Gibson Brands Forums

FT-110N

Madboy76

Is it an Epiphone FT110N Frontier? Or, just a FT110N. The original Epiphone Company (before it was bought by Gibson) made a FT110N. When Gibson bought Epiphone, circa 1958, they renamed it the Epiphone FT110N Frontier. FT110 Frontier’s were discontinued in 1970. Based on the looks of your guitar, it looks to me like it is the 1962 year model that you mention the serial number corresponds to, if it says Made in Kalamazoo, Michigan. But, it does look like the bridge is a replacement bridge if it’s a 1962 and it’s pickguard doesn’t seem to be the lengthy Frontier pickguard, so that might also be a replacement, although there were some years where a teardrop pickguard was standard. The front or back finish also seems to have possibly been modified??? The neck certainly looks standard stock Gibson-Epiphone from 1962’s era. It does not at all resemble an early 70s imported neck as the end of the neck by the body is straight (and the early 70s Japan made Epiphone neck ends always were not straight, but were rounded.)

Just my take on the guitar.

Interesting guitar. Where did you get it from? When?

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

It is a frontier. I don't believe it ever has had a pickguard on it. The surface refinishing was done a few years ago as somebody had scratched it. My father bought this guitar in Illinois in a guitar shop in the mid-to-late 70s. It was used then.

Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately, I am not up very much on which tuners were used and when. Hopefully, someone else can answer your tuners question.

Looks like you have an interesting Kalamazoo made Epiphone with a bit of history to it. Sounds like your father did the right thing for you by buying it in the 70s.

How does it sound?

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Unfortunately, I am not up very much on which tuners were used and when. Hopefully, someone else can answer your tuners question.

Looks like you have an interesting Kalamazoo made Epiphone with a bit of history to it. Sounds like your father did the right thing for you by buying it in the 70s.

How does it sound?

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Some players like the 60s neck, some do not. I personally like it, although when I switch from one of my guitars with a wider neck to one with a 60s neck, the first day of playing the thinner 60s neck is a bit shocking, but then after a day I am used to it and find I like it a lot. A lot of it all is just getting used to what one is playing. Same thing when I switch between short scale and long scale necks, at first, without being accustomed to either, it feels a little strange, but that quickly goes away for me.

Just my experience.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

If the same tuners were used on Epis as Gibson in the early to mid-1960s, the originals would be single line enclosed Kluson strip tuners. More than likely the guitars would have originally had tulip tuners.

Archived