Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge saddle grooves undone?

mcv

If it was slipping, I'd push the string aside and use a nail file, because I could find that fastest. They don't usually slip for me, and I push hard, so I would take it to one 4 set gig and it would be grooved by the end of the night. I wouldn't want the company to groove it because as soon as I get the guitar I am changing strings and I'd rather mine grooved it than theirs. That may be why there may be more and more ungrooved saddles on new guitars these days.

rct

That's definitely getting in the Groove of things..

Gibson notches its saddles. Sure, maybe some make it through un-notched, but they are exceptions. No, having strings find their own spot is not the way to go. It is generally the case that an exact straight pull from tailpiece to nut, which is what strings will do on their own, will not be optimum given polepiece location and/or fretboard edge, and spacing w/ other strings. It's easy to notch saddles properly, though easier to do it wrong, which is what will happen if you take the strange advice some have posted here. Just do the hammer method described in many places, and deepen the bass strings a tad, if needed, with a small file. Yours should have been done at the factory, and Sweetwater should have caught it, but there's a general level of carelessness, and this stuff happens.

Gibson notches its saddles. Sure, maybe some make it through un-notched, but they are exceptions. No, having strings find their own spot is not the way to go. It is generally the case that an exact straight pull from tailpiece to nut, which is what strings will do on their own, will not be optimum given polepiece location and/or fretboard edge, and spacing w/ other strings. It's easy to notch saddles properly, though easier to do it wrong, which is what will happen if you take the strange advice some have posted here. Just do the hammer method described in many places, and deepen the bass strings a tad, if needed, with a small file. Yours should have been done at the factory, and Sweetwater should have caught it, but there's a general level of carelessness, and this stuff happens.

100% agreed, there is no way in hell im letting the grooves just make themselves if I had a bridge replacement.... or a guitar that wasn’t grooved by the manufacturer. If you’re not too concerned with string spacing then be my guest not my guitar...

Archived