Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J-35 Discontinued ...Your thoughts

The G

They will discontinue this model for a year then it will resurface again. And they will make 20 versions of it like everything else so far. It would be cool to see some versions of these guitars with the painted logos on the headstocks. And close to original bursts. Just my thoughts.

I liked the J35 and had planned on owning one, but then along came my Maple AJ, and between that and my '67 J45 the slope side of things is sewn up.

I like the J35 a lot...very direct, dry and punchy. Less rich and dark than a J45. Rather like milk chocolate Vs dark chocolate. Both are delicious, but discernably different.

Maybe it will be like the J-50? It comes and goes every so often. The modern classic version was around until 2014 IIRC. And after that (2016?) they did some kind of limited run "antique natural" that was quite expensive.

Actually Boyd, there was a 2015 J-50. I believe it was limited to a run of 75. Last year, I bought one that was a NOS instrument (and absolutely love it!).

Then in 2016, Gibson released a VOS version of the J-50, which AFAIK was still around in 2017.

Really enjoying my J-35 . I prefer the sound with strings that have been used a bit. 45-60 mins of playing or so. I’m also quite impressed with the wonderful projection obtained while finger picking,and crosspicking . [thumbup]

Really enjoying my J-35 . I prefer the sound with strings that have been used a bit. 45-60 mins of playing or so. I’m also quite impressed with the wonderful projection obtained while finger picking,and crosspicking . [thumbup]

Went for a visit to my local Long & McQuade today and they had a used 2015 model . What jumped out at me was how nicely the spruce top has aged with a noticeable darker patina .Strings were deader than door nails but it played well and still sounded pretty good.

Edited by The G

Im surprised its been discountinued. While not a fan of it it did introduce A LOT of people to Gibson. In marketing pentration, acquisiton of new customers is by far the most effective way to grow a business. However they are now introducing so many lower priced models that its getting somewhat congested in the product line in that price range.

Im not sure how the 'studio' models that were release last year will fare, but the previous year those entry level models, which i cant even remember names of looked and sounded utterly dreadful.

Funny enough I’ve owned a Standard J-45, a vintage J-45, a Southern Jumbo, and an Advanced Jumbo, and this J-35 I picked up is ticking all the right boxes for me . Every guitar mentioned had its qualities but as fate would have it I’m down to one Gibson and very happy with it .

I thought the J-35 was an exceptional value, given both the construction and the period-correct details.

However, with two 1950 J-45's and a 1943 re-issue SJ in the stable, I've probably got the Gibson 'hog slope-J spectrum covered pretty well.

I suspect the J-35 was a loss leader for Gibson, and ended up eating into the J-45 standard market in a serious manner, since it was a lot less money for what is essentially the same guitar except for a few cosmetic things.

I thought the J-35 was an exceptional value, given both the construction and the period-correct details.

However, with two 1950 J-45's and a 1943 re-issue SJ in the stable, I've probably got the Gibson 'hog slope-J spectrum covered pretty well.

I suspect the J-35 was a loss leader for Gibson, and ended up eating into the J-45 standard market in a serious manner, since it was a lot less money for what is essentially the same guitar except for a few cosmetic things.

Very much agree with your last paragraph.

To me it looks to have features of a student model and if I were 16 and had $1000 to buy an acoustic this summer I’d play one to see if I liked it beforw judging .

JC

Re: J-15's

There is nothing wrong with J-15's, they are brilliant guitars and hold up against some of the higher priced models. I'm 35 years old (not 16) and bought one a couple of years back. Acoustic wise I also own a J-185 and a Dove and the J-15 is up there with both of them. I bought the J-15 last by the way.

Edited by cody78

• 4 weeks later...

I like Monel lights on my '14 J35. It is strung with EJ19 Bluegrass strings right now, and they really bring out the low end. I have owned a J45, J45TV, AJ, and J15. The J35 is the best of the short scales. Pulling the pickup out and installing a new bone saddle made a big difference in tone in both my J15 and J35.

I just wish the J35 had wider nut, and subsequent string spacing. I will be selling it soon in the hope of finding a Fuller's J35 or J35 Collector's Edition.

Edited by Zissou Intern

Anybody try Monel strings on their J-35’s? At least Those that feel the guitar actually lives up to Gibson’s standards. :rolleyes:

Been using them on my J-35 since last summer. Love them. They take a day or two to settle in, but boy howdy, once they do, I really love the tone, volume and feel.

Been using them on my J-35 since last summer. Love them. They take a day or two to settle in, but boy howdy, once they do, I really love the tone, volume and feel.

Finally put some Monels on my J-35. Martin Retro light gauge.

Day two and my impressions are very favourable. Nice percussive woody sound while still maintaining good note separation .

So, Phosphor Bronze were good. 80-20’s died way too soon . ( IMO) We’ll see how these Monel’s sound and feel after prolonged use.

I just sold my '14 J35 and will be buying a J35 Fuller's next week. My 2014 was very much up to the Gibson standards in tone and workmanship. I only sold it to get to a larger profile neck with a wider nut width.

My preferred string set on this slope shoulder was Martin Monel light gauge. I also liked DR Rare Bluegrass 12-56, especially after they were old and going dead and starting to get thumpy.

• 1 month later...
On 1/31/2019 at 3:25 AM, IanHenry said:

I thought the J-15 had been axed, at least I haven't found it on their new website. There's very little difference between a J-15 and a J-45 Studio so there wouldn't be a lot of point in making both.

Ian

I disagree. They look very similar but are worlds apart tone wise. The 45 studio is a slim body and, to my ears, lacks depth and bottom end. The J15 growls and has better feel, clarity, twang and low end. 

Disclaimer: I don’t normally enjoy the sound of slim bodied acoustics. 

I didn’t realize the 15 was discontinued. I noticed it’s not listed for 2019 on gibsons site, but mine is a 2019 model LOL. Not sure how to explain that one. 

I play Martin PB12s on mine and it sounds phenomenal. 

• 2 years later...
On 1/31/2019 at 12:42 AM, The G said:

Sad to hear Gibson has discontinued this model.

The craftsmanship on mine is fabulous. Beautifully silked spruce top and gorgeous mahogany back and sides. Great looking rosewood used on the neck and

bridge . And ....awesome sound and projection ( Subjective I know)

So my theory is they priced the instrument too low in their product line and weren’t making enough markup. [glare]

What are your thoughts?

I was sorry to see it go too. I bought mine in 2014, awesome sound and feel. I have to agree with you that the markup wasn't high enough and they weren't able to get it where they needed without cannibalizing other models.

• 1 year later...

Having owned a vintage, blonde (natural) 1941 J-35, I can attest to it projecting like a cannon with rich goodness. My instrument was built before the material and labor shortage of WWII affected instrument builders.    I read Martin’s D-18 was a response to the J-35. A friend of mine has a 1942 Martin D-18.  Both are impressive instruments.  

Edited by 35owner
Typo
  • Like 2