Gibson Brands Forums

Introduce Me To Someone Off The Radar....

Murph

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody new here, but might not be squarely on the radar - Alvin Youngblood Hart and Mississippi Fred McDowell are two guys I've been listening to a lot lately. The other guy that might be off the radar a little is Seasick Steve, cool stuff - maybe too much electric... here he is with Jone Paul Jones doing

Lots of good stuff posted!

I have a few of my own.

Jason Isbell (maybe not off the radar):

John Fullbright (perhaps off the radar)

Courtney Marie Andrews (likely off the radar):

Thastrom (definetely off the radar):

Edit: just found this as a side step when looking up the links above.

This has all I love in music. It does not get better then this in my opinion, and with a Hummingbird too!

Lars

This song was my introduction to Tyler Childers, and if he had recorded it as a shellac 78 rpm it would fit perfectly into the Harry Smith Anthology - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QzcrflqDCg

M.C. Taylor aka Hiss Golden Messenger is, to my ears, at his best playing solo. The Bad Debt album that he recorded late at night in his kitchen is my personal favorite of his works. Here's a live solo set - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6iVzD06cKg

Also, here's a completely different bag - Baden Powell. This track is from my absolute favorite album of his, Baden Plays Vinicius. If memory serves, it was the last album he recorded, taking one last sweep through the best of the songs he had co-written with Vinicius de Moraes. These are all solo instrumental pieces, moody and introspective. Listen to them with earbuds or headphones and soak it in ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPLBFcOQUvA

A couple of others whom I cannot get enough of.

First up is Carla Olson. She started out with the Textones, went solo and then teamed up with Gene Cark and later Mick Taylor. The version she and Taylor do of "Winter" on her Ring of Truth LP is nothing short of amazing.

With Gene Clark.

Another is Bekka Bramlett the daughter of Delaney and Bonnie Bramlett. She definitely inherited her mother's lungs.

Here she is with Billy Burnette (the son of Dorsey Burnette and nephew of Johnny Burnette). If this don't bring a smile to your face and get your *** moving you ain't alive.

With her Mom. Talk about making a righteous noise.

A couple of others whom I cannot get enough of.

First up is Carla Olson. She started out with the Textones, went solo and then teamed up with Gene Cark and later Mick Taylor. The version she and Taylor do of "Winter" on her Ring of Truth LP is nothing short of amazing.

With Gene Clark.

Another is Bekka Bramlett the daughter of Delaney and Bonnie Bramlett. She definitely inherited her mother's lungs.

Here she is with Billy Burnette (the son of Dorsey Burnette and nephew of Johnny Burnette). If this don't bring a smile to your face and get your *** moving you ain't alive.

With her Mom. Talk about making a righteous noise.

Those Bramlett ladies are impressive.

Archived