• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sold all my Martins...

#21 User is offline   G Mac 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: All Access
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:56 PM

Well... it looks as though my comment has touched some nerves out there! Sorry... not sorry! How's that for internet gibberish? I have only my own experience as a reference for my opinion and I'm entitled to it; as are we all. As far as endorsing one brand over another, a careful read of my post will reveal that I never did anything of the sort. In fact, I feel that the guitars in question are all great instruments, each with their own unique and desirable qualities. It was not my intention to disrepect anyone's preference. Perhaps it's the buttah thing? Maybe margerine is a better term... oleo, Country Crock, what? I await your scathing disapproval...
Gibson 1966 ES-330
Fender Mexican Stratocaster(mid 90's)
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro(2014)
Oscar Schmidt OC11 CE classical
Fender Squier Jazz bass(2008-ish)
1981 Music Man RD112 50
Carvin V3 MC 50 watt, single 12"

#22 User is offline   vacamartin 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationCa.

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:56 PM

View Postsbpark, on 11 February 2019 - 12:54 PM, said:

The only Martin guitar I really do like and could see myself getting again would be a (relatively inexpensive) 000-15M. Martin really hit the nail on the head with that guitar. They sound amazing and won't break the bank,

000-15m is ethereal! Best sounding 15 I've ever owned. Posted Image

#23 User is offline   jvi 

• Advanced Member
  • Locationvan isle canada

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:23 AM

View PostG Mac, on 12 February 2019 - 06:56 PM, said:

Well... it looks as though my comment has touched some nerves out there! Sorry... not sorry! How's that for internet gibberish? I have only my own experience as a reference for my opinion and I'm entitled to it; as are we all. As far as endorsing one brand over another, a careful read of my post will reveal that I never did anything of the sort. In fact, I feel that the guitars in question are all great instruments, each with their own unique and desirable qualities. It was not my intention to disrepect anyone's preference. Perhaps it's the buttah thing? Maybe margerine is a better term... oleo, Country Crock, what? I await your scathing disapproval...

this forum can be tough sometimes but keep posting

#24 User is offline   Larsongs 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 February 2019 - 12:37 AM

View Postsbpark, on 11 February 2019 - 12:54 PM, said:

Not bashing Martins at all. They make some fine guitars, but I just sold the last of the few Martins I had. Paired down to just two acoustics and ended keeping my J45 Standard and an Advanced Jumbo. I play the J45 99% of the time and it's just the one I reach for 99% of the time. I had a D-35 that almost gave the J45 a run for it's money. It was a beautiful sounding guitar, huge, rich, warm and clear sound, but not as versatile as the J45, and in some cases a little too powerful, but man did that D-35 sound good! Also had a 70's D-28 that I gave the works to before selling it (neck reset, refret, a couple loose back braces glued) and a '14 Custom Shop small body 12-fretter. Just never bonded with Martins like I did with my two Gibsons.

The only Martin guitar I really do like and could see myself getting again would be a (relatively inexpensive) 000-15M. Martin really hit the nail on the head with that guitar. They sound amazing and won't break the bank, but for now it's just the J45 and AJ.

Sounds line you like smaller Guitars as opposed to jumbo Dreadnoughts... Which is ok. I like J-45's but I'm just the opposite. My serious go to Acoustic is my D-35. I've played tons of J-45's & 35's. I've never been able to bring myself to buy one..

As close as I've come is to buy a Gibson Bozeman Masterbilt Solid Top J-160 E. It's a Fab Guitar & I love playing it. But it's 2nd to my Martin...

I haven't found a Taylor That I bonded with, at least so far & I've played many...

I've only played a couple Collings & am very impressed with them. Really fine Guitars. I could see myself owning one.

L

This post has been edited by Larsongs: 14 February 2019 - 12:40 AM

#25 User is offline   Old Neil 

• Advanced Member

Posted 16 February 2019 - 07:51 AM

I'm in a similar position to the OP. Have had the pleasure of owning many fine Martins over the years including several custom orders and 40's series. However, today my three acoustics are all Gibsons: A particularly great J-45 standard with a few changes made by my favorite luthier; A custom shop, 12 fret AJ; A Hummingbird Vintage (the one with the 'cooked' top). They all have a tonal function and dovetail really well on recordings where the Martins were harder to tame.

Each have their own character to sit and play with to and different song inspirations seem to come out of each of them.

In any case, love what you play, play what you love. It's all good.
Standard J-45 - you might want more guitars than this one but you don't need 'em

#26 User is offline   Robert M 

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:56 AM

I've been playing Martins since 1966 so I don't think I'll be getting rid of them soon BUT yesterday I bought my first Gibson. A J45 Standard.

I have to say that it's easier to play than any guitar that I've ever owned. I've read comments on other sites about the quality of Gibsons lately.

The quality of mine is perfect. I couldn't be happier.

#27 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• Did A Vehicle Come From Somewhere Out There
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 16 February 2019 - 01:18 PM

I didn't sell any of mine. We all like what we like. I love Gibson electrics, but for some reason the big thick hollow ones just don't gel with me. Everytime I go into a guitar store that has Gibson acoustics I play them and still just...meh. But there are a lot of Martins I have picked up and said 3k for this... never in a million years would I pay that much for whatever model it happened to be. I do like these Gibby Dreads (Dove, Bird and Songwriter), but can't justify spending 3 to 7 thousand on a guitar that I have with the same tonewoods I already own. I did do trades to get most of the acoustics I currently own and almost everything I have now is a definite keeper. I know they will sound different, but I can't justify it and my wife would kill me if I came home with a multi-thousand dollar guitar.

This post has been edited by FZ Fan: 16 February 2019 - 01:37 PM

#28 User is offline   OldCowboy 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIndiana - Texas - sometimes Lost

Posted 18 February 2019 - 07:10 PM

My Martins got sold off a few years back. In most instances, unless it's rosewood, I get happier playing Gibsons. Still would enjoy having one Martin around, though - and perversely prefer those that have been well played, well worn, repaired a few times, and might be considered flat ugly by furniture standards. I expect there's one waiting out there, but we'll have to cross paths according to fate if that's the case. My wife sold her 000-15M recently; not a stellar instrument, but the best model I've seen (so far) of the current hog tops. Just now, she's using a rebraced Harmony Sovereign: the poor man's D-18☺

#29 User is offline   arcticsg 

• Advanced Member

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:24 AM

Hate to see you let all your Martins go. But you have to do what ya have to do. :)
I don't have any Gibson acoustics at the moment. But I sure like my D-35. ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by arcticsg: 19 February 2019 - 01:25 AM

"Just say NO to Richlite fretboards" Posted Image

#30 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• LocationVirginia

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:22 AM

View Postarcticsg, on 19 February 2019 - 01:24 AM, said:

Hate to see you let all your Martins go. But you have to do what ya have to do. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Almost had one. But the 28 sounded better that day I played both and was ready to trade.

#31 User is offline   OldCowboy 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationIndiana - Texas - sometimes Lost

Posted 19 February 2019 - 10:03 PM

View Postarcticsg, on 19 February 2019 - 01:24 AM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I've played 3 D-35s over my lifetime that I considered to be truly outstanding. Actually owned one of them for a while. If you have a good'n, hold onto it because they vary considerably from one to the next IMHO.

#32 User is offline   EuroAussie 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 21 February 2019 - 04:53 AM

Well, I have a J-40, which I dont play much, but it has such a unique tone it deserves its place in the stable ... but I did sell two days ago my Advanced Jumbo, which after 7 years Ive created no connection with.

The Big Fat Lady 02' Gibson J-150
The Squares 11' Hummingbird TV, 08' Dove
The Slopey 11' Gibson SJ (Aaron Lewis),
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
The Lonely Electric: 95' Les Paul

What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnat...oubleshotprague

#33 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• LocationVirginia

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:54 AM

View PostEuroAussie, on 21 February 2019 - 04:53 AM, said:

Well, I have a J-40, which I dont play much, but it has such a unique tone it deserves its place in the stable ... but I did sell two days ago my Advanced Jumbo, which after 7 years Ive created no connection with.

Those J-40's ain't cheap.

This post has been edited by FZ Fan: 21 February 2019 - 06:54 AM

#34 User is offline   ksdaddy 

• Hold 'er neut, yer headed fer the rhubarb.
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:04 AM

My Gibsons have always been like comfort food. Theyíre easy to play and are forgiving when I screw up. In my case, the Gibson Thump comes in handy to cover up my mistakes. And then I get lazy. I have a 2015 HD-28 that is not as forgiving. If I make a mistake, everyone knows it. Itís the loudest guitar Iíve ever owned and it sounds itís best when the notes ring out as opposed to being thumped. The Gibsons make life easy for me and reward me with good tone. The Martin forces me to step up my game and be my best, and rewards me with huge thunder. I even raised the action so it will rattle the windows. Those sausage fingers of mine will just have to man up.

#35 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• LocationVirginia

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:17 AM

View Postksdaddy, on 21 February 2019 - 08:04 AM, said:

My Gibsons have always been like comfort food. They're easy to play and are forgiving when I screw up. In my case, the Gibson Thump comes in handy to cover up my mistakes. And then I get lazy. I have a 2015 HD-28 that is not as forgiving. If I make a mistake, everyone knows it. It's the loudest guitar I've ever owned and it sounds it's best when the notes ring out as opposed to being thumped. The Gibsons make life easy for me and reward me with good tone. The Martin forces me to step up my game and be my best, and rewards me with huge thunder. I even raised the action so it will rattle the windows. Those sausage fingers of mine will just have to man up.

I suck on whatever I have I my hands.

#36 User is offline   ksdaddy 

• Hold 'er neut, yer headed fer the rhubarb.
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 21 February 2019 - 11:27 AM

Oh, me too, but some days I suck less than others.

#37 User is offline   FZ Fan 

• LocationVirginia

Posted 21 February 2019 - 12:25 PM

View Postksdaddy, on 21 February 2019 - 11:27 AM, said:

Oh, me too, but some days I suck less than others.

I wonder if Anna...

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users