Gibson Brands Forums

Round (er) Picks...

Murph

I can shred the heck out of a mandolin with the rounded edge picks (the ones I have are the Wegens 1.0) but the guitars lose tone with them. No bite. Accuracy is also an issue at times, but I'm sure that's a matter of practice.

I used to (many decades ago) use a Dunlop nylon turned to the rounded edge all the time with electrics. I tended to get thicker with age (shudup…) and going all acoustic.

Any of youse guys use rounder picks like Dawgs or something?

I round off, bevel and re-polish half my stash, Dunlop Ultex and Primetone, and otherwise play with strum/pick angles constantly. Sometimes I just annoy myself with all the micromanagement.

The only thing I can shred is salad veggies.

I actually did, in fact, try a pick with a similar shape as your left photograph recently. I have come to like Primetone, about a 1.3 and it's a standard pick shape. At first, I thought I had discovered something good but no, I have gone back to standard shape. Another couple months off and on trying and I'll figure it out.

Round edged picks are what I use as they give me a tone that appeals to me.......fat and warm, as opposed to the biting, shrill tone of a point edge. You say on the guitar a round pick loses tone......for me the opposite is true......the round edge is the tone. It's all in the ear of the player. I like the way a round edge pushes through the strings smoothly, be it for single note playing or strumming. You use such a critter on your mandolin, Murph, so you know how that round edge can be moved so much more cleanly through the strings.

My two go to picks: 1.5mm JB celluloid, when I want a touch of brightness, and my trusty ol' BC TPR50......I never leave home without it.....well...at least when my guitar is coming along too......

AL3hVeE.jpg

I use standard teardrop shaped picks but always use one of the two rounded corners, instead of the pointy end. I like BC picks for this because all three corners are bevelled.

Holding the pick this way also makes it more stable between my fingers, since a longer part of the pick is in my hand.

Lars

I use standard teardrop shaped picks but always use one of the two rounded corners, instead of the pointy end. I like BC picks for this because all three corners are bevelled.

Holding the pick this way also makes it more stable between my fingers, since a longer part of the pick is in my hand.

Lars

My pick always ends up this way too

I never ever play with the pointy end aimed at the strings

Round edged picks are what I use as they give me a tone that appeals to me.......fat and warm, as opposed to the biting, shrill tone of a point edge. You say on the guitar a round pick loses tone......for me the opposite is true......the round edge is the tone. It's all in the ear of the player. I like the way a round edge pushes through the strings smoothly, be it for single note playing or strumming. You use such a critter on your mandolin, Murph, so you know how that round edge can be moved so much more cleanly through the strings.

Good point, Buc.

Actually, I WILL use the rounder ones on guitar from time to time. My problem using them on guitar is intricate lead solos, and getting the extra volume for acoustics. I tend to be a little less accurate because of the slight lack of real estate too sometimes. A lot of tone is adjustable with attack, like I said I used to use .38 Nylons turned to the round side on electrics in some pretty heavy rock bands. That just seems weird to me now.

I might buy a TPR (I use the 40) Blue Chip just to experiment with.

I run teardrop picks, mostly pearloid. Medium for strumming and normal use; heavy for solos, fills, and whatnot.

Through use, those picks round themselves off as time goes by. I find if they end up too round, precise picking suffers and I can no longer strum fast because the pick, since it no longer has a tip, gets stuck in the strings and I might lose it in the soundhole or someplace else.

Gibson now makes pearloid teardrop pick as well (medium and heavy), but I have yet to get my hands on them since they are still unavailable here.

I recently bought these Elvis medium gauge poly picks, and I quite like them on my J-180—precise and clear.

26903141201.MAIN.jpg

I find if they end up too round, precise picking suffers and I can no longer strum fast because the pick, since it no longer has a tip, gets stuck in the strings.......

All comes down to style, me thinks. I find the opposite to be true: a pointy pick gets hung up in the strings while a rounded edge glides right through effortlessly. All things guitar are so very subjective to the player.........part of the allure of the instrument, it seems.

I scoffed for awhile at BC Picks. What $35 dollars for a (one) pick are you out of your mind? Let me tell you my BC Pick is without a doubt the best pick I own next to my Gravity and V-Picks.

I have a TD35, and now also 2; TD40's.

The Wegens (the white one with the holes) is a pretty cool pick as well. The point is less pointed (more rounded) and they are FAST.

pJdv0mE.jpg

Archived