Gibson Brands Forums

J100

WarmingtonJohn

Hi

I'm in England and just bought my first Gibson - it's a J100

What gauge strings do mat people use - I'm quite a heavy player - strings NOT body haha

Also what do you old Gibson strummers use for Pick Ups - I have Baggs Anthem fitted and am quite happy

Thoughts ?

Cheers

John

Usually jumbo acoustics sound better with medium to heavy ga. and smaller acoustics use smaller ga. Heavy strumming would probably be best with heavy gauge strings, .014-.o59 But it all depends on your playing style, Strumming or fingerpicking and so many factors involved. I've experimented and still do with string gauges but on my electrics. My Acoustic is an Ovation and I use either 10's or 11's. But Jumbos get better tone with heavier strings. It all depends if you love bending strings or not too or just heavy strumming. Good luck. Oh, My Gibson GT Stan. has Alnico's in it and are factory. I have 2 Epiphones, one with Alnico's and one with Burst Buckers. Both are factory and I love the Burst Buckers.

I use 12s.. I'm not manly enough for 13s... !HA!

my SJ200 had an Anthem, I liked how the pickup sounded BUT!!!! - after about 6 months, the control modules (the volume/tone control) loosened up to the degree that any open string (D, A, what ever) and that module would rattle like a 1965 Chevy van. Seriously, it drove me nearly insane. I ripped it out, had LR Baggs replace the control module with a new one, and immediately sold it on eBay. I put a Fishman infinity Matrix in as the replacement, didn't look back.

(granted it didn't sound quite as pure as the anthem, but trust me, if you heard what I was hearing, you wouldn't care either)

I wish you better luck your your Anthem then I had.

Archived