Gibson Brands Forums

Best combo for rock using 490T, 498T, or P90 bridge and neck pickups

OldGuitarGuy

I like to play mostly hard rock (Led Zeppelin, AC/DC etc) and have the following pickup choices to put into my Epiphone "1966" G-400 Pro or my Epiphone Les Paul:

1) Gibson 490T

2) Gibson 498T

3) Aftermarket TFW P90 Neck replacement

4) Aftermarket TFW P90 Bridge replacement

I can use any combination on the two guitars. Can anyone make any suggestions on how I might use a neck and bridge pickup combo (out of the four choices) on each guitar? I am not afraid to mix and match if it makes sense for great sound.

Also, I originally thought I had a 490R to match with the 498T but the back of the humbucker I thought was a 490R has a "T" stamped on the back.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I know what the 490T, and 498T sound like, and they are rock-solid.

I am intrigued though by the TFW P-90's.

They seem like they would help you to kick it up a notch, and they really are distinctive-looking.

So that's my vote.

I came to P-90's late in life, and I find myself wanting them more and more.

:)

I like to play mostly hard rock (Led Zeppelin, AC/DC etc) and have the following pickup choices to put into my Epiphone "1966" G-400 Pro or my Epiphone Les Paul:

1) Gibson 490T

2) Gibson 498T

I can use any combination on the two guitars. Can anyone make any suggestions on how I might use a neck and bridge pickup combo (out of the four choices) on each guitar? I am not afraid to mix and match if it makes sense for great sound.

Also, I originally thought I had a 490R to match with the 498T but the back of the humbucker I thought was a 490R has a "T" stamped on the back.

Thanks.

I JUST watched a youtube video where the "host"—who wasn't a poser, but a really knowledgable guy—commented on how Jimmy Page had an old "PAF" at the neck of his favorite Les Paul, and a different pickup at the bridge. Can't recall what the bridge pickup was.

1) Gibson 490T

2) Gibson 498T

Thanks.

The stock 490R/498T combination is OK. Although, I've switched the magnets between the two to make them more compatible. It made the neck pickup not too muffled and bridge pickup not so ear piercing. I also changed the volume pots to 500k Ohms. I seem to get the most compliment with this set up than any other types of Gibson pickups.

The "T" in 490T refers to pickups to be used next to the bridge due to wider slug/screw spacing. Likewise an "R" pickup should go on the neck side.

Funny, but all my vintage 60's Gibson's are all "R" sized, and does not seem to affect the tone/volume if placed on the bridge position. Then I'm an old fart and back then volume loudness was all we knew.

Good stuff! Thanks for your help. If I change the volume pots to 500k Ohms, does it matter what brand/model and should I change the tone pots too?

Most players use audio tapered 500k Ohms for both volume and tone... I just buy the Gibson brand (probably by CTS) since it's available at music stores. Other traditional brand is CTS; if you want push-pull for single/humbucker sound, Bourne or Alpha pots at 500k.

Some Gibsons use 300k Ohms linear for volume. Either way, it's what you prefer when using your knobs.

Have fun!

• 2 months later...