Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Intonation Problems

JRData

So I bought a used Epiphone Blueshawk for gigging where I didn't want to bring out the heavy artillery. Much to my dismay the intonation was terrible, and tuning was a problem.

But through trial and error and some help from my friend it is resolved.

1. Replace the tuners. The ones that come on the guitar are terrible! I bought Gibson vintage ones, but you could use Schallers just as well, I'm sure.

2. The nut binds. I replaced mine with a Graphtech one. No more binding.

3. The bridge is placed too close to the neck, preventing intonation. I replaced the saddles with Graphtech, and brought them as close the the end of the bridge as was necessary.

This required filing out the string holes in the guitar as the saddles were then past the holes. I think G&L saddles would have been a better choice.

4. After all this, the chords on the first 4 frets were off if the guitar was tuned properly. The resolution to that was too lower the cuts in the nut for the strings. Graphtech

has a really good installation guide and you should check that out. When the cut is too high the intonation on the lower frets is off.

I hope this will be helpful to someone like me who couldn't find an answer to such a vexing problem.

:)

Good tips- especially lowering the action at the first fret. I added a zero fret to my Wildkat which substantially lowered the action-- solved a slight intonation issue AND made playing cowboy chords much easier on the fingertips.

I did the same things to my Epi Blueshawk, upgraded tuners, replaced the nut and set the intonation... When the Epi Blueshawk is setup correctly play exceptionally well and I love the traditional P90 sound they get, different from the Gibson BluesHawk that sounds more like a JazzMaster..:) I am looking for a hardtail tremolo, that doesn't require routing or to much hardware, for my Epi Bluehawk... eusa_wall.gif

EXDCmyN.jpg

Pic's would be good...

Archived