Gibson Brands Forums

J100 neck sizes through the years.

Swing604

Hi all.

A few weeks ago, I became the happy owner of a new (on clearance) 2016 SJ100 Walnut which after a pickup swap has quickly became my main gigging guitar! 🙂 I actually like the model so much, I’d like to find another J100, maybe with some different back & side woods. One thing I particularly like about about my SJ100 is the nice & chunky neck which I believe is referred to as the 50’s style “round” profile also found on the J35 reissues. There are two J100’s currently on Craigslist in my area, a 2006 J100 Bubinga & a limited edition Northern Super Jumbo (Rosewood B&S). I’m curious if the necks on other J100’s are a similar profile & I’m hoping some owners might be kind enough to chime in & let me know about necks & anything else worth watching for when considering J100’s. Thanks!

Congrats on your new J-100, and welcome!

I believe you will find that over the years, there has been a lot of variation in neck profiles on J-100s. If this is a crucial playability factor for you (it is for me!), it would be best to have any instrument under consideration in-hand, or assure the return policy is reasonable.

I currently own a 2000 J-100xtra, with a maple body & mahogany neck. The profile on it's neck is rather slim & fast - not full or chunky at all.

I've also owned a 1996 J-100xtra, with a mahogany body & mahogany neck. The neck on this one could indeed be described as chunky - so much so in fact, that I could never bond with it.

I haven't played a recent J-100, but I have played the J-35, and it's neck was somewhere in between - rather full, but not overwhelmingly so.

Best of luck in searching out another one - they are fine guitars.

Congrats on your new J-100, and welcome!

I believe you will find that over the years, there has been a lot of variation in neck profiles on J-100s. If this is a crucial playability factor for you (it is for me!), it would be best to have any instrument under consideration in-hand, or assure the return policy is reasonable.

I currently own a 2000 J-100xtra, with a maple body & mahogany neck. The profile on it's neck is rather slim & fast - not full or chunky at all.

I've also owned a 1996 J-100xtra, with a mahogany body & mahogany neck. The neck on this one could indeed be described as chunky - so much so in fact, that I could never bond with it.

I haven't played a recent J-100, but I have played the J-35, and it's neck was somewhere in between - rather full, but not overwhelmingly so.

Best of luck in searching out another one - they are fine guitars.

Thanks so much for the info Bobouz! I know when it comes to Gibson there can be a LOT of detail variation between years but info like this helps me decide if I really want to drive several hours to check out a guitar that might not work for me at all. I’m 6’4 with big hands so the big Jumbo body & that 50’s round neck are sooo perfect for me. How did you find the tonal differences between your maple & mahogany J100’s? I played 2 shows with my SJ100 last week & was very happy how balanced it sounded with the newly installed Baggs M80 soundhole pickup. No feedback issues at all unlike my old Eastman E10D dread. I played one show before that with the stock Anthem pickup which I really didn’t care for at all for the vintage Honky Tonk, Rockabilly & Blues music I play....

I’m 6’4 with big hands so the big Jumbo body & that 50’s round neck are sooo perfect for me. How did you find the tonal differences between your maple & mahogany J100’s?

Along with the two J-100s, I also owned a 2001 J-150, which is very similar to the J-100xtra - just a bit more bling, but still with an unbound fingerboard. This one had a maple body & maple neck. The neck profile was more in line with the '50s neck profile - so again, lots of variations re the neck carve.

As for tone, the mahogany J-100 was well balanced & very full in tone from top to bottom. The maple J-100, which I still own, is more percussive & has a pronounced thump to the bass, along with quicker note decay. The maple J-150 was not as bass heavy (more balanced from top to bottom), but otherwise shared the percussive & quick decay characteristics often associated with maple bodies.

Along with the two J-100s, I also owned a 2001 J-150, which is very similar to the J-100xtra - just a bit more bling, but still with an unbound fingerboard. This one had a maple body & maple neck. The neck profile was more in line with the '50s neck profile - so again, lots of variations re the neck carve.

As for tone, the mahogany J-100 was well balanced & very full in tone from top to bottom. The maple J-100, which I still own, is more percussive & has a pronounced thump to the bass, along with quicker note decay. The maple J-150 was not as bass heavy (more balanced from top to bottom), but otherwise shared the percussive & quick decay characteristics often associated with maple bodies.

Thanks again for the info Bobouz. To be honest, this SJ100 Walnut that I picked up is the first Gibson Jumbo I’ve tried that really sounded good to my ears. Every other J100/200 I’ve played over the years sounded kind of “distant” like the top couldn’t really move enough. I’d love to find a maple J100. Now that I know how good they can sound. the hunt is on for another....🙂

Archived