period really are individuals. Some benefit from warmth in the strings, others need brightness. For me, the Sunbeams have worked well on Gibson 'hog flat tops. But I like some zing in my strings when new, mellowing to warmth over time while still maintaining a bit of a bright edge in the trebles.

Surely a 1956 CW will sound good no matter what’s on it ?

There’s too much cork sniffing going on

Uh, do you deny that strings can/do influence tone and playability? Why not try something? I said the CW probably will sound good no matter what's on it but I also said I use Martin Lifespan. Would be interesting to try something else and I listed some I have in stock. Feedback from others is useful. Somebody might have a definite opinion and one can accept it or reject it but I do often try things suggested on forums. If I change strings, say, 4-6 times/yr on this guitar, alone, there is room for experimentation. It might be revealing.

If lifespans sound good to your ears the next choice for me is the DR Sunbeams. IMO, one of the best "under the radar" strings available. They will sound great right away...but there is a caveat-their longevity is short. But what a tone you get !msp_thumbup.gif Have fun...

If lifespans sound good to your ears the next choice for me is the DR Sunbeams. IMO, one of the best "under the radar" strings available. They will sound great right away...but there is a caveat-their longevity is short. But what a tone you get !msp_thumbup.gif Have fun...

I had a guitar tech recommend those strings as THE strings for my J45 Legend Limited. I do like them on it, so, I could def try them on the CW. I will eventually try Rare, as well. I tried the Gibson strings and there were fine but they didn't seem to last long.

On this guitar, there is only one tiny complaint about its sound and I don't even know how to explain it other than a slight 'buzzy' or more metallic sound on the e-string but I've had it checked out and they found nothing. I wish I could describe what I hear. I think it occurs only when plucked open, not fretted. I've often wondered if, by some miracle, a string would solve that.

I had a guitar tech recommend those strings as THE strings for my J45 Legend Limited. I do like them on it, so, I could def try them on the CW. I will eventually try Rare, as well. I tried the Gibson strings and there were fine but they didn't seem to last long.

On this guitar, there is only one tiny complaint about its sound and I don't even know how to explain it other than a slight 'buzzy' or more metallic sound on the e-string but I've had it checked out and they found nothing. I wish I could describe what I hear. I think it occurs only when plucked open, not fretted. I've often wondered if, by some miracle, a string would solve that.

Bill....dealt with this too! Found a slight bit of sanding the nut groove took out the imperfection that caused the buzz. Hope it works for youmsp_thumbup.gif

I have tried so many strings on my guitars...

So many are close enough I wouldn't be able to tell a difference.

I do know that trying these have led to different, yet each desirable, tone.

Hummingbird:

Gibson Masterbilt 80/20 lights

D'Addario Nickel Bronze lights

Martin Retro Lights

Gibson J50:

D'Addario Nickel Bronze lights

Martin SP PB Lights

Martin Authentic PB Treated Lights.

Martin Lifespan PB Lights

Elixir PB Lights

Martin D18:

D'Addario Nickel Bronze Lights

Martin SP PB Lights

Martin Authentic PB Treated Lights.

Martin Lifespan PB Lights

Elixir PB Lights

Gibson J-45 Mahogany:

Martin Authentic PB Treated Lights

Elixir PB HDs (has a 13 high e string)

I currently have Elixir PBs on the J50, J45-Mahogany, and D18, and I really like them. I know that may be counter to conventional wisdom. Guitar forums seem to not like Elixirs (maybe?). I also have tried DR Rares, Sunbeams, Curt Mangan... the list goes on. Sunbeams do feel nice.

Bill....dealt with this too! Found a slight bit of sanding the nut groove took out the imperfection that caused the buzz. Hope it works for youmsp_thumbup.gif

Thanks much for your tip! Yesterday, I went ahead and put Rare strings on the CW and when I stretched the e-string, I broke it! I may stop stretching strings! I found that I had a brand new D'Addario e-string (12) and put it on to replace. Wouldn't you know it, the buzz/metallic sound on the e-string went away! Ah, heaven! I knew dang well I heard something but even at the world-class repair shop in Nashville, the tech didn't hear it. I sure did.

Thanks much for your tip! Yesterday, I went ahead and put Rare strings on the CW and when I stretched the e-string, I broke it! I may stop stretching strings! I found that I had a brand new D'Addario e-string (12) and put it on to replace. Wouldn't you know it, the buzz/metallic sound on the e-string went away! Ah, heaven! I knew dang well I heard something but even at the world-class repair shop in Nashville, the tech didn't hear it. I sure did.

Magic...eusa_clap.gif

Glad the issue with the E is sorted!!

Personally I mainly use D'Addario EXPs on most of my guitars, with some variations as follows:

D'Addario EXP 12-53 80/20:

2015 SJ200

1941 Reissue SJ100

1967 J45

1990 Hummingbird

D'Addario EXP 13-56 PB:

2016 Custom Shop Maple AJ Ltd

Martin SP 12-54 80/20:

2014 Custom Shop J180 Ltd

Ernie Ball Earthwood 10-50 12 string:

2005 Custom Shop Hummingbird 12

I absolutely love the tone, feel and longevity of the EXPs. Great live or in the studio and immensely reliable. They feel and sound like uncoated strings but last much longer.

Try something you haven't used before. And keep notes on your impressions.

Slope-J's from that period really are individuals. Some benefit from warmth in the strings, others need brightness. For me, the Sunbeams have worked well on Gibson 'hog flat tops. But I like some zing in my strings when new, mellowing to warmth over time while still maintaining a bit of a bright edge in the trebles.

You have played that guitar before pal. I always liked the way it sounded with Martin SP 11-54

Hey Bill, are you saying there was a 'nub' or something on the saddle that you removed?

Dave

Uh, Dave, unsure what you are referring to. I don't think I've said anything like that. I think Vacamartin mentioned filing the nut slot.

I just played this guitar again and, it is still playing perfectly. This has been a really weird thing... I have endured this frustrating sound for years now. And as I said, was a bit put off that the high end guitar shop guitar tech did not hear what I heard. It was subtle but grating. It sure didn't keep me from playing it! Now, this offending sound occurred on 'quiet' songs. If you were strumming away, no problem. I will give the guitar tech the benefit of the doubt in that I have high frequency hearing loss, so, I guess I 'heard' something that was impossible for him to hear. I do know that there are certain sounds someone will point out and I absolutely cannot hear it, it does not exist to my ears. Whatever, I hope this gremlin stays away!

I see Ol' Fred posted in this thread. Hi Fred, it is nice to see your name, I been meaning to ask about you anyway and here you are!

I guess when you thanked him for the tip and then mentioned the buzz was gone I put two and two together. Like with the rest of my life I came up with the answer 5.

Don't feel all alone. I did the same thing.

I have a similar buzz on the B and high E strings on my "new" 1950 J-45. I suspect the nut, but am probably not going to touch anything until the neck gets re-set.

I guess when you thanked him for the tip and then mentioned the buzz was gone I put two and two together. Like with the rest of my life I came up with the answer 5.

LOL! No, I didn't do anything other than change the string! Well, changed it, broke it, installed the other one.

Archived