Gibson Brands Forums

What’s difference between the Les Paul Tribute and the Les Paul Studio Tribute?

yoshiii1

The new 2019 line has a "Tribute" of the Les Paul Studio, SG Standard, Firebird, and LPJ -- with the Tribute line be a stripped down model. So the "Les Paul Tribute" you are seeing is likely a 2018 or earlier model -- note: I would grab the 2018 LP Tribute because it (likely) has the trapezoid fretboard markers instead of the 2019 Tribute's dots.

Yes.. The main difference is the finish. The guitars are all made in the same place by the same people with same electronics and stuff but a Tribute has whats known as a worn or faded finish which just means it has a much thinner nitro coat where as the Studios have a thicker one.

Gibson seems to be releasing two 2019 lines ups this year because of the change in management. So the first lot of 2019s there is a Tribute model. Not sure if they are continuing that with the second lot of guitars that are coming out soon.

BUT both are Gibsons and great guitars. If you don't mind the lack of bling on the Tribute models they are a really good price for what you get. (I have one myself from 2011).

The 2018 Tribute and 2019 StudioTribute... two different creatures.

2018 is solid body (no weight relief) and the trapezoid fret markers as stated earlier... 2019 Studio Tribute has the ultra-modern weight relief body and dot fret markers.

• 1 year later...

As some might know by now, the second round of 2019 tributes had the trapezoids added back to the frets. Also I believe the serialization of two, the later reflects the 1st and 5th digit being the year. The GC employee and I went back and forth a few times on this confusion. I do have the later described in honeyburst.