Gibson Brands Forums

I got a new Gibson but dont know what to sell my old one for

bratsvt

I recently got a shred v and I absolutely love it but now I have to sell my explorer to recoup some cost but not sure what to value it at. It's a non production explorer. The guitar is considered as a pilot guitar. I had Gibson verified the guitar as a Gibson Explorer Faded model in Satin Vintage Sunburst finish, made on the 187th day of 2009

in Nashville, TN. The guitar was sold at Nashville in a closed bid auction and the person I spoke to at Gibson had no idea what it sold for.It also looks like a 84 reissue do to no pickguard and the knobs in a triangle configuration.I would post some pics but I'm not very computer savvy and I'm not sure how to lol.

I've been to the local music store but there zero help. The only help I'm getting from them is a lowball 700 offer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would keep it if I could, since this guitar is one of one but I must recoup my money.

I recently got a shred v and I absolutely love it but now I have to sell my explorer to recoup some cost but not sure what to value it at. It's a non production explorer. The guitar is considered as a pilot guitar. I had Gibson verified the guitar as a Gibson Explorer Faded model in Satin Vintage Sunburst finish, made on the 187th day of 2009

in Nashville, TN. The guitar was sold at Nashville in a closed bid auction and the person I spoke to at Gibson had no idea what it sold for.It also looks like a 84 reissue do to no pickguard and the knobs in a triangle configuration.I would post some pics but I'm not very computer savvy and I'm not sure how to lol.

I've been to the local music store but there zero help. The only help I'm getting from them is a lowball 700 offer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would keep it if I could, since this guitar is one of one but I must recoup my money.

Sounds like a cool Explorer. Whether you keep it or sell it, I strongly suggest you get as much documentation together on it as possible. It could make a huge value difference whenever it is passed on. Now it would be the difference between the $700 and ?????. Document what a regular 2009 is, and how this one differs, Don't rely on a story to hold water. Unfortunately, a story could be 100% true, but without any documentation, it loses credibility. Remember, there are a lot of stories out there, and too many are being told to sell a guitar for more money.

any store will usually give you about a 50% appraisal as they need to resell it..

but I think whether it's a prototype or not.. doesn't really increase your value unless there is a collector that must have a proto.

otherwise it's just another guitar.

https://reverb.com/ca/item/4220801-gibson-explorer-faded-limited-edition

here is a one that is sold for $750,

They've done that triangle knobs thingy with the switch back there a few times, 80's for sure.

If it is a prototype it will be clearly marked, often guitars that make it past prototype are different, so the prototype(s) are clearly marked.

If not, it's a garden variety 2009 Explorer reissue of that 80's thing, still a nice guitar.

The closed bid sale means nothing.

Start at a grand, see if you get any bites. Good luck with it.

rct

if your local Craig's list is like the one in my area items are priced pretty crazy there. Crazy high or crazy cheap. Hot deals get scooped up fast and the rest go into relist after relist. Reverb or Ebay would probably be a wider audience.

Yep, people see something listed for 200%+ of its value on the internet and then believe their item is worth that much because some shmo listed it that high.

Your Explorer looks pretty clean, the only deterrent is the used stamp on the head stock. I have never seen one in good condition go for under $1000 which if you put it on craislist, I would at least double that, depending on demand for Explorers in your area, see what happens.. Basically run the price high, if people are interested they will make offers.

the used stamp is for the guitar being a pilot guitar and carried no warranty. theres also another stamp, in the electronic cavity on the side. Stamped 7, meaning there were at least 7 guitar in the pilot series. The pilot series was for the color and as far as I know. this is the only in this color. They had another explorer but the knob configuration was the 3 in a roll. when this guitar was sold to the public. it was only through sealed bid at Nashville. the explorer is evey clean. the only ding on it, is from factory when they stamped. They also put a small circle like ding in the front. Its not very noticable unless I showed you. Besides that. its flawless.

USED is like the 2 under the serial number. It was returned to the factory, fixed, and retailed again. One of several iterations of how they handle returns. You might notice they may seem to be getting harder and harder to "just send it back". This kind of stuff is why. They get a guitar that has a wonky switch, fix it, and face consequences if they don't mark it in some way to indicate it is not brand new stuff. It won't ever command retail price, it can't.

rct

this one was not returned to the factory. this was produce as a pilot guitar for this series of color. in the end the explorer didnt make the cut. I think the only ones were produced in this color were lp and sg. the pilot line were 2 Los, 1 sg, 1 v, 2 explorer and I think the last one was a firebird. this is the only one I can find in this color. The color is a satin vintage sunburst.

this one was not returned to the factory. this was produce as a pilot guitar for this series of color. in the end the explorer didnt make the cut. I think the only ones were produced in this color were lp and sg. the pilot line were 2 Los, 1 sg, 1 v, 2 explorer and I think the last one was a firebird. this is the only one I can find in this color. The color is a satin vintage sunburst.

As I said earlier, you need documentation. Even more so with the "Used" stamp. You have to admit the used stamp is counter-intuitive to your story. It has a regular serial number, and a regular box label. You are going to have to get something more than your word if you expect to be believed. That's just the way it is. This doesn't have to do just with guitars, but applies to cars, antiques, and lots of other items. The saying is, "extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof".

It's a nice Guitar but nothing exotic or justifying a Collector high price... The question is, What would you take for it? If anyone's interested they'll respond. If they don't you're probably too high...

There's no shortage of Used Guitars For Sale...... Sales on Reverb.com for ones like yours is $850 - $999..... Refurbs may be less..

I told you why guitars are marked USED. You can make up all the reasons you want, you can call things by all the different words you want, without documentation, permanent markings on the guitar, or letter(s) of authenticity, you have a garden variety Explorer that was returned to the factory for something and retailed again. It may be of some special color or other, but without anything at all explaining it, and outside of the Gibson answer from Jon telling you it's a garden variety Explorer, it's a garden variety Explorer and the 700 you were offered was probably something you should have taken.

Good luck.

rct

IMO if it were a pilot guitar or something that was not into production yet, then there would not have been a serial number. From my experience seeing this kind of stamp on a guitar means it had some kind of problem. Why would they stamp used on something that had not been released yet? I personally do not buy guitars with a stamp like that and it will be hard to get above average pricing on it as well. You need to go and find the guy that offered you 700.00. IMO that particular explorer averages that without the USED stamp so you need to cash in if you can. Sorry though if you got took for more than that when you bought it. It is not the end of the world, it is just a guitar and it is still worth something to someone.

Archived