Gibson Brands Forums

LP standard what?

Kingkudzu1

Hello everybody! I am retired vet who has been playing for about fifty years. The aggregated tools of my trade (2003 Les Paul Standard, Gibson 335 2003DOT Memphis, Gibson Custom Shop L7?, Cabot Acoustic, have finally come into focus and I WAS trying to sell my Les Paul Ambertop beauty for medical expenses till I was insulted, denigrated and basically verbally abused how I didn't' know what I had...I didn't and still don't. The Gibson folks emailed me that my model number was LP6+TANH1. I have searched and read until I am blue in the face but cannot decipher this. I just want to keep it now until I figure out exactly what I have. I do have grandchildren who look like they will stick with it.

Oh well...Thanks if you got this far. I love the site as I am learning so much.

Peace-

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If you've been trying the code everywhere you can think of on the internet until you are blue in the face I doubt we could do any better.

Post some pictures of your guitar in this thread; there are a great many knowledgeable and helpful people here who would be delighted to help you.

General shots front and back, of course, then anything which might indicate which specific model you have. Bridge; tailpiece; front of headstock; rear of headstock; fingerboard inlays; pickup selector switch; pickguard; anything written in the body of the pickup cavities; serial number doesn't help much but we'd still like to see it. If you need to blank out the last few digits then that's probably OK.

You will need to use a picture hosting site. I use postimage.org. It's free, quick to set-up and very easy to use.

Any queries don't hesitate to ask.

Pip.

Please do everything that Pippy advises.

He's a very wise man.

But don't blank out any digits of the serial number.

Nobody's going to steal your guitar's identity from viewing the serial number.

There's no point in it.

With good quality photos, and a solid serial number, the brain-trust on this web forum can tell you exactly what you have, how old it is, and what it's worth.

:)

Damn our hopeless inadequacy [unsure]

msp_laugh.gif

The comment was intended to be ever-so-slightly tongue-in-cheek...

I couldn't get the '6', though. I thought it might have been a mis-print. Didn't even cross my mind to consider the '50s and '60s neck designations.....eusa_wall.gif......"Must Do Better!".

Thankfully there are many folks here much smarter than myself and the mystery was solved speedily!

Pip.

LP6+TANH1

LP = Les Paul, 6 = 60’s Neck profile, += Plus Top, TA = Trans Amber, NH = Nickel Hardware and 1 = not a second (not a b stock) a number 2 would be a second or b stock

I think

If the character "+" = Plus Top, that's new. Mine, and any others I ever saw, was LPCP, Les Paul Classic Plus.

There is no need for an indicator of Not A Second. They used to use a large '2' under the serial number to indicate the guitar was returned, repaired, and was being retailed for the second time. That practice has diminished a lot over the last two decades, and it might be a good guess that they don't do that anymore. These were faulty switches, wonky tuners, crappy pots. That work has, I believe, been pushed out to the dealers as much as possible. B Stock is, or was I should say, at the discretion of the Authorized Dealers, a guitar from the company that was not readily, cheaply fixable, like paint problems or binding troubles, sold 'as is'.

That's my memory of how these guys do it. Did it maybe.

rct

What I found to be most surprising was the lack of a letter for a particular model designation in the code - hence my thought that the '6' was a mis-print.

I would have expected to see an extra letter between the P and the 6(*) - in this case an 'S' for 'Standard'.

In which case should the model code not be LPS6+TANH1 for "Les Paul Standard '60s Plus-top Trans Amber Nickel Hardware 1"?.

eusa_think.gif

Pip.

(*) Not that I expected to see the 6 at all!

What I found to be most surprising was the lack of a letter for a particular model designation in the code - hence my thought that the '6' was a mis-print.

I would have expected to see an extra letter between the P and the 6(*) - in this case an 'S' for 'Standard'.

In which case should the model code not be LPS6+TANH1 for "Les Paul Standard '60s Plus-top Trans Amber Nickel Hardware 1"?.

eusa_think.gif

Pip.

(*) Not that I expected to see the 6 at all!

All I can think of is that some years I know they have done both a 60s and 50s neck options on the same model.. So they would have to put down 5 or 6 for the neck profile?

All I can think of is that some years I know they have done both a 60s and 50s neck options on the same model.. So they would have to put down 5 or 6 for the neck profile?

Yes, I'm sure it must be something like that, Rabs. But even so I'd have expected a model ID letter as well. Weren't '50s and '60s versions of different models made in the same year such as Standards, Tributes, Traditionals etc? How would they be known one from the other? Perhaps no identifying letter signifies a Standard in some years?

eusa_think.gif

But hey; I don't suppose it's that important as long as Gibson knows!

Pip.

Yes, I'm sure it must be something like that, Rabs. But even so I'd have expected a model ID letter as well. Weren't '50s and '60s versions of different models made in the same year such as Standards, Tributes, Traditionals etc? How would they be known one from the other? Perhaps no identifying letter signifies a Standard in some years?

eusa_think.gif

But hey; I don't suppose it's that important as long as Gibson knows!

Pip.

I donno.. I think its one of those things that they aren't very consistent with.

I have a 60s tribute which should in theory have a 6 in there. But it will require me taking the strings off and I cant be arsed at the moment.. I don't think its that important :)

In saying that I went and had a look to see if I had any pictures.. I found two of my 2010 Standard.. Oddly the colour code is in the neck and the rest in the bridge? Weirdos :)

o50mu9y.jpg

C4Ko2tc.jpg

I have a 60s tribute which should in theory have a 6 in there. But it will require me taking the strings off and I cant be arsed at the moment...

Interesting to see you have almost the full product code written-down on your instrument. Perhaps that was introduced at some point after mine were made?......eusa_think.gif......

The fancier of my 1960 Classics has HB (Honey Burst) in the neck cavity and LPPP (Les Paul Premium Plus) in the bridge cavity.

My 'Plain-Top' 1960 Classic just has VSB (No Prizes) in the neck cavity and, simply, the date of manufacture rubber-stamped in the bridge one.

Neither my R9 nor the R0 has anything other than finish code.

I'd be interested to know what other members have written in their p'up cavities; we don't really talk about this much.

Not exactly edge-of-the-seat stuff, I know, but strangely interesting nonetheless!

Thanks for posting those snaps, Rabs!

msp_thumbup.gif

Pip.

EDIT : Your 2010 Standard has a long neck tenon. Is that usual on a post-20?? Standard?

eusa_think.gif

Pip.

EDIT : Your 2010 Standard has a long neck tenon. Is that usual on a post-20?? Standard?

eusa_think.gif

Haha. you know what.. I have completely confused myself on this one. I just went and had a look at the back of the head and actually its a 2011.. BUT and this is where it gets a bit sketchy.. I remember when I bought it being told it was actually a 2008 model that had been on back order for a while even though it was made in 2011..

Im now not sure [crying] And actually looking it up it seems theres a few of those out there so im not the only one.. Why I thought it was 2010 im not sure.. I haven't looked in a while.

...I remember when I bought it being told it was actually a 2008 model that had been on back order for a while even though it was made in 2011...

Correct me if I'm picking you up wrong but didn't '2008' refer to the model-type - a Chambered Standard - and not when the instrument was actually crafted and that '2008 Standards' were made for many years?

eusa_think.gif

Pip.

Correct me if I'm picking you up wrong but didn't '2008' refer to the model-type - a Chambered Standard - and not when the instrument was actually crafted and that '2008 Standards' were made for many years?

eusa_think.gif

Pip.

Yes... 2008 spec Standard made in 2011.. So I was told.. And as I say, I had a quick look about and theres a few like that out there. Weird I know.. (and yes its chambered)

1549335914[/url]' post='1976042']

LP6+TANH1

LP = Les Paul, 6 = 60's Neck profile, += Plus Top, TA = Trans Amber, NH = Nickel Hardware and 1 = not a second (not a b stock) a number 2 would be a second or b stock

I think

Good info!

Man, I'm so sorry! I went to give positive feedback for your post and hit the negative by mistake. I tried to change it but don't know how. :(

Can somebody give him a pos (or 2) too correct it for me. Thanks!

Good info!

Man, I'm so sorry! I went to give positive feedback for your post and hit the negative by mistake. I tried to change it but don't know how. :(

Can somebody give him a pos (or 2) too correct it for me. Thanks!

LOL its all good man, No worries!

Archived