Gibson Brands Forums

Ut Oh!

drathbun

Wonder why the underbelly bridge is so large. (Also, where is the pickguard? Or is it clear? I use a thumb and finger picks, I like a pickguard on a guitar.) Plus, obviously they do not have Gibson’s skill to make a sunburst. Otherwise, copying is a form of flattery, I guess.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Wonder why the underbelly bridge is so large. (Also, where is the pickguard? Or is it clear? I use a thumb and finger picks, I like a pickguard on a guitar.) Plus, obviously they do not have Gibson’s skill to make a sunburst. Otherwise, copying is a form of flattery, I guess.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

I agree, Jeff. Although Taylor doesn't do as bad a job with their bursts as Martin does (what's up with that??).

However, I expect that this will be an entirely different animal regardless of its visual similarity to Gibson slope shouldered guitars. Taylor is using Andy's new V style bracing on the new body style. I think this will make it sound quite a bit different than a J45. I like this part in the description...

"Drawing inspiration from traditional acoustic music..."

I wonder what the tradition is of which they speak?

It doesn't look like there is a pickguard at all. My old Taylor GA3-12 was made without a pickguard but I put a regular Taylor style guard on it immediately. Since you can get those guards right off the Taylor webstore, it is an easy upgrade for anyone interested.

I know my local L&M will be one of the first retailers to get one of these puppies and I'll be anxious to try it out and report back here. :) I'll be watching the videos coming from NAMM this week for the announcement and demos of this new model from Taylor.

Before I ever bought a Gibson slope, I loved slopes. My first one was a Martin CEO4r... a long scale Martin Rosewood slope mud bath complete with a fretboard made of recycled tires. Every time I played it I thought of tires squealing and mud.

I bet the Taylor is better than the Martin.

However, while the children play with blocks in different shapes, the masters in Bozeman shall enjoy their beer, and create excellence and originality, and warn in a low drawl “back off man... you are fogging my tooth”

Except for the green one.

PS... buy what you like... your money. I am having a little fun, and actually think Taylor puts out a nice guitar for playing melodic hymns in church while wearing Lands End clothing.

Man I'm ornery today!

Please don’t take offense if you own a Taylor. They are fine...

If they do to this new model what they've done the the 614 maple, there ain't nothing to worry about. I finally got to try that V-Class version of my Maple beloved. And no. That is my first response. It does play decently and all, buy I would not have grabbed this off the wall three (almost 4 years, now) years ago when looking for the tone I was after.

Before I ever bought a Gibson slope, I loved slopes. My first one was a Martin CEO4r... a long scale Martin Rosewood slope mud bath complete with a fretboard made of recycled tires. Every time I played it I thought of tires squealing and mud.

I bet the Taylor is better than the Martin.

However, while the children play with blocks in different shapes, the masters in Bozeman shall enjoy their beer, and create excellence and originality, and warn in a low drawl “back off man... you are fogging my tooth”

Except for the green one.

PS... buy what you like... your money. I am having a little fun, and actually think Taylor puts out a nice guitar for playing melodic hymns in church while wearing Lands End clothing.

Man I'm ornery today!

Please don’t take offense if you own a Taylor. They are fine...

Usually em7 wins my little competition of best post of the month

But you get the award this time Sal

That was poetry

On AGF someone posted an Alamo Music demo of the guitars. The demo is extremely well done and representative. The guitars sound modern, and all Taylor. To quote EA from an unrelated thread, no guts. They lack growl and they lack bass.

There is one area that these V-Series will shine, though. The studio. The 2016 314E I had was awful. The 2015 614E I still have does do very well for tracking flat picking heavy melodic content, but fails like the 314 beyond the very lightest of strums (again - for tracking).

Every V-Series I've heard and/or played sounded like it would track very well even heavily strummed. I'm sure I will get one someday for the studio as I am a practicing hobbyist, but I seriously doubt it would make the regular playing rotation for casual playing. Not while I have a 2015 614 and my two Gibsons to choose from.

One possible caveat to that statement. Perhaps the early non-V-Class models will do better in a much bigger studio room. The type of pushed mids tone like with the 314's bite/growl would still be in play, though. It is what it is.

For anyone tempted...

There is a mint pristine 2007 J45 True Vintage on reverb for $2200.

My God that should be bought.

Oh my!!!!!! [scared]

Well, I have to wait anyhow. Too much recent $$ damage done via this hobby in the past 12 months.

<insert sigh>

True Vintage models for just a few hundred more than the standard models are going for is a great price, Sal. I hope someone here snags it.

Archived