Gibson Brands Forums

90's era leather handle case fix help

Hi all.

This is in regards to the 90's style case with the (far superior and immeasurably cooler) leather handle. I checked the search and the are a lot of "how to replace" the handle, but nothing about "I caught it before it broke, what do I do to fix it?"

Anyone out there that has fixed one of these, I'd love to hear how. Also how did you get the brass to STOP digging into the handle?

Thanks in advance, I'm new here so, you know. Hey, nice place you got going on.

Hi all.

This is in regards to the 90's style case with the (far superior and immeasurably cooler) leather handle. I checked the search and the are a lot of "how to replace" the handle, but nothing about "I caught it before it broke, what do I do to fix it?"

Anyone out there that has fixed one of these, I'd love to hear how. Also how did you get the brass to STOP digging into the handle?

Thanks in advance, I'm new here so, you know. Hey, nice place you got going on. ����

SlimSlashie,

Can you post a photo of the damaged handle?

[mellow]

SlimSlashie,

Can you post a photo of the damaged handle?

[mellow]

Yes sir, I should have included them in the first post but... You know, technology... [biggrin]

2iiitud.jpg

w9fsdd.jpg

hwcr2p.jpg

As you can see, it's not broke YET. But it will be, and that is my concern.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to do something about the brass digging into it, as well as somehow patch the part that's tearing.

(I also have a double neck case that this is happening on. That is... disheartening. I love that guitar.

Thanks again, I appreciate it buddy.

From the looks of that I would say that the 90s style case is NOT "far superior" but quite the opposite. The newer handles don't have sharp brass edges cutting through the leather.

It seems you need to wrap the leather handle in something that the brass won't cut into so fast, sorry I don't have a suggestion as to what that might be. Some sort of heavy duty fabric tape??

• 2 weeks later...

From the looks of that I would say that the 90s style case is NOT "far superior" but quite the opposite. The newer handles don't have sharp brass edges cutting through the leather.

It seems you need to wrap the leather handle in something that the brass won't cut into so fast, sorry I don't have a suggestion as to what that might be. Some sort of heavy duty fabric tape??

lol roger that brother. If you saw one in person, you'd change your mind. They are solidly built, not china garbage or wherever they get their cases from these days. They also have this beautiful satin cover... Far superior EXCEPT the handle. :)

lol roger that brother. If you saw one in person, you'd change your mind. They are solidly built, not china garbage or wherever they get their cases from these days. They also have this beautiful satin cover... Far superior EXCEPT the handle. :)

I have plenty of 90s cases like yours... They are OK. I also have a new 2018 LP case which says right inside "Made in Canada" just like the old 90s TKL cases you are talking about, so I wouldn't go as far as to say that they are something made in the far east. As well, my LP 2018 Gibson case is pretty well built too. Have you actually seen what you get "these days"?

And SOME of the shrouds (satin cover) in those 90s cases when they were new didn't have the dye entirely dried when they were sold, and they left pink stains on the edges of the binding if your guitar had binding on the top. There's a reason they don't do them anymore. Again, not knocking them and they look fancy, but I wouldn't go as far as to say superior, because if you had a look at my 2018 Gibson USA case, you would probably think differently. I physically have the A/B comparison in my possession - looking at them every day... I can make a pretty good conclusion about the quality of what the new stuff is, and it definitely is not low quality.

What makes you say that the new stuff is cheap? Had a bad experience with something? Please, elaborate.

Archived