Gibson Brands Forums: 2018 ES-335 Dot - Gibson Brands Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2018 ES-335 Dot

#1 User is offline   Jay13 

  • Newbie
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 29-January 19

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:45 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm new here but not new to playing Gibby's.

I bought a 335 Dot from Guitar Center and picked it up last night. After waiting 15 minutes to bring it out and unbox it, I looked for cosmetic flaws and chips not realizing that the label imsode the cavity wasn't there. No glue residue or darkend spot where the label should be.

Anyone else ever have this happen? It was sold as new.

Jay
0

#2 User is offline   Larsongs 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 604
  • Joined: 16-July 14

Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:04 AM

I'd return it & get another... Make sure it comes with all Documentation & in perfect condition...
0

#3 User is offline   Cougar 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 3172
  • Joined: 14-December 12
  • LocationThe Wild West

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:11 AM

View PostLarsongs, on 30 January 2019 - 12:04 AM, said:

I'd return it & get another...

I agree. GC's return policy is no problem.

  • 2018 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe 12-string rosewood burst
  • 2011 Guild F50R burst
  • 2002 Guild JF30-12 burst
  • 2014 Martin GPC12PA4 12-string
  • 2012 Epiphone Lennon EJ-160E VS
  • 1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string burst
  • 2012 Epiphone Dot trans cherry
  • 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber
  • Yamaha Motif XS7
0

#4 User is offline   gnappi 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 353
  • Joined: 07-November 12
  • LocationSoutheast Florida (USA)

Posted 30 January 2019 - 01:27 PM

The problem is if you bring it back the replacement may be worse so if it plays and sounds OK, I'd ask the seller to have Gibson make a new label for it. If they can't / won't do that, I'd get a refund and keep shopping.

I bought a 2019 ES-275 (the semi version) and it was abysmal. The binding in the cutaway wasn't scraped right, and it was painted over, the body at the end of the neck between the neck pup showed white wood where there was no finish, the pup poles were misaligned, and volume imbalanced. Even by setting the bridge pup nearly touching the strings the bridge pup volume was too low. I have MHS pups in my LP-ES and they have no such problem.

The selling company asked me to hold on to it for a month while they waited for another to come in to replace it with. Well their incoming inspector determined the new replacement was WORSE than the one I received. They just about BEGGED me to accept the one I received and take a discount... nope it went back.








Regards,

Gary
0

#5 User is offline   Larsongs 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 604
  • Joined: 16-July 14

Posted 30 January 2019 - 01:50 PM

View Postgnappi, on 30 January 2019 - 01:27 PM, said:

The problem is if you bring it back the replacement may be worse so if it plays and sounds OK, I'd ask the seller to have Gibson make a new label for it. If they can't / won't do that, I'd get a refund and keep shopping.

I bought a 2019 ES-275 (the semi version) and it was abysmal. The binding in the cutaway wasn't scraped right, and it was painted over, the body at the end of the neck between the neck pup showed white wood where there was no finish, the pup poles were misaligned, and volume imbalanced. Even by setting the bridge pup nearly touching the strings the bridge pup volume was too low. I have MHS pups in my LP-ES and they have no such problem.

The selling company asked me to hold on to it for a month while they waited for another to come in to replace it with. Well their incoming inspector determined the new replacement was WORSE than the one I received. They just about BEGGED me to accept the one I received and take a discount... nope it went back.


I bought a new Les Paul that had an extra hole in the Headstock that had been poorly filled & painted... I returned it for another & it was flawless...

If it ain't perfect why would you want to keep it & have to through hoops?
0

#6 User is offline   gnappi 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 353
  • Joined: 07-November 12
  • LocationSoutheast Florida (USA)

Posted 30 January 2019 - 11:07 PM

View PostLarsongs, on 30 January 2019 - 01:50 PM, said:

I bought a new Les Paul that had an extra hole in the Headstock that had been poorly filled & painted... I returned it for another & it was flawless...

If it ain't perfect why would you want to keep it & have to through hoops?


For a label? I don't think that is jumping through hoops, but considering my terrible luck with new Gibsons lately, at the very least ASK for Gibson to send a label.





Regards,

Gary
0

#7 User is offline   Larsongs 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 604
  • Joined: 16-July 14

Posted 31 January 2019 - 12:05 AM

View Postgnappi, on 30 January 2019 - 11:07 PM, said:

For a label? I don't think that is jumping through hoops, but considering my terrible luck with new Gibsons lately, at the very least ASK for Gibson to send a label.


Wait til we hear the story about what it took to get the Label!

Then he has to deal with why it wasn't on the guitar. And, if questioned in the future should he try to sell it, can he really prove it's not a knock with phony Paperwork? Lots of them around these says...

Nope! I'd want another one!
0

#8 User is offline   Hall 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 3081
  • Joined: 01-January 08
  • LocationRabbit Hash, Ky.

Posted 31 January 2019 - 12:57 PM

Yea, another one.
"The empty vessel makes the loudest sound." w.s.
0

#9 User is offline   Jay13 

  • Newbie
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 29-January 19

Posted 01 February 2019 - 07:01 PM

The result...

Talked to Gibson, sent @50 pics, the factory was able to authenticate and they are sending me a label.

It's real, I'll have all the documentation to prove it is real, I'm keeping it.

I'm glad that Gibson verified the guitar. GC wouldn't bring another to my local store without me spending another $2k (wouldn't be able to take this one back until the weekend).

So everything is good...

Thankfully.

Jay
0

#10 User is offline   gnappi 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 353
  • Joined: 07-November 12
  • LocationSoutheast Florida (USA)

Posted 02 February 2019 - 05:20 AM

View PostJay13, on 01 February 2019 - 07:01 PM, said:

The result...

Talked to Gibson, sent @50 pics, the factory was able to authenticate and they are sending me a label.

It's real, I'll have all the documentation to prove it is real, I'm keeping it.

I'm glad that Gibson verified the guitar. GC wouldn't bring another to my local store without me spending another $2k (wouldn't be able to take this one back until the weekend).

So everything is good...

Thankfully.

Jay


What you did was Faaarrrr better than running the risk of getting one that wasn't as good as what you got. Good on you, AND you didn't have to jump through hoops!



Regards,

Gary
0

#11 User is offline   Larsongs 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 604
  • Joined: 16-July 14

Posted 02 February 2019 - 10:24 AM

View Postgnappi, on 02 February 2019 - 05:20 AM, said:

What you did was Faaarrrr better than running the risk of getting one that wasn't as good as what you got. Good on you, AND you didn't have to jump through hoops!


Good luck......
0

#12 User is offline   Hall 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 3081
  • Joined: 01-January 08
  • LocationRabbit Hash, Ky.

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:09 PM

Well done, Jay13! *You were thinking; I was not doing so. [thumbup]
"The empty vessel makes the loudest sound." w.s.
0

#13 User is offline   Twang Gang 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 1419
  • Joined: 26-November 12
  • LocationLake Keowee, SC

Posted 11 February 2019 - 05:03 PM

It happens - not every ES always has a sticker inside. I bought a $5K CS356 and it doesn't have a sticker, it doesn't bother me. The guitar is flawless, plays and sounds great and it came with an embossed COA in a fancy leather sleeve.

Glad you got a sticker cause that seemed important to you. Now all you have to do is wiggle it through the F-hole and glue it in, without and bubbles or creases, so it doesn't look fake. :unsure:
2017 Custom Shop 356 Mahogany/Maple Antique Natural
2017 Les Paul Standard T Honeyburst
2013 L5-CES Natural (Maple/Spruce)
2013 Les Paul Custom Lite (Mahogany/Maple) Ebony
2007 Taylor Solid Body Custom (Sapele/Walnut)
2018 Taylor 814 CE DLX (Rosewood/Spruce)
1981 Ovation Balladeer
1963 Walthari Mittenwald Classical
Rivera Venus 6 (1 X 12)Combo
Blackstar HT-5R (1 X 10) Combo
AER Compact 60-2
0

#14 User is offline   gnappi 

  • Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • Posts: 353
  • Joined: 07-November 12
  • LocationSoutheast Florida (USA)

Posted 19 February 2019 - 05:55 AM

With juvenile ninny buyers picking out the most minuscule BS on gits for sale looking for deep discounts the OP did right getting a label. It's one less thing for morons to pick up on.




Regards,

Gary
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users