Gibson Brands Forums

Introduce Me To Someone Off The Radar....

Murph

Jason is certainly not under the radar. He's won 4 Grammy's (if that means anything to anyone) recorded 3 albums with DBT and has at least 5 or 6 studio albums and a few live albums with his own band. He wrote a song for A Star Is Born and his career has been on the rise for a few years now, while his old band DBT are just keeping their heads above water. Seen Jason about 8 times and tix go on sale for him tomorrow for his Richmond show in June.

Indeed, but he is unfortunately still way off the radar where I live. I just assumed he was mostly known in the ”americana” genre in the U.S.

I also guess the validity of the recommendations mostly depends on in which direction Murph has been aiming his radar [biggrin]

Of artists alive and active, Isbell is the one whose current music speaks the most to me.

By the way, I just found out in the other thread that Ryan Adams’ music is off the radar for a surprising number of people. There is so much great stuff out there, more easily available than ever, but it is still impossible to keep up with everything and everybody.

Lars

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jason Isbell may be the best songwriter of this century. Unreal how good that guy is. I think most of us on this forum are 'older.' I hope most younger folks know who he is. And he's not 'young' but he's a lot younger than me. He's doing pretty well, driving around in multiple buses, lol. And has the ultimate dream of mine... a good-looking woman (wife) who plays fiddle and sings. Also writes. That's the ultimate.

I think I own all of his cd's, Southeastern is the fave of all.

Southeaster is my fav of his. I think I saw him at least twice on that tour. I rarely listen to DBT anymore. Just tired of their songs about whatever tragedy they saw on the news recently. Jason is the real deal (singer, songwriter, guitar player, and slide player). He used to be a drunk. I think he's been sober for 5 years now. His wife is attractive, but I am not a fan of her music. I tried to listen to it, but it did nothing for me. She can sing and play the fiddle (violin for us regular folks).

Tickets go on sale for him in a few hour for his Richmond show. It was Richmond that did Jason in with DBT. It was where they got fed up with him and gave him the boot. I believe he sings about it on Southeastern.

I do not have his wife's records either. She's a good musician but does not compel me to buy.

I do not know the back story of him getting booted out by his band. He getting drunk or what? Is there a specific song on Southeastern where he sings about that?

Not sure how far off the radar Jace Everett is, but I really like his album Old New Borrowed Blues. I believe he did that one in a single take. He's pretty versatile in his style. You might recognize a couple of his songs. One of them was made popular by Scotty McCreery, and another is the theme song to True Blood.

Another recommendation is Shakey Graves. He uses alternate tunings and plays his best as a one man band (busker style).

Jason Isbell just got out of the studio producing Josh Ritter's new record with support from the 400 Unit. It won't be out for a couple of months but there is an advance single that sounds decidedly Isbelish, guitar solo included. I love some of Josh Ritter's stuff, this single has me intrigued to hear the rest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37jimrogxMw

Not sure how far off the radar Jace Everett is, but I really like his album Old New Borrowed Blues. I believe he did that one in a single take. He's pretty versatile in his style. You might recognize a couple of his songs. One of them was made popular by Scotty McCreery, and another is the theme song to True Blood.

Another recommendation is Shakey Graves. He uses alternate tunings and plays his best as a one man band (busker style).

Thanks for this. That album sounds great. I had no idea "Bad Things" was not a full band number on his album as opposed to the version for the TV show.

What a fun song to play, no matter which approach taken or guitar in hand.

Thanks for this. That album sounds great. I had no idea "Bad Things" was not a full band number on his album as opposed to the version for the TV show.

What a fun song to play, no matter which approach taken or guitar in hand.

Glad you like it! I'd be happy just doing covers from that album.

A couple of others whom I cannot get enough of.

First up is Carla Olson. She started out with the Textones, went solo and then teamed up with Gene Cark and later Mick Taylor. The version she and Taylor do of "Winter" on her Ring of Truth LP is nothing short of amazing.

With Gene Clark.

Another is Bekka Bramlett the daughter of Delaney and Bonnie Bramlett. She definitely inherited her mother's lungs.

Here she is with Billy Burnette (the son of Dorsey Burnette and nephew of Johnny Burnette). If this don't bring a smile to your face and get your *** moving you ain't alive.

With her Mom. Talk about making a righteous noise.

Oh, wow. That was really nice. And you saved the best for last, the Bramlett women- . . .

yeah, I definitely would not have found that on my own. Thx. And thx to Murph for the thread.

I'll look to remember. I only know cause when I saw him in Richmond he told the story on stage of how big of an a-hole he was and how drunk he was that night. Not sure if he played the show that night or got the boot after, and then he played Cover Me Up.

Put your faith to the test when I tore off your dress

In Richmond on high

But I sobered up and I swore off that stuff

Forever this time

This interview / performance is just a few weeks old. It was incredibly beautiful, funny and extremely interesting.

Lars

• 2 weeks later...

Mark Knopfler is way to rich and famous to be off the radar, but I just started looking into his music and am impressed. On a roll with UK guitarists: MK, R Thompson, Renbourn, Jansch. KT Tunstall been known to write a song or two (yes she do).

While they were everywhere for a while there, they are way off the radar these days...

Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee!

BluesKing777.

Who says you can't play country blues on a Martin dread?

Always good to get back to those country blues, ain't it BK? You should feel right at home there.

Who says you can't play country blues on a Martin dread?

Always good to get back to those country blues, ain't it BK? You should feel right at home there.

I saw them a number of times in the 70s when they had the travelling blues revues getting around. They had a massive argument live in front of a big crowd and Sonny wouldn’t play while Brownie kept egging him back. If it was staged, it was brilliant, because when Sonny came back in. Well, words fail. But Brownie’s D18, I took a year or so (25?) to find out it was a Martin and a D18.... No forum to look it up. Don’t matter anyway, I have a D18 and it don’t sound like his on records or on the video with the Dearmond. I put the BBC video up because the BBC sound engineers had it in those days, maybe did time at Abbey Road. If someone played live on our local station, you couldn’t hear the guitar ....

BluesKing777.

Okay, don't know how familiar you over-ponders are with Roy Harper, but he used to be rather well known here - especially in the UK*.

He was a central member of the modern British 60s folk-scene and achieved lots of recognition then and in the decade to come.

Look him up if any interest. His discography and catalog are huge.

I only have a few albums and didn't know this one from the debut called Sophisticated Beggar. Actually just saw it.

More than amazing stuff when you consider how early it, , , and how young he was.

Blackpool

1966 ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISthR1qROm0

*maybe bbg and other Brits can chime in on how he's placed/seen/heard now. Born in 1941, he can't be too busy, yet who knows. .

Probably top of the 'should be more famous than he is' is Roy Harper

Part pink floyd part Jethro Tull part cat Stevens part guitar genius

Although just the right amount of oddness to keep him out of any charts and was probably one of those who, while brilliant, didn't have any business sense or indeed desire to be a household name .

A true artist

Led zeppelin certainly seen his talent , heavily influencing them and even being named in their 'hats off to Roy Harper' song

Out very own forum member from down under is obviously fan 'flatbaroque and berzerk' is a fine album

Stormcock is my favourite though , and you should all check him out

I'm fairly sure almost all of you will have heard him perhaps unknowingly as it is Roy Harper who sings on 'have a cigar' on pink Floyd's wish you were here

Not David , not roger .... Roy

Archived