Gibson Brands Forums

Soundhole Pickup Test

BluesKing777

And here is another track with the Black Angel, this time on my old Gibson L-0.

This is the pickup recommended to me when I was looking for one that fits the Martin OMs but with adjustable pole pieces, (Baggs M1 and M80 and Sunrise don't!!!) - a passive soundhole pickup that needs pre-amperage and EQ-iness.

I am still adjusting the pole pieces...

And no, I am not 'coming out' but here is an instrumental of "G.Michael's "Careless Whisper; I played off a page in '50 Fingerstyle TABs'

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/whisper7

BluesKing777.

The playing is great, the tone... sounds like an electric guitar. A good one. Maybe a tele with the pickup switch all neck...

How would you feel about recording that same LG3 gem with a mic, and letting us compare?

Thanks for the time...

As requested - 1959 Gibson LG3 and instumental recorded acoustically only (a bit pointless as a 'soundhole pickup test' - it can't go anywhere - but I like it so I did it):

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/rolling7-2

BluesKing777.

I love it, but how long has it been since you sat in front of a mic on a stand and aimed your bare sound hole (don't misinterpret) at it? That's the true A-B test, because all s'hole pickups impede the top somewhat. I wish I had the mechanics worked out to offer clips, but it would be interesting to compare the DiMarzio and others like it to the bare open mic. Sound hole PUs always sound heavy on the mid and bass, or muted to my ear.

I love it, but how long has it been since you sat in front of a mic on a stand and aimed your bare sound hole (don't misinterpret) at it? That's the true A-B test, because all s'hole pickups impede the top somewhat. I wish I had the mechanics worked out to offer clips, but it would be interesting to compare the DiMarzio and others like it to the bare open mic. Sound hole PUs always sound heavy on the mid and bass, or muted to my ear.

Sorry JZ, but haven't been able to get past the mental picture of 'aiming my bare soundhole at the mic stand' part.... [unsure]

But now that I think of it, some of the places I used to play, I really don't think they would have noticed... Oh, sorry - I thought you meant something else. But I did just post another clip recorded acoustically only with my Neumann KM184 in a reply to Sal above.

1550107094[/url]' post='1977485']

As requested - 1959 Gibson LG3 and instumental recorded acoustically only (a bit pointless as a 'soundhole pickup test' - it can't go anywhere - but I like it so I did it):

https://soundcloud.c...k7-3/rolling7-2

BluesKing777.

Ok. Boom there it is. There is no comparison... of course there isn’t. Thank you.

Why are you doing so much gear testing... pickups, preamps and such... you playing out live again? That’s awesome. Kudos.

Yep, joke's on us. I could use a laugh.

He sent me a vid clip. They're actually Mattel toy guitars. One's a Roy Rogers and the other a Mickey Mouse. He's just that freekin' good. They all sound like Gibsons. Or Matons.

Ha Ha, hysterical you guys...

I probably deserve that, but it is a Gibson guaranteed.

And while a Maton addresses the problem of playing live very nicely with the pickup system they have, that doesn't help get the other acoustics in the fleet electrified and up running through my preamp and mixer.

So to go back a bit, I was happy with a Baggs M1A tweaked a lot and run through a EQ box to take the uglies out as much as possible. It really does come up well, a bit pretty maybe. On other advice, I removed the 1st string pole piece, liked it and removed the 2nd string pole piece and lowered all the others as much as possible. Works good....

So I go to try the Baggs M1A in the guitar I have spent the most on ....ever..... - my Martin OM18 Authentic VTS and the bloody thing doesn't fit in the soundhole, no matter how I tortured it. I can take one clamp off and tape the thing in and it works, but the tape kept lifting and the pickup touches the strings etc..

Then I asked around on some forums for soundhole pickups that fit - (I don't want to alter the OM in any way) and the Dimarzio Black Angel is what was heavily recommended. It fits and the OM18A has electricity if it wants but...like from the replies above, it sounds like a Tele.......

I mention this here because, along with my soundclips above, it is the brutal truth about playing acoustics electrified. It is not really any improvement on what I had in 1985.

BluesKing777.

Now, to the bright and hopeful department....(though you need an undersaddle pickup to do this...)

I recorded the same tune, same guitar, 1959 Gibson LG3, but this time I ran a lead from the undersaddle pickup (Fishman passive) to my Tonedexter using the wavefile I recorded ages ago. Plenty of details on the Tonedexter site if you are interested further.

I think it comes up truly fab - have a listen...there is no mic involved in this recording even thought it sounds like it...just running through Tonedexter and to my mixer/record.

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/rolling7-3

I got a bit sick of the same tune, so I did a bit of blues from Dave Hamburger...same Tonedexter setup:

https://soundcloud.com/bk7-3/eee-7

BluesKing777.

Oh yeah...clear as a bell. What strings are on your LG3 and L0, BK?

Elixir PB 12s on everything, JZ.

(Sometimes Elixir 80/20 12s if they don’t have PB....this happens a lot.)

Great strings if you have a few guitars lying around not played...attention turns to them and the strings are like when you left off last time. Others go a bit rusty around here with our weirdo changable weather.

BluesKing777.

I'm not falling for your tricks.

Make it a YouTube video.....

[biggrin]

What tricks would they be? Guitar playing?

Sounds like you have been listening to Big Moron and his side kick, Little Moron...neither of who can play a C chord.

And how in hell would I run the Tonedexter and mixer sound to a video?

BluesKing777.

Archived