Gibson Brands Forums

Sold all my Martins...

sbpark

I've been playing Martins since 1966 so I don't think I'll be getting rid of them soon BUT yesterday I bought my first Gibson. A J45 Standard.

I have to say that it's easier to play than any guitar that I've ever owned. I've read comments on other sites about the quality of Gibsons lately.

The quality of mine is perfect. I couldn't be happier.

My Martins got sold off a few years back. In most instances, unless it's rosewood, I get happier playing Gibsons. Still would enjoy having one Martin around, though - and perversely prefer those that have been well played, well worn, repaired a few times, and might be considered flat ugly by furniture standards. I expect there's one waiting out there, but we'll have to cross paths according to fate if that's the case. My wife sold her 000-15M recently; not a stellar instrument, but the best model I've seen (so far) of the current hog tops. Just now, she's using a rebraced Harmony Sovereign: the poor man's D-18☺

Hate to see you let all your Martins go. But you have to do what ya have to do. :)

I don't have any Gibson acoustics at the moment. But I sure like my D-35. ;)

35front.jpg

35back.jpg

I've played 3 D-35s over my lifetime that I considered to be truly outstanding. Actually owned one of them for a while. If you have a good'n, hold onto it because they vary considerably from one to the next IMHO.

My Gibsons have always been like comfort food. They’re easy to play and are forgiving when I screw up. In my case, the Gibson Thump comes in handy to cover up my mistakes. And then I get lazy. I have a 2015 HD-28 that is not as forgiving. If I make a mistake, everyone knows it. It’s the loudest guitar I’ve ever owned and it sounds it’s best when the notes ring out as opposed to being thumped. The Gibsons make life easy for me and reward me with good tone. The Martin forces me to step up my game and be my best, and rewards me with huge thunder. I even raised the action so it will rattle the windows. Those sausage fingers of mine will just have to man up.

Archived