Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup adjustment - Toby Deluxe-V

steve42

I have a Toby Deluxe-V that I was a bit nervous about playing because it is my first 5 string and I am a novice player. I really wanted the boom of the B string so I finally made the decision to bring it out.

One thing that I have noticed is that it appears the pickups are "hot" on the D string compared to the upper strings. Since I am not a trained bassist, I started out playing a 4-string using mainly the E and A strings and about the time I began to branch out to the D and occasionally the G, I had the added complexity of the new B string. It may just be that I am contacting the D harder than I should out of discomfort with it in general, or the combination of that and the lighter gauge makes it louder, but I am wondering about adjust-ability of the pickups to compensate. If I simply lower the pickups, I may inadvertently decrease the volume of my A-string playing as well.

The answer may be "keep practicing, you'll get it eventually" but if there is any internal adjustment capabability of these Split Humbucker pickups, I'd like to know about it to solve the immediate issue of twanging that string loudly during an otherwise quiet moment.

Thanks,

Steve

Archived