Gibson Brands Forums

Probably nothing

Pinch

I've noticed that when one pickup is on ten, and you roll the volume up from zero on the other pickup (pickup switch in middle position), it comes in with a bit of a crackle rather than super smooth.

No crackle on R or T positions on their own. No crackle if one pickup is on, say, 7 or below and you start the other one from zero and turn it up.

It's at the VERY point where the volume from the one pickup that's already on ten starts blending with the pickup that you turn up from zero... And they're Dirty Fingers, so the one that's on ten is obviously loud.

I'm assuming this is normal?

Okay, so the problem is with the treble volume pot, but only when the pickup switch is in the middle position. Works great except for the crackling between 0-1 and cutting in too sharply.

The toggle switch? Contact cleaner? 2017 guitar, so hopefully not the PCB circuit board.

Likely to get worse? I can live with the crackle for the time being because I need this guitar at the moment, but it can't get worse or fail.

F--k.

Okay, so the problem is with the treble volume pot, but only when the pickup switch is in the middle position. Works great except for the crackling between 0-1 and cutting in too sharply.

The toggle switch? Contact cleaner? 2017 guitar, so hopefully not the PCB circuit board.

Likely to get worse? I can live with the crackle for the time being because I need this guitar at the moment, but it can't get worse or fail.

F--k.

Contact cleaner will be your fix. Everything you said seems to point to this being the culprit. Potentiometers are mechanical devices and they are prone to wear-and-tear. In this case, the wiper is making contact with some debris on the "track" as I call it, and when the wiper of the pot encounters this debris as it turns and the signal is amplified, you get that scratchy sound you described. Spray some ELECTRONICS GRADE contact cleaner in the pot through a housing opening and afterwards, spin the shaft back and forth quite a few times to make sure that the track is cleared. The scratches should go away 100%.

Contact cleaner will be your fix. Everything you said seems to point to this being the culprit. Potentiometers are mechanical devices and they are prone to wear-and-tear. In this case, the wiper is making contact with some debris on the "track" as I call it, and when the wiper of the pot encounters this debris as it turns and the signal is amplified, you get that scratchy sound you described. Spray some ELECTRONICS GRADE contact cleaner in the pot through a housing opening and afterwards, spin the shaft back and forth quite a few times to make sure that the track is cleared. The scratches should go away 100%.

The pots don't sound scratchy at all as long as the toggle switch is in either the R or T position. The crackle ONLY appears with the toggle switch in middle position, so the pots can't be the culprits. Should be either the switch or the circuit board. Hopefully the switch!

I'll try contact cleaner. Thanks.

Archived